Darn radiator

At the car show last week I noticed a little antifreeze on the ground and as one would expect, worried I had issues. Yesterday I broke the Lifeliner out and brought her up to temp. While running no leak but within a few minutes of turning her off it began.

Turns out I have a lifetime warranty so radiator is being replaced at no cost. Believe it or not but took me less than 15 minutes to pull her out. My issue is the lower transmission cooling line twisted on me. It broke free from radiator but the line twisted even with added support and WD-40 at the joint.

I'm doing the work myself but my mechanic says he will get me a new line, about 20 inches in length, which will screw in to the radiator but I will need to cut the line and I can use a compression fitting to re-attach the cooling line back from the engine a bit on a strraight area.

Hope it works and glad to find out now instead of being on the road to Houston.

:Exclamation:

they do that. the needle nose vice gripes will some times let you get on the first fitting. you get to looking and it's surprising how many cars have the rubber jumper hose

Trans Line

The best way is to flare both ends and put in a union. Napa and most of the parts store sell a poly lined tubing that you can bend by hand without kinking. You can use rubber line but make sure its transmission line not fuel line or a low pressure style of rubber line. The rubber transmission line is rated for the pressure. I installed a cooler on the 65 and put it in series with the radiator and had a tight bend to make and the poly line worked great. If you use a compression fitting it tends to cut the flow down it will work but not the best repair. It is a pain but to make it right you need to pull the line out and make a whole new one. A few company's make pre bent lines but I do not know if they make it for your application.

Attachments

• DSC03334.jpg
    DSC03334.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC03336.jpg
    DSC03336.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 269
So Ed, will a rubber jumper hose (line cut and rubber hose with clamp on each end) should seal it enough?

will I never said it was the proper way to do it just that it's done a lot. I never got lucky enough to have one brake that far back. but if yours is really close to the end re-flaring it may be all you need. usually the nut fitting rust to the line and that's what gives you the problem. just make sure you have enough slack to make up the difference with out laying the line on the exhaust

I pickup the new radiator this Sunday when home for the day as well as the line my mechanic says will work. He did say I need to cut the tranny line and he will supply me with a coupler so shouldn't be that bad.

I'll keep yall' in the loop!

Inline Tube makes exact reproduction replacement transmission cooler lines in both steel & stainless steel for your car.

Radiator in, line cut and new compression fitting on. Next step is to fill the radiator, add more tranny fluid, and test her out.

Fingers crossed the tranny line is ok. We'll see....

to test the tranny line just hold the brake in gear and let her rear up. it will either come apart right now or not. but don't add any ATF until is warm. with what you did you probably only down 1/2 quart .

to test the tranny line just hold the brake in gear and let her rear up. it will either come apart right now or not. but don't add any ATF until is warm. with what you did you probably only down 1/2 quart .

All in and tested. Only issue is while wrestling with the coupler I tweeked tranny line causing a small in it further up the line. Going to get a rubber piece and clamp over it and take to AAMCO and replace the line.

just order them from inline brake. the set we put on Paul's was dead on. it sould like yours has gone the way of Ohio . there price is good. and getting some one to put them on ready formed is easy enough.

Well..... In-Line does not offer my year Cadillac transmission lines so back to square one. I did trim the line and use a rubber connector so at least I'm able to drive to the shop for the repairs. No visible leak at this point. Just to gain access to the line to and install the rubber piece I had to remove the BIGA$$ alternator. Fun fun....
The transmission shop can change the lines and told me if I got the proper lines it would be fairly inexpensive. But they would have to charge me hourly if they had to bend them but they can.

I've searched the internet with no luck locating pre-done lines for a 1973 Cadillac. Any information would be great!

Back