Criterion UpDate

So off to the shop it goes to get the carrier bearing replaced. Since it is leaking tranny fluid when parked with the rear lower than the front, I assumed it was the rear seal but turns out it may be the modulator. We'll see.

Question: The Criterion sits a bit high in the rear for me. No air shocks, no coil over shocks, but it has 9 leaf springs. My guys says that is why it sits high.

Does anyone know the normal count of leaf springs for an ambulance or a Criterion? While visiting with Robert Shephard he says Criterion's are known to lean to the left due to all the added equipment.

To lower it should I remove springs and will that be ok?

One other point. My guy says he can take the bumpers I purchased from Jeremy I was using for the Lifeliner and cut out the taillight and mount it on the Criterion. He can fabricate a step as well. I have the brackets but no center step.

Worse than imagined. Center support for the carrier bearing is shot and needs replacement but guess what, Good luck Richard finding one of those.

Who's got one please.....

Better news is the tranny leak only required a new rubber seal on the modulator.

Worse than imagined. Center support for the carrier bearing is shot and needs replacement but guess what, Good luck Richard finding one of those.

Who's got one please.....

Better news is the tranny leak only required a new rubber seal on the modulator.

If you cannot find a support, a good machine shop can easily make one. When I had the driveshaft in my 49 rebuilt they told me if the carrier housing was bad they could easily make a replacement. (the bearing was avalible but the housing was not).
I would not remove any springs, they are there for a reason. My 49 has more than that. If you lower it it will not handle as it was meant too, you will drag on inclines and possibly damage more suspension parts/ They are designed to sit level with the weight of the equipment, patient, attendent ETC.

Last edited:
it sounds like some interprising sole has changed te springs in the rear. it should have the standard set for the 74 CC with air shocks.
are the bumper ends you have Hearse of Ambulance. if they are Hearse I would just put that center in for the licanplate and them look for a rear off a ambulance any center section for 66 to 76 will go on. you can cut out yout light in any of them.

it sounds like some interprising sole has changed te springs in the rear. it should have the standard set for the 74 CC with air shocks.
are the bumper ends you have Hearse of Ambulance. if they are Hearse I would just put that center in for the licanplate and them look for a rear off a ambulance any center section for 66 to 76 will go on. you can cut out yout light in any of them.

Bumper section is from a hearse and will need to be cut back for the step bracket. It is in two pieces. Not an issue for him I suppose but cutting out the section for the taillight seems difficult, at least to me. I'll take a picture of how high the Criterion sits and think we will agree it is way too high. Robert's Criterion is far lower than mine.

Richard, I'd check with Steele Rubber or some of the other rubber fabricating companies out there. Perhaps they have at least a housing for you. The bearing itself should not be much of a problem. I have a carrier bearing that came out of the drive shaft of the old ratty '62 S&S I have in Bippus. I keep it in the '60 Eureka, just in case. You might want to call Tom Casserta in Piqua OH. As he was a parts purchasing agent for M&M, I'll bet he could tell you about the number of springs. My gut is telling me that Kevin is correct, that there is an expectation to be carrying a LOT of weight in that car, and they size the springs to handle it.

Ok, taking it to a drive shaft shop for him to look at it claims he can get a new one.

We'll see.

:14_6_12:

WOW RIchard, glad you are getting it road worthy for me so I don't have much to do once you get done with it. I too would not worry about the rear sitting high, bet if you loaded two or three people in it and some more equipment she would be more level.

If the rear leaf springs have been changed, I would say they are too strong.

I have seen a couple hearses that have had the rear springs changed and sat too high.

You can have a leaf removed if needed. They can also release the "temper" of the leaf too.

You should see the center cap but NOT the top of the hub cap.

I disagree with the fact that it sits high without a couple guys in the back.
Patient and attendant.

A hearse sits at the proper height without the casket and dead guy so a ambulance should sit level as well.

The best thing to do is post a photo of the side view of the car and a close up of the back wheel area. We can see what you have there easy that way.

Len in Chatham had a '68 hearse that had the springs replaced and it sat way too high.

Another tip... take the car to a truck shop as those CC leafs are way bigger/stronger than regular passenger cars.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Darren

Another note...

