Accepting delivery of Criterion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Karsnia - Deceased - 1971-2020

September 12, 1971 - November 2, 2020
OK, before anybody gets all excited, this was from 1994 when Joe Klein and I drove out to Jordan, Montana to take delivery of the 1974 Criterion I'd been awarded bid on. I was told the rig would be waiting in front of the Garfield County Court House, and so it was, as seen in this photo. Not quite the mental image I had, but Jordan is a small town almost literally in the middle of nowhere. The lady getting out of the Suburban was the county clerk, who arrived to do the paperwork with me.

This is the same car we've been discussing in another thread. It also relates to our discussion of whtewall vs. blackwall tires. You can't see the tires too well in this photo, but take my word for it...they were HUGE! The rims were so large they would not take a standard Cadillac wheelcover. Garfield County used this car for long distance transfers (again, ANYWHERE from Jordan was a long distance!) so they wanted large tires for road stability, especially in the winter.

Correct tires and rims were the first items to go on the car once I got it home.

Attachments

• jordan.jpg
    jordan.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 152
OK, before anybody gets all excited, this was from 1994 when Joe Klein and I drove out to Jordan, Montana to take delivery of the 1974 Criterion I'd been awarded bid on. I was told the rig would be waiting in front of the Garfield County Court House, and so it was, as seen in this photo. Not quite the mental image I had, but Jordan is a small town almost literally in the middle of nowhere. The lady getting out of the Suburban was the county clerk, who arrived to do the paperwork with me.

This is the same car we've been discussing in another thread. It also relates to our discussion of whtewall vs. blackwall tires. You can't see the tires too well in this photo, but take my word for it...they were HUGE! The rims were so large they would not take a standard Cadillac wheelcover. Garfield County used this car for long distance transfers (again, ANYWHERE from Jordan was a long distance!) so they wanted large tires for road stability, especially in the winter.

Correct tires and rims were the first items to go on the car once I got it home.

Glad you cleared up this was from 1994. I was hoping by now I had made enough connections that if a Criterion ever became available, someone would give me a shout.
Looks beautiful.

Richard

them city slickers. spend 1 hr in 8 lanes of traffic to go 30 miles and there happy. a leisurely drive off 100 miles for 45 minutes or so in the open air and they think it will last forever. the same set up with a nice wheel cover would look good. they just don't make any that stay on at 140 MPH even baby moons or dog dish have to have holes in them to keep them in place at that speed. but I agree white wall tires do dress up a car. my 72 with the red crosses and the us army on the door looks wrong with them on wheel covers off or on. the Seville looks about 10 time sharper with the original duel white walls and the deluxe wheel covers as it does with the narrow ones on it right now. if you had told me it had the duel strips on it from the factory I would not have believed you. but when you get the right width and style side wall on the car you really know it. I have seen a lot of the 71 to 76 full size cars with the wide white walls and to me they look off. 6 door maybe. but the set that Leeann has on that gold 6 door the gold and white stripe ones. one glance and you say yes. good year gold line tires were the top dog and on the big cars they look right. you know they look right when you can walk past and you eyes keep being drawn to the car and you can't say why. whole line of them and your eyes will pick out the one that is the most correct every time. but you really can't say why.

long post just to say your right a caddy with out white walls might as well have a set of truckers mirrors on it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back