Another tire question

Mark Jordan

PCS Member
I'm looking for tires for the 73 Suburban. It has 235/75-15 on it now that have a load range of 105 (2038 Lb). I found a set of Mastercraft A/S IV that are rated at 2028 Lbs. These have the 1" WSW as the rig had on it when new, but the question is, would these tires be safe since they are classified as passenger car tires and not light truck tires and are not load range "D" or XL rated? The "Burb weighs in at 6600 Lbs. Has anyone else used this brand? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

:circle:

hancook

I have a set on one of my cars and have had no issues with these tires at all. James told me about em when they were on a sale nationally and I paid 65 a tire and am quite happy. thanks again james. or you can pay 225 a tire for xl Michelins and really unless you put lots of miles on the vehicle at high temp (highway sustained speeds) they aren't needed.

I just bought American Classics at 165.00 each ONLY because I wanted a 1.6" whitewall.

Those tires mentioned can even be bought at Walmart for 65.00 each.

Extra 100.00 for the whitewall is sad.

Matt has them on his car too with good luck so far.

Darren

Thanks for all the info.. Summit Racing has the Mastercrafts for $73.00 and I did find a local Discount Tire that has the Hankooks at $70.00 each Seems to be mostly positive reviews on the Hankooks as well. :)

Let me say from the onset that the following is not intended to demean Coker Tire Co., but only sharing my experience. When I restored my '54 Eureka landau, I bought a set of Coker 235-73-15 wide whitewall tires. They did not have an XL rating on them, but the sales associate felt comfortable that they would work satisfactorily on the (heavier) commercial chassis car. They did not. 3 of the 4 tires, one at a time, all during road trips, slipped a belt or otherwise got large sidewall bubbles that instantly caused bad tire balance and shaking of the car so you could not continue driving more than about 25 mph. I have since discontinued using the one "good" tire I have left.

At the time I was able to easily get the Firestone XL tires with wide whites, which have apparently been discontinued. I have since installed the correct 890-15 whitewall tires (from Coker) on my '54 and '60 Eurekas. The height difference has been discussed on the PCS site, and all findings mentioned there match my own. They have worked well on both these cars and I'm contemplating a set for my '53 Eureka flower car. Because of these change-outs I have stashed away the Firestones for future use.

Bottom line, I PERSONALLY would not use a radial without an XL rating on a commercial chassis vehicle.

Thanks for all the info.. Summit Racing has the Mastercrafts for $73.00 and I did find a local Discount Tire that has the Hankooks at $70.00 each Seems to be mostly positive reviews on the Hankooks as well. :)

The Mastercraft is a 40,000 mile tire and the Hankook is a 70,000 mile tire. I've had both on my cars and never had a problem. The Mastercrafts are made in America and the Hankooks are made overseas. I've also had American Classics from Coker and never had a problem except they are only rated at 35 PSI where as the Hankooks being an extra load are rated at 44 psi. The American Classic's tend to look as if they need air under a big car. They have a great white wall though! I loved the Firestone FR721's. They were extra load and 1.6 inch white walls but they stopped making them 11 years ago.

Wow! The Discount Tire Co. store in my city wants $100 a tire for the Hankooks!

discount tire

yes sir they told me the same thing BUT if you check with other discount tire shops (even out of state), they will honor it. james had told me they had a national sale on those sizes and I did my homework and got a better deal and got free balancing for my trouble. ya gotta ask I guess. 260 bucks out the door as im a dealer and pay no tax. I know but they ARE for sale!

Hankooks

Wow! The Discount Tire Co. store in my city wants $100 a tire for the Hankooks!

Those Hankooks were as low as $34.00 less then a year ago....they were on closeout all over the country... I know several members stocked up,I guess they decided to keep them in their lineup.

Just go with black walls you can get raised white letter 235 that will handle the load. Just turn them around. Put the black side out. But expect to fork over 200 a tire for good supper. The Hankock need 50psi to get there load rating and they are only a 28 inch tire.

Getting Ready for Rochester- New Tires

As if you can see, these are Hankook Optimo H724 P235/75R15's.

Really nice day for a test drive.

(And I know the hub caps do not match. Working on that.)

Attachments

• 6-27-14 New Tires.jpg
    6-27-14 New Tires.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 114
Those look great! Maybe it's just because of the great looking car on top! I got a price of 7O dollars each plus 16.50 for mounting each or if I take them "to go" I pay 80 for each. Huh? I was going to get them last week, but my son just totaled his car and I have to see how the insurance "dust" settles. We are now down a vehicle and I will not let him drive the ambulance anytime soon. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

Scott

Those thin whitewalls look great on that ambulance.

The thin trim and lines on the car make it look correct.

On a big black Cadillac, they need a thicker whitewall.

Good going on the new tires. It is a must to keep them current.
To many tire issues with too many PCS members in the last few years.

Darren

Back