Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Classifieds Forum Open to the Public > Archived Craigslist Discussions

Archived Craigslist Discussions Archived posts This forum is for old Craigslist discussions that have all the pertinent information to the item, such as pictures and descriptions. It is closed for new thread and discussion posting.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 AM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 58 Eureka LA, CA

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...415459979.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Elzie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Website Member

Thanked 7,987 Times in 1,876 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts

Looks like same '58 that Steve Loftin turned up in Missouri about what, 6 months ago? Heard this coach was a gorgeous survivor that sold for $8500. At least one person was upset he didn't have a chance at buying.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Website Member

Thanked 1,326 Times in 528 Posts
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

For trying to sell a $10K car you'd think they would put a rebuilt carb and new battery in it? Who wants to just take their word that it will run after fixing only those two things? I don't get sellers sometimes. There's another listing where the seller says one of his cars "known issues" is that it needs a choke return spring. Really? You wouldn't pay $5 to fix that to get one line item off your "known issues" list?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:51 AM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 13,951 Times in 5,883 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

the pictures still have the Missouri tag. intresting price
Old 06-02-2011, 10:58 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,620 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Merrifield View Post
For trying to sell a $10K car you'd think they would put a rebuilt carb and new battery in it? Who wants to just take their word that it will run after fixing only those two things? I don't get sellers sometimes. There's another listing where the seller says one of his cars "known issues" is that it needs a choke return spring. Really? You wouldn't pay $5 to fix that to get one line item off your "known issues" list?
I was thinking the exact same thing.
1985 Eureka Pontiac Chieftain hearse
1995 Superior Chevrolet Chancellor hearse
See all my pro cars past and present in my photo album
Old 06-02-2011, 01:10 PM
PCS Elected Director 2014- 2018

Thanked 10,078 Times in 2,629 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

The price seems reasonable enough; if he paid $8,500 for it and wants $10,000, he's just trying to recoup his investment (including shipping from MO to CA).

The photos in the ad were taken at the swap meet where it was for sale.

Last edited by Steve Loftin; 06-02-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Default "...that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it." (with apologies to Collin Raye)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila Bethlenfalvy View Post
Looks like same '58 that Steve Loftin turned up in Missouri about what, 6 months ago? Heard this coach was a gorgeous survivor that sold for $8500. At least one person was upset he didn't have a chance at buying.
I know who one of them was...ME.

I found this girl at a swap meet last September in a small southwest Missouri town. The operator of the meet told me the price was $6,500. She's ex-Wessell F.H. in Pierce City, MO; she had solid metal, about 41,000 miles, a factory radio, and was last tagged in 1992. It was a running and driving car. It's an endloader that at some time during its service life had front and rear A/C and rear heat added, likely for "as needed" ambulance use.

When I got home that evening I sent photos of the find out to a group of procar friends via e-mail. This was supposedly a tight group that kept communications between ourselves. The longer I looked at the photos the more I decided that it was a car worth having, even though it wasn't a combination or ambulance. If nothing else it would have been a good investment, I thought.

The next day I decided I was sure about wanting the car, discussed it with the Mrs., and called to make an offer. I was told that it was already sold. It turned out that a member of the e-mail group had forwarded my find to a stranger (non-group member) who beat me to it. Vowing this would never happen again, I abandoned the e-mail group shortly thereafter. That said...

This car is in GREAT shape, and I hope a PCS member gets it!

(SL photos)
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2011, 03:09 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,971 Times in 902 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Very cool coach. This is my favorite post war professional car, and I'd be happy owning (if I could afford) it. Price wise, the numbers don't add up though...

If it was sold last year for $6500, isn't $10K a little ambitious if nothing's been done, and it's a non-running coach with potentially more issues than disclosed? And you can't factor transportation costs into the value, no matter what it cost him. A seller usually doesn't recoup that; it's just a cost of ownership. Todd was spot-on with the fixing it first comments. Why wouldn't you spend a couple hundred before listing it? Would make me worry that there is more going on that maybe the current seller can't/doesn't want to fix (100% speculation here). Time and sitting can be a car's worst enemies...

Reminds me of my last coach a little. When I sold my '61 Olds, I sold it for about $6K, and in similar condition to this. It just needed tires, fluid changes, and a brake job. At the time, I didn't have the money to do this, so I sold it as-is. The buyer spent about $900 getting it on the road, and a few years later started trying to sell it. He turned down offers over $10K! Not a bad return when you can make $3K+ after putting 15K miles on a car. When I asked him about it, because I wanted to buy is back, he said the price was $18K. I said, good luck with that... Long story short, you will get more out of selling a car that runs than one that doesn't, so sometimes a few hundred dollars is a very wise investment!

PS Thanks for the fantastic pics, Steve!
and wisdom to know the difference.
Amen.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Website Member

Thanked 7,987 Times in 1,876 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts

Price may have been $6500 @ swap meet but it sold for $8500. There was no treason on your email group. It sold from word of mouth from a relative of the seller - which accounts for the price discrepancy; new out of state buyer not privy to $6500 price.

I did hear through the grapevine that more time had passed than your 'overnight' fence sitting as others respectfully awaited your decision before receiving contact info. True or not, from swap meet viewing to actual monetary transaction for '58 was closer to three weeks.

Thanks for posting the pics Steve. Solid Eureka landaus aren't common by any means.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila Bethlenfalvy View Post
Price may have been $6500 @ swap meet but it sold for $8500. There was no treason on your email group. It sold from word of mouth from a relative of the seller - which accounts for the price discrepancy; new out of state buyer not privy to $6500 price.

I did hear through the grapevine that more time had passed than your 'overnight' fence sitting as others respectfully awaited your decision before receiving contact info. True or not, from swap meet viewing to actual monetary transaction for '58 was closer to three weeks.

Thanks for posting the pics Steve. Solid Eureka landaus aren't common by any means.
While I can't account for the version you have, I can tell you that my account is what transpired except for one fact: I found the car on Saturday, contemplated on Sunday, and called on Monday. In any case, this isn't the place for story comparisons or debate. Discussion regarding the e-mail group is closed. That said...

There have been sightings of a black '58 Eureka landau 3-way in Oklahoma for over 35 years now. I saw it in Tulsa in the 1970s and in Eufaula in the 1990s. Jim Jordan recently found one in Oklahoma City, and I have no reason to believe it's not the same car.