Flasher? Question

Bill Marcy

PCS Member
Under the hood, sitting on top of the inner wheel housing, sits a little round thing, I am told it makes the bullet lights on my 1968 Superior flash and switch from one side to the other. What is the correct name for it? Where might I be able to buy one? Can I find an original-type, or will I only find after-market? Any advice appreciated.

Did it look like this? Motorized flasher. Motor turns a cam that causes contacts to pass current to the lights. Depending on how it is wired can alternate side to side/front to back. This was on my 1968 M-M and flashed sealed beams on front and back. Ful-Vu's on it now.

Attachments

• 20150422_182400.jpg
    20150422_182400.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 372
superior had a smaller one. but the first thing to check is it still wired in. they were a fairly rugged unit. and as I have often said the hardest part of these cars it to get them back to the way they were. with superiors creative wiring it may have gotten disconnected at any time.

Superior used flashers from Julian McDermott Company from Long Island N.Y.. You can purchase a replacement point package from them, however they are expensive. This flasher is no longer shown on their website, so you will have to call for pricing.
JULIAN A. McDERMOTT CORP.
1639 Stephen Street, Ridgewood, NY 11385
Tel. (800) 842-5708 or (718) 456-3606

Did it look like this? Motorized flasher. Motor turns a cam that causes contacts to pass current to the lights. Depending on how it is wired can alternate side to side/front to back. This was on my 1968 M-M and flashed sealed beams on front and back. Ful-Vu's on it now.

Mine looks different, it is lower and wider.

superior had a smaller one. but the first thing to check is it still wired in. they were a fairly rugged unit. and as I have often said the hardest part of these cars it to get them back to the way they were. with superiors creative wiring it may have gotten disconnected at any time.

Mine is connected and it will flash with a little help. We had it open and it looks okay. The problems are that it does not flash and the bullet lights on the front seem to be not as bright as the bullets in the rear. I had a very good automotive electrician look at the wiring, etc and he advised me to get a new flasher, or whatever you call it.

Superior used flashers from Julian McDermott Company from Long Island N.Y.. You can purchase a replacement point package from them, however they are expensive. This flasher is no longer shown on their website, so you will have to call for pricing.
JULIAN A. McDERMOTT CORP.
1639 Stephen Street, Ridgewood, NY 11385
Tel. (800) 842-5708 or (718) 456-3606

I'll check it out tomorrow.

if it 's flashing rear OK and not the front's . when you check into it it look OK. the next thing I would do is check the ground for the top lights. those brass screws would corrode on the back side of the bulbs . the contacts would brake loose from the back of the bulbs and need soldering. any number of things. you looked at at one end and it looked, good check the other.

the man may be a vary competent. doesn't mean he wasn't pressed for time that day.

simple test is to switch the leads from the front to the rear. it still flashes the same in't not the flasher.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. But, something that might be of interest to everybody is the following;

Paul Steinberg suggested Julian McDermott Company of Ridgewood, NY. I called and was very pleasantly surprised. After speaking to a receptionist, I was turned over to Vernon. I told him that I need a flasher for my 1968 Superior Pontiac ambulance, to which he replied "Oh, you need a TG-12-90, we have it!" I asked him if it would be the same as the one I have and he said yes. He went on to tell me that they have been in business for seventy five years and he said that they make emergency LED lights, marine lights, light bars, etc. It was very interesting to speak with Vernon, he seems to have lots of knowledge about these items and he has many pieces of information. I was thoroughly impressed.

Thanks to Paul for his recommendation. I will try to attach a file of a page from McDermott's website showing my flasher.

Attachments

• Scan0013.pdf
    632.8 KB · Views: 309
Here is the picture!

It took me a while, but I finally just took a picture of the page.

Attachments

• flowers 007.jpg
    flowers 007.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 263
Flasher unit arrived yesterday and it is great to have the exact original to replace the old one. And kudos to the company, they are fantastic to deal with.

Well, it is in and flashing perfectly.

Thanks to Paul Steinberg for the lead. I was thrilled with Julian A McDermott Company.

Ed, I will put the old flasher in the mail to you tomorrow. You might be able to repair it, I hope you can.

Back