backwoods weekend hearse hunt

Started at a yard I've been to many times. This trip I was told the '66 Miller Meteor wreck is going to be scrapped soon. Grabbed a machete and hedge clippers to hike over and give it a thorough viewing. Already knew a couple items that should be pulled, add the cherry rear bumper to the list:

dsc05120w.jpg

Then hail hit. Big hail that lasted for almost 20 minutes and left welts. Ducking under a cluster of trees proved worthless.

dsc05121h.jpg

Hail ceased, rain continued. Wheelbarrow half filled, chest pockets even filled up...surprised my phone still works.

dsc05124p.jpg

Soaked to the bone, it was an early quitting day. Hit a McD's parking lot for WiFi and proceeded to call every junk/wrecking/scrap/tow yard in the direction I was venturing. If you've watched American Pickers, this is the equivalent of 'freestyling'.

One small tow yard had a '72 or '73. Off I went~

dsc05209y.jpg

Turned out being a '72 Miller Meteor endloader. Fair amount of rust, intact, good parts unit. Both front and rear compartments were loaded to the ceiling with 'stuff'.

dsc05210bl.jpg

I bought the reverse light lenses and bezels amidst mosquito breeding grounds. Owner said to call a day in advance when I next pass through and he'll have it cleaned out for more parts picking. Rollers, landaus...what else would you guys want?

dsc05212k.jpg

This guy provided 2 more leads, first was a couple towns away - another '72. Received permission to go view without anyone being home.

GPS doesn't help much on a dirt road with no address. Directions proved accurate. A miniature designer chicken was guarding the '72 S&S Victoria endloader.

dsc05235d.jpg

Soon as I stepped out of the car, a 'bear' was making deep guttural noises LOUDLY. I'd never heard these sounds before. Wasn't about to linger.

This coach runs & drives. Last plated in '09.

dsc05230f.jpg

Roof developed a hole/leak that destroyed front compartment. That's when the owner stopped driving it. Rear compartment however is in great shape.

dsc05232g.jpg

Uncertain if the owner will part this or sell whole or what.

dsc05233i.jpg

Intrigued, needed to find the source of animal sounds. They'd morphed into crazy deep howls that lasted over 30 seconds. Almost a 1/4 mile away on same property....

dsc05236a.jpg

This Bloodhound was a solid 150 pounds - no joke. (I've had several Mastiffs from 100-225 pounds and can gauge weight fairly accurately.) No idea they reached this size! This big boy's vocal awareness started in his haunches, jettisoning forward, easily sounding twice his size. Impressive. Quite friendly too.

Next lead was a wrecking yard. They only had maybe a dozen vintage units left, with a focus on late model. Everything old had been scrapped within the last 2 years - including a '54 Henney Packard hearse. Received up another lead there though.

Saw the '70 Miller Meteor endloader through the fence at a scrap metal yard pulling up. Talk about an unfinished project...

dsc05249fw.jpg

Wait, are axles supposed to be there?

dsc05244gg.jpg

Nope!

dsc05240pz.jpg

This rear compartment was crisp as well. Who would have thought 2 royal blue interiors in the same day? Bizarre.

Yes, I noticed cot bar mounts. Yes, it is a straight endloader and not a combination.

dsc05241x.jpg

dsc05243b.jpg

dsc05248r.jpg

No church truck. Had an issue recently peering into a subfloor compartment and am not getting close again anytime soon so I had an employee look. Heh.

This is another great parts coach. Awaiting owner to get back to me on a few items. If someone needs an interior though... Best piece I saw was the beautiful rear bumper, given condition rarity:

dsc05242r.jpg

Easy crawling underneath to inspect how perfect backside of bumper blades were. Guess sitting high off ground has advantages. Other than a small amount of rust in lower driver's fender, rest of coach was clean.

Fun weekend seeing 'new' coaches.

I wish I had the time/ resources to go explore and seek out all these coaches but I would end up coming home with too many... on the plus side i'd have mine fixed in no time.

Ok Attila, get that bumper and get this behind us. Deal?

Nice try. Gullible I am not.

It is not okay and your antics are most definitely behind me. Takes some nerve after repeated public personal attacks asking for anything. The cloud of drama you surround yourself with supersedes any effort on my part.

Although Einstein's oft-quoted definition of insanity applies, Tom Morris' does more so:

"Sometimes doing the same thing a second time when it hasn’t worked the first is indeed just foolish. But sometimes it’s shrewd. Wisdom consists, in part, in knowing the difference. Flexibility is a virtue. But in most matters, flexibility properly kicks in only after persistence has been given a fair chance."

I will not engage you directly. Find an intermediary capable of paying cash in person or PayPal in advance, no haggling, no shipping COD. You're the one that is desperate; these are the terms. When this '70 bumper comes through I'll have 3 good lefts and 2 good rights. So we're clear, any further commentary on your part about this matter goes through a third party.

It's so obvious your continued showing of rear bumpers is a slight towards me. I'm not desperate for a bumper but merely would like one if one became available. I'm quite content with what I have and one day one will appear.

Remember Attila, you contacted me about the bumper in the first place and if ever we were to move past this issue between us, a follow through on your part with the goods clearly would make me a huge fan. I have larger issues with my Lifeliner than to worry about rear bumper replacement.

I thought extending an olive branch would work but obviously I was wrong. I'm still interested in the bumper but will not grovel knowing there are plenty of PCS members looking for one.

Chrome tape works for me.

Thank you.

PS: I certainly do enjoy all the pictures you post though. :applause:

I will not engage you directly. Find an intermediary capable of paying cash in person or PayPal in advance, no haggling, no shipping COD.

Agreed. Paul Steinberg will be the third party handling this for me and will be more than happy to pay cash upon delivery of the bumpers.

Just let Paul know when and where this is to take place keeping in mind this cannot happen in Texas but near Paul's area. The best place would be at the PCS Meet in Ohio.

Glad to get this cleared up and trust you are a man of your word.

Richard

Looks like a 1961 MM Cadillac on that album cover.

Maybe he had a few different hearses over the years.

I would like to have that back door !

Darren

P.S. I would like to write a book on bands who used hearses.

Atti-
You are the frickin Indiana Jones of pro cars but I gotta ask; what was under the floor that spooked you? I could see opening up that compartment door and saying hello to a rattler which keeps me from searching junk yards. (For me a garter snake would do the same thing)

P.S. I would like to write a book on bands who used hearses.

There is a picture thread on another forum started last year just for hearse driving bands. Learned how many there were!

what was under the floor that spooked you?

Spooking me doesn't happen.

Really really potent human decomposition that leaked into the subfloor compartment where it remained unventilated for a substantial amount of time did the trick. First time I ever almost blew chunks while passing out simultaneously. Not the most intelligent move on my part being that close. 2 witnesses were laughing uncontrollably. Funny stuff!

Spooking me doesn't happen.

Really really potent human decomposition that leaked into the subfloor compartment where it remained unventilated for a substantial amount of time did the trick. First time I ever almost blew chunks while passing out simultaneously. Not the most intelligent move on my part being that close. 2 witnesses were laughing uncontrollably. Funny stuff![/QUOTE]

I will take decomposition over a snake any day

Back