My Pontiac Montana mini-van can hold 7 people... it is the same height for one as it is for 7.

That is way more weight than a ambulance or hearse would have loaded in it. If all 7 are 200 lbs, that would be 1400 lbs. :4_11_9:

Just an observation.

Darren

slow down there danny

i beleive richard is just getting the car ready for me me me me ...!!!!! im trying to keep peace in his homelife. mine is a mission from god to make life ea:halo:sy for him. that way he can say he has had the pleasure of getting it ready for a appreciative member who would otherwise have not been able to have the pride of ownership of a car that had been breathed on by such a knowledgable collector. this is where im kissing up..!!!!!! richard please show this message to your beautifull wife [more kissing up] so as to facilitate a quicker trip for my new car to texas. or i could bring it home from the convention since i will be there anyway. i beleive i could have it painted and fully functional to actually drive it to florida and leave the mhome at home and save money if i get it now!! so send title and i will return a check asap. just trying to make life easier for you!! leave the springs as i have first hand knoledge that this was done to correct a problem these cars had with squatting. just take the overload spring and you probaly will cure your ride height. or leave it alone and i will fix it here in texas when i get it home..

to cut the hole for the light, just rempve the other light, lay a pice of paper even with the top ,tape it flat and cut your pattern. then reverse it on the other side. use a jig saw with a steel blade and work you way around the pattern. slow going but it's done. then use a paint brush and prime the raw edge put a little silver over the primer for looks and you got a 74-76 bumber center. the light just sits in the hole and the straps on back hold it in place.
but if you missing the adaptor to transend from the center to the caddy end your in trouble.

i beleive richard is just getting the car ready for me me me me ...!!!!! im trying to keep peace in his homelife. mine is a mission from god to make life ea:halo:sy for him. that way he can say he has had the pleasure of getting it ready for a appreciative member who would otherwise have not been able to have the pride of ownership of a car that had been breathed on by such a knowledgable collector. this is where im kissing up..!!!!!! richard please show this message to your beautifull wife [more kissing up] so as to facilitate a quicker trip for my new car to texas. or i could bring it home from the convention since i will be there anyway. i beleive i could have it painted and fully functional to actually drive it to florida and leave the mhome at home and save money if i get it now!! so send title and i will return a check asap. just trying to make life easier for you!! leave the springs as i have first hand knoledge that this was done to correct a problem these cars had with squatting. just take the overload spring and you probaly will cure your ride height. or leave it alone and i will fix it here in texas when i get it home..

Kyle, go back to sleep as it ain't happening. Hehehe!

waking up

hopefully ill be awake when richard calls so i can pick up my new car asap. if not ill have him call me on the phone he sent me to handle such emergencys. already thinking outside the box... im in the car buisness and i see you apparently are to. just had mecum here and hopefully i can recoup from holding my hand up to long.. ya gotta website or what.?? you can pm me or just post here. have a good one!

Kyle,
I assume that you are watching the Criterion that is on eBay now?? I doubt that you will find a better one and it will be a fraction of what it would cost to do one.

yep nice car

watching cloely. friend called while i was at sale and the thinking is its got a lot more dollars to go. well see like it alot but just dont know if i can like it a whole bunch if you know what i mean. you no the car? bought and sold more vehicles than i could ever remember but i just dont know about done pro-cars. i know if its to cheap ill buy it. but other than that, im lost. thanks

Well here we are. Joe installed the rear bumper (this is one side of the bumpers Jeremy sold me last year for the Lifeliner), got the carrier bearing support in and had it up to 60 mph with no issues, transmission leak repaired as well as heater hose leak. Thanks Jeremy!!!!

Car drives smooth, plenty of power, quiet, and great interior. Body on the other hand may be a bit of a challenge. Still rides a little high for me but nothing to worry about at this time.

Attachments

• DSC04478.jpg
    DSC04478.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_9162[1].jpg
    IMG_9162[1].jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_5805[1].jpg
    IMG_5805[1].jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 184
Good job Richard, looking great. At least back to where you can drive it without problems. Fortunate to have driven it home without getting stranded. You just never know about these old cars especially after sitting around for a while.:071:

Back