Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tool Box

So PCS Gurus, what should you always carry with you in your tool box, and especially if your doing the parade venue with your classic car???
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Owens For This Useful Post:
Joseph G Unrein (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 08:51 PM
PCS Member

Default Parades are their own challenge

Assuming you've checked all fluid levels in advance....

Water - several gallons - for the radiator.
Last week I bought fire extinguishers for all my vehicles- especially made for vehicle and marine fires. (Home Depot).
Cold drinking water.
Watch your water temperature! All stuff I've learned.....

Enjoy!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Lynch For This Useful Post:
Denny Shira (07-23-2014), Joseph G Unrein (07-23-2014), Mike Owens (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,377 Times in 3,713 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

cell phone and AAA membership card
James Fischer (07-22-2014), Joseph G Unrein (07-23-2014), Mike Owens (07-23-2014), Pat Post (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:34 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,018 Posts

Suggestions from a retired towman.
#1 three gallons of water in plastic jugs
#2 Good set of jumper cables (NO Chinese cheapies Cadillacs draw a lot of amps)
#3 three quarts of transmission fluid in bottles not cans
#4 a funnel to put it in with
#5 a combo phillips strait slot screwdriver
#6 Cheapie Walmart/Harbor Freight 3/8 drive socket set
#7 Spare Alternator/Generator belt
#8 Spare Power Steering belt
Advanced Care
#1 top Radiator Hose
#2 Bottom Radiator hose
#3 three feet of correct size heater hose (this way you can bridge entire heater system in the event of failure)
#4 Spare fuel filter
That all may sound like overkill but will get you back on the road quick without AAA and "you expect me to haul that??" and you all have the room in your coaches. Plus walking into NAPA with I need a fan belt for a 1958 Cadillac is sure to get you "We can have it by Tuesday" not good when you are 50 miles from home.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peter Grave For This Useful Post:
Denny Shira (07-24-2014), James Shao (07-23-2014), Joseph G Unrein (07-23-2014), Mike Owens (07-23-2014), Scott Crittenden (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,620 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Grave View Post
Advanced Care
#1 top Radiator Hose
#2 Bottom Radiator hose
#3 three feet of correct size heater hose (this way you can bridge entire heater system in the event of failure)
#4 Spare fuel filter
That all may sound like overkill but will get you back on the road quick without AAA and "you expect me to haul that??" and you all have the room in your coaches. Plus walking into NAPA with I need a fan belt for a 1958 Cadillac is sure to get you "We can have it by Tuesday" not good when you are 50 miles from home.
WOW, guess Im under prepared, don't like the clutter. 24 years of driving them daily, and Im lucky if I have a screw driver and a quart of oil in one
1985 Eureka Pontiac Chieftain hearse
1995 Superior Chevrolet Chancellor hearse
See all my pro cars past and present in my photo album
Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Super Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Royark JR View Post
WOW, guess Im under prepared, don't like the clutter. 24 years of driving them daily, and Im lucky if I have a screw driver and a quart of oil in one
I find that I don't prepare the same for daily driving as I do if I'm traveling. If I break down in my daily travels, help (and my own toolbox / parts) are generally just a phone call away, and I really don't carry much in the car. A trip out of the area, or a parade, I definitely give more thought to. Pete's list is a pretty good one - I would add a roll of good electrical tape (not the cheap stuff) - I've made it a hundred miles on an upper radiator hose repaired with a few wraps of the stuff, and don't overlook your spare tire - make sure it's aired up, and you have an appropriate jack and lug wrench. While the original scissor jack that came with most of our cars may win us originality points at the show, I've tried to lift my car with it, and much prefer the convenience of a hydraulic jack.
For parade service, I would suggest that you can't place too much importance on the cooling system - a marginal cooling system will suffice when you're out on the open road, but a long run at low speed can quickly overheat your car. Make sure the system is clean internally, the radiator fins not plugged with dirt and debris, new hoses, appropriate antifreeze mixture, water pump working and in good shape, new thermostat (I'd go with one of the fail safe ones that's supposed to fail in the open position if it fails.), fan belts in good shape and tight. Also, make sure the transmission is up to snuff - service it if it hasn't been done recently, make sure the fluid is a good color, and doesn't smell burnt and is kept at the correct level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Grave View Post
Advanced Care
#1 top Radiator Hose
#2 Bottom Radiator hose
#4 Spare fuel filter
Pete - Excellent list, but I have to get in one little jab -
Where are you still buying transmission fluid in cans?
1976 S & S Cadillac Professional High Body ambulance (Roxbury, NJ Chemical Engine Co. #2)
1947 A. J. Miller Cadillac Duplex combination
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob M. Fournier For This Useful Post:
Joseph G Unrein (07-23-2014), Mike Owens (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Website Member

Home, garage, workshop, vehicle - wherever - mount the extinguisher so it stays in one place, allowing everyone to always know its location. Regularly look at the gauge to ensure the needle is in the operable zone. Recharge after ANY use, regardless what the needle indicates, since residual extinguishing agent may cause a slow leak of what remains. If a carbon dioxide extinguisher, which has no gauge, regularly weigh it to ensure it matches the weight listed on the neck. If an extinguisher has a testing device, such as a pin, press it regularly to ensure it "springs back."

Extinguishers are "fire-specific" - Class A (wood, paper), B (flammable/combustible liquids), and/or C (energized electrical equipment). Packaging which indicates an extinguisher provides protection for certain items is an unfortunate marketing ploy. An A-B-C extinguisher is suitable for general use.

Mount extinguishers near exits so escape routes are more easily accessed. Get as close to the fire as possible and aim the extinguisher at its base. Use it in spurts, conserving it for flare-ups. Try to attack from upwind. Expect the extinguishing agent, except carbon dioxide, to cause coughing & eye irritation.

All this is easily said, and I realize "things happen" in the heat - no pun intended - of the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Ramsey For This Useful Post:
Joseph G Unrein (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 AM
PCS Rocky Mountain Chapter President

Thanks for the list, but donít forget hose clamps. If you destroy one getting it off, your new hose is worthless.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph G Unrein For This Useful Post:
Scott Crittenden (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Website Member

Thanked 1,808 Times in 733 Posts
Groans: 2

I have never been in a parade with the Eureka or Horton but the Eureka has electric fans on it so I put an over-ride switch on it so I can turn the fans on all the time........the Horton is belt driven so its running all the time. I was watching a few fire muster parades on UTUBE and noticed that some parades the Fire Trucks are spread out so the are moving and can get some air flow while some parades are all bunched up and hardly moving.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:06 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,620 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob M. Fournier View Post
I find that I don't prepare the same for daily driving as I do if I'm traveling. If I break down in my daily travels, help (and my own toolbox / parts) are generally just a phone call away, and I really don't carry much in the car. A trip out of the area, or a parade, I definitely give more thought to.
Even a trip to the store is an hour away, so Im always somewhat out of the area. I do many parades and used to travel all over. I guess I figured Im better off without tools in my hand, and I check everything before I leave, so far it has worked, or Im just lucky. My cars are driven much more than most drive their collector cars (some here are lucky to put 200 miles a year, which I don't understand), so I don't have the issues with cars get that sit more than run.
One thing I know some people carry I haven't heard mentioned yet is points and condenser.
1985 Eureka Pontiac Chieftain hearse
1995 Superior Chevrolet Chancellor hearse
See all my pro cars past and present in my photo album