Parking brake cables

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to replace my parking brake cables to pass an *insurance safety inspection*
And I'm also sure cables for a `54 Pontiac Superior aren't at the parts store down the street. Anyone have any ideas on how to make up new cables?
I was thinking about just buying a length of new steel cable of the proper dia. then welding the ends on that attach to the brake shoe.

Thoughts?

http://www.pontiacregistry.com/ sign up here and use there vendors. they are a valuable source of parts for the poncho line. as GM cars interchange a lot you really need to get with people that are car specific. were these people have no Ida on the superior stuff they can help a lot on the pon stuff.
I got the kit for my carb from a vendor in Iowa belts hoses from one in calf threw them. most of the stuff is correct for your year and not home made or generic stuff. these people are into restoring and hot rodding so you have to mix and match what you need. but most of the common stuff you can get new. you might be surprised just what you can get down at the locale parts store. a lot of this stuff covers years. just don't say its for a Hearse as that will throw them off. say it's for the pon wagon. were the splice was made you'll find superior solved the extending problem on every car differently. but most of the time it's straightforward how the did it.

Rick,
If you are near an airport see if you can find a place that makes control cables for aircraft. We had a fellow out here in Victoria that solved his emerg. cable problem that way.
Cheers,Pat

Back