Vinyl Top Treatment

Rick Franklin

PCS Member
Has anyone finally found a product to give their vinyl top a nice shine without having it run down the sides of the car whe it gets wet?......And I already know NOT to use ArmorAll. I'd like to spruce up the tops on both my hearse and my Fleetwood.

I found a convertible top spray that was nice, & it didn't get oily when it got wet & streak down the paint. When it's located out in the shop i'll post the name for you

Convertible Top Cleaner & Condissioner.

When I had my Victoria I used the same thing. I forget what the brand was, but I remember it was in a white spray bottle, and it did a really good jop, and it didn't streak the side of your car when it would rain on it. I might still have it laying around somewhere, I'll look also. I tried using tire wet, and it looked great, but like you said, when it would rain on it, it ran all down the side of the car.

Josh

After reading this thread...

Years ago, Turtle Wax made a fantastic vinyl top wax that went on sticky, but once it dried it was great. No streak, no washing off and for an indoor car stayed around a long time. When it forced off the shelves (contents? who knows...), a clean up man suggested Mop N Glo. It seemed to be exactly the same stuff, went on the same sticky way, did a terrific job. The 1990 Chevrolet still has a coat hanging in there.
After reading this thread, thought I would try to find something. I purchased some of Dr. Borkat's Ragg Vinyl Top Protectant, and a hearse dealer recommended Surf City Garage's Black Max.
I want something to go on and stay on like Turtle Wax or Mop N Glo, both of these have a slight milky appearance and I am cautious about putting anything on yet later, I don't want it to haunt me later by turning white in areas on the top.
I took a piece of vinyl top that was sent by the hearse dealer for the '08, and I have applied each of these products on one side of the vinyl top sample, and plan on leaving in the sun awhile, rain awhile, and wash off with the hose and see what happens.
Will let you know what happens.
(Disclaimer: Do not try this at home. For professional drivers on a controlled course only. Apply once every three days and if a rash develops please consult your medical professional. If legal or other requirements mean you must buy any items you did not specifically ask for, we will explain the reason in writing on the statement we provide describing the funeral goods and services you selected. Should this direction last more than 4 hours please consult a physician)

I just watch garage sales, estate sales, and antique malls for cans of vinyl top dressing from the '70s/'80s. It is surprising how many un-opened cans of this stuff there are still out there!

Vinyl Top

Pro Care use to make the best on the market called Pro Care Top Gloss but they have changed there formula and it is no better than Armour All. I have used clear liquid floor wax, like the old future brand.

Has anyone tried Future lately? I used the newer formulation of Mop N Glo and made a Mop N Mess...

Edit: [Oh, I just realized how old the original post was.]

Rick, have you tried Griot's yet? If you are ever in Tacoma we should go to their retail shop. I used to think they were just a high-priced equivalent of everything else, but they might win me over into giving them a try. (They use to be located in Fife, WA, then loved into a neat old Coca-Cola bottling plant on 38th Street in Tacoma. Plus they host cars shows on Saturdays.) They do have a dizzying array of products, and each line of products confuses me. But they are good at answering questions, and you can even bring your car by and pull it into their demonstration bay where they will instruct you on how to use their different products.

"Vinyl" search:

Vinyl top black dye treatment:

Off the top of my head, I'd be cautious of the film Future leaves, but that's only a gut-feeling. Plastic model builders use Future as a clear-coat and to dip clear parts in to make them look super-clear. (I used to use Pledge on an old vinyl top. I don't remember how well it worked, though.)

Last edited:
Ive talked to the (twenty somethings) "experts from Griots that have booths at car shows and they seem perplexed at what a vinyl top is!

I have always used Armor ALL and NEVER any bad effects. I don't slather it on either, just a thin coat once or twice a year. I do it in the sun and let it "bake" in the sun all day after its done. Its never ran down the sides, or damaged the top.

I have found some stuff called Eco-touch tire shine. No solvents, plant based conditioning agents. Gives off a wicked shine.

After being outside in the sun, the heavy rain, and me pouring water out of the dehumidifier everytime I emptied it, the vinyl top sample did well and looks great on the side of the Ragg Top Protectant that Adam recommended. The Surf City stuff has a black film on it now, it looked great the first 5 days...
So... not a scientific study, but enough for me to put a light coast of Ragg Top on the '96 S & S Lincoln and see it does...

Back