'69 MM electrical question

Background:
I'm working on a friend's '69 MM 48" and the rear full-vue lights are inoperative. Checked the MM fuse panel under the passenger side of the dash using a test light and found the fuse is good. I really suspect the rocker switch is bad as he said the lights work intermittently but I need to drop the panel (roof mounted) to check this out. And as both rear lights are inoperative this is my starting spot and best suspect too.

Anyway, the two questions are since the switch is downstream from the fuse panel (as the fuse is hot with switch on or off) is there a relay that controls the lights after the switch or is it direct wired to the switch? If so equipped with a relay where would it be located?

Secondly, what do I do for a rocker switch? I would like to match the others if possible and really do not want to change all them out. This is too nice of a unit to mix and match if at all possible.

The fastest way to know is to remove the cover from one of the rear lights, and probe for 12 volts. If you have voltage at the fixture, the problem is in the motor and / or bulbs. If no power, then just remove the 2 screws that secure the panel to the headliner / roof section, and check for voltage going into the switch and coming out of the switch. If there is voltage going in, and not coming out, then it is a defective switch. I can probably find one for you, if it is a simple on / off rocker. There are a few different configurations of the switch used, so a picture will be helpful for identification purposes.

Thank you Paul. I'm replacing the batteries and a stop lamp switch in the next couple of weeks in this car. Also the battery switch is going bad so that will be a future project.

I'm extremely careful when I do anything to this car as I don't want to damage anything as it's not mine and I'd be sick if I did. Call me paranoid I guess......:eek:

Miller Meteor used constant voltage relays for the battery switches in many of the cars, and they are controlled by 2 rocker switches located at the lower portion of the left dash panel. They might just need to have the grounds cleaned and the cables checked. On my car, they are bolted to the core support near the batteries.

i didn't see any rocker switches for batteries but it has a rotary Cole-Hersee switch mounted above the Motorola on the trans hump. I've noticed some "slpo" in it's operation and a couple of times when switching from battery 1 to 2 there is no contact until you turn the knob slightly forward to the "both" position then back to the 1 or 2 as desired. It seems to have less "snap" and tension to it that I remember from my fire and EMS days.

Back