What Is It????

On Saturday nights I usually stay up late watching the variuos "car shows" that abound on certain channels. I was just watching one called "Texas Car Wars" shot in Austin, Texas. The particular episode is titled Let The Rivalries Begin" shot in 2012. It showed them walking through an auction lot and the following pro-car appeared on the screen for about 2 seconds. I paused it and was able to back through it and get the following 2 of the dreaded "screen shots". Sorry for the crappy quality, it's the best I could get.

My initial impression is 1961/62 Pontiac unknown body manufacturer.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 347
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 354
There seem to be a fair number of those early '60s Memphian Pontiac high-tops laying around in junk yards with very little interest in them. There is an identical ambulance in a yard in East-Central Kansas,

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 293
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 366
I know if I had the cash, I would love to have one, most people probably think they are ugly with that big top, but I like the looks. Anyone know the height from the top of the side windows to top of roof?

There is an identical ambulance in a yard in East-Central Kansas,

And another '61 Memphian Pontiac military high top in Aztec, NM that I posted several years back. Ex-USAF, then served neighboring Farmington FD before being retired around '80.

Given usual scarcity of '61 Pontiacs in yards however, finding a front clip could prove quite a chore. Solid desert sun burned paint builder that Carl Bannowsky would sell cheaply however.

Attachments

• 14878263372_93b138218f_b.jpg
    14878263372_93b138218f_b.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 51
They somewhat have the look of having had a large propane gas tank grafted onto the roof. Not long in the styling department!

Indiana pontiacs crushed theirs along with a 1961 Pontiac Superior hearse and a 1960 military pontiac ambulance. There were exactly 100 of the military spec ones made in 1961 by Memphian, and 9 regular wheelbase ones, of which I have the only known survivor. They are kinda an acquired taste, but they'd be fun with a tri power setup on the 389.

Indiana pontiacs crushed theirs along with a 1961 Pontiac Superior hearse and a 1960 military pontiac ambulance. There were exactly 100 of the military spec ones made in 1961 by Memphian, and 9 regular wheelbase ones, of which I have the only known survivor. They are kinda an acquired taste, but they'd be fun with a tri power setup on the 389.
I know where there are 2 of these '61 Memphian LWB ambulances. Both are pretty rough, but mostly complete. Both are in KS, if interested.

Back