Superior Coaches key

Does anyone have any information about this key? I picked it up off of Craigslist, and the only info the seller was able to provide was that it had come from a late '60s - early '70s hearse. Were they used for many years? And does the crown on the key mean that it was a Crown hearse?

Attachments

• superiorkey.jpg
    superiorkey.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 419
  • superiorkey2.jpg
    superiorkey2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 419
looks like a dealer gift. just one of the things some dealers would give away to new buyers. or the parts room offered for sale. the question is does the blank fit your switch. I guessing that one is one of the later years. looks like to many lines for the 68. the interesting thing I did discover was my 53 pon and mt 68 cadillac take the same set of tumblers. nice find on the key

These were sent to or given to customers of new cars on or just after delivery. Some where around here I have a letter issued by the company regarding these keys. I'll have to dig it up to see when it was issued so that we can see the era we're talking about. Something makes me think this was in the early part of the '60s. The crown was a symbol of Superior in the early '60s.

Keith - thanks for the info - I wondered about the logo, as it does seem to be the early '60s, but the rectangular headed GM key doesn't come into use until 1969, from what I can find online. Until '68, GM used the octagon and tear drop headed keys. The back of the key is stamp A, which makes it a '71, '75, '79 or '83-86 key.

The A keys were introduced with the 1967 model year. You would need to try it in a "A" cylinder to know for certain if it is truly an "A" key, since I have seen a number of those "designer" keys marked with an "A" that were not correct for the "A" ignition cylinder lock...

I absolutely love it Jacob!

What's particularly intriguing is the combination of symbols. Most definitely Superior's crown design - which came about in '59 (although expanded and used more prominently on coaches beginning in '60). That Superior logo was on the downstroke by the mid-'50s and by the early '60s had been replaced with the stylized more modern S/C logo. For whatever reason, your key's iconography spans decades. Beautiful keepsake. :specool:

I absolutely love it Jacob!

That Superior logo was on the downstroke by the mid-'50s and by the early '60s had been replaced with the stylized more modern S/C logo.:

You know, Atti, you're right. I never really paid any attention to the logo itself but, that shield-type emblem was discarded with the introduction of the 1961 models when the stylized S/C logo was introduced. I've really gotta pay closer attention to things like this. That would make this key something that was issued in 1959 or 1950. I say that because there were no Crown models prior to 1959 and the new corporate logo was introduced with the 1961 models. Ergo, it's gotta be one of these two years. Would you concur? Now, I gotta find that Superor-issued letter that referred to these special keys.

The A keys were introduced with the 1967 model year. You would need to try it in a "A" cylinder to know for certain if it is truly an "A" key, since I have seen a number of those "designer" keys marked with an "A" that were not correct for the "A" ignition cylinder lock...

I had a chance to try it in the ignition of my '67, which uses the original GM "A" key, and it does not fit.

The crown on top may also just be the top of the Cadillac crest, the rest of it being under the glued on Superior logo.

If you see the key in person, you can tell there's nothing under the Superior logo, the key has a recessed square area made for the glued on badge, and the back side is plain, other than the stamped "A".

Back