Second Chicago Henney Jr. Rides Again

First they need to know what they have. Then have you ever notice how the foot rest on the gurney is always stright out.

"Museums" and Historical Societies have evolved to the point of frightening me.

They just don't know what they have or don't have, and last few years every one of them has a garden plant with a degree who knows everything about how to run the place, EXCEPT where to come up with the $$$$ their plan requires.

And then there are the Qtips, those delightful elderly ladies with blue hair who lived long enough to get on the Board. They love the collapsing fence out front so they got a plan to rebuild 122 feet of board fence for only $15,000. Never mind the roof is 2 years short of leaking, the fence makes them happy. On the other end of the spectrum we have the rail and trolley museums, side by side so they can share track, with a diminishing worker force and growing force of X Spurts, age 44, who know all about wood rail cars. They wear costumes so they must be authentic, and they can outvote the old farts so they get their way. NO, they will not go grab a dozen dirty spikes, it might soil their costume.

Talked with a paid Town Historian a few weeks back who told me given the shortage of reference material available he figures he's doing really well if he spouts half of what comes out of his mouth correctly. WHAT shortage, you have 100+ years of newspapers on microfilm, and half of it has been digitized and is on line.

Maybe it's a matter of people who wander around with pocket communicators not being able to grasp there was a time when it took 5 ladies sitting at switchboards to connect a call across town. Beam them up Scottie, get them out of my way so progress can be made preserving history for the small handfull coming along who will want to know. Hopefully there will be a hand full, at least in the next generation, before all that ancient crap gets chopped into hotrods.

While I'm not on the Board, I am active with the National EMS Museum group. And I have been, and will be, in touch with them as the restoration progresses.

I'll keep 'em in line, boys (and girls)! :cool:

First they need to know what they have. Then have you ever notice how the foot rest on the gurney is always stright out.

"Museums" and Historical Societies have evolved to the point of frightening me.

They just don't know what they have or don't have, and last few years every one of them has a garden plant with a degree who knows everything about how to run the place, EXCEPT where to come up with the $$$$ their plan requires.

While I'm not on the Board, I am active with the National EMS Museum group. And I have been, and will be, in touch with them as the restoration progresses.

I'll keep 'em in line, boys (and girls)! :cool:

Steve - the optics on this are poor for the "National EMS Museum." I don't understand the odd speculations made by the Director. Prison ambulance? Then an attempt to make the vehicle fit the desired narrative of being a "police ambulance" - presuming because it is currently painted blue? As most in this group easily know, "police ambulances" were generally station wagon units used primarily as patrol cars when law enforcement held a majority of urban prehospital care. Shouldn't the Director of the "National Museum" be more careful when making a public statement to the media? Have I missed hearing either of the two "experts" participating with or in the PCS?

The Director then makes the statement that she believes the equipment is original to the car. How so? The Ferno-Washington Model 60 folding spine board is most likely from the 1970s. The E&J Fox Model and the Scott Dual Tank Inhalator are appropriate time period, but I think doubtful both very expensive/large units were carried in a single low-end original-wheelbase ambulance. Particularly with that smaller - looks like Ohio Medical from small photo - inhalator too? The Washington "Klever" Model 21 is potentially correct, and interesting as it has an early Model 336 "Patient Pouch" - but again, could just have been tossed in there as it went from place to place.

I think it's also disappointing that the Museum states "It's an exciting thing to get it out of the private sector as well" - when private collectors have, and continue to be - the only reason these artifacts exist at all. Moreover, the story makes it appear that it's going to live in a Corporate Officer's personal garage for some time anyway...

Back