Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:02 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,731 Times in 3,847 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Bush View Post
What a great read this thread was! My big question is why did Jack Pinner insist the car was not a Superior, but instead a Memphis built to Navy specifications, when it was in fact very obviously a Superior?
According to Jack, Memphian had built the car under a sub contract with Superior. I don't know what the size of the contract was, but it might just have been that it was too large for Superior to finish all the cars that were ordered in a timely manner, so they reached out to other coach builders for assistance. No different than GM having parts manufactured by Checker Motors, because it was more cost effective, and time saving. Back then, there were the "front line" coach builders, and then there were all of the smaller companies that also built coaches, but just not in the volume of the others.
Jack was very knowledgeable, having lived and worked in the Pinner Coach business with his brother and father. In fact, the whole family was involved in the business. Back then, the people that built the Pinner cars, were also the same people that built some of the other brands. One thing that I learned from Jack, was that the man that built all the rear doors for Pinner, also built all the rear doors for Memphian. I compared the rear door of my 1963 Pinner built Chrysler with the 1957 Memphian Desoto owned by Dawson Blackmore, and sure enough you could see the similarities. I even compared the rear door glass, and it was the same glass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Steinberg For This Useful Post:
Abe Bush (01-24-2017), Bill Leverett (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 08:35 AM
PCS Member

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Large Gov Orders

I agree with Paul's "probable cause". In 1954, REO was awarded a Federal Contract to build 1,313 Civil Defense "Calamity Jane" Rescue Trucks. REO built all the chassis, but the body orders were split up between SWIFT and BOYERTOWN because of the order's delivery deadline. All had the same spec's and blueprints, but with (very) small differences if compared side-by-side. (*) So small in fact that the 1954 REO CD Unit that the Boyertown Museum found and spent a lot of money restoring was in fact a SWIFT build-up. After restoring our own 1954 REO-BOYERTOWN they wanted to make a trade, but I declined.

Similarily... when the State of California (Disaster Office) ordered 101 GMC Fire Engines at once in 1953-1954.... American-LaFrance did a few of the build-up's and Van-Pelt did the rest, but very hard to tell the small differences other than the final ALF / V-P Badges and VIN Plates on the fire bodies. MM
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McDonald For This Useful Post:
Abe Bush (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 01:10 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,449 Times in 6,111 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Bush View Post
What a great read this thread was! My big question is why did Jack Pinner insist the car was not a Superior, but instead a Memphis built to Navy specifications, when it was in fact very obviously a Superior?
What Jack said was that Memphis built them for superior. Not that the were Memphis cars. This was not a unused practice back then. According to what he told me, he helped drive the cars to the plant. If superior was who won the contract and it might be tight with there other commitments they would contact with another manufacture to build them to superior specks. Jack said at that time Memphis had people standing around and they were looking for work. You can take it with a grain. Of salt. But as he was there and I was not?
Abe Bush (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 04:03 PM
PCS Member

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
Considering what was paid for the vehicle, I would have expected a higher level of correct replacement service items, such as the hose clamps. I also don't believe that it has the correct alternator. I have never seen a spotlight with a knob on the back. That appears to be a rear loading light spotlight head. The correct spotlight wouldn't have the knob on the back. I believe that you should leave the car as original as possible, however, if you need to replace a part, at least make sure that the replacement is correct for the vintage of the car.
That makes sense, thanks Paul and everyone who responded! I guess I didn't catch where Jack mentioned that Memphis built them for Superior (sub contracted them), but it does make sense that Superior might need help fulfilling that big government contract. I will say talk about bare-bones ambulances, definitely no frills on them!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:38 PM
PCS Member / Funeral Director

Thanked 1,273 Times in 376 Posts
Groans: 3

I was asked to assemble some of my old funeral memorabilia for the state funeral directors convention (Wolfman Jack's and Sonny Bono's Memorial folders, UPI newsfeed breaking news of John Lennon death, Buford Pusser's funeral procession photos, Elvis procession photos and ultimate end of the 77 M-M, etc...) and I stopped by this thread and printed off the letters attesting to the crushing of this car and printing the photos to be laminated for folks to see.
I reminded me, thanks to Steve Lichtman and all those PCS faithful who worked on this, it was PCS' finest moment, and Barrett-Jackson's worst.
Darren Bedford (03-01-2017), Denny Shira (03-02-2017), Paul Steinberg  (03-01-2017), Rick Franklin (03-01-2017), Steve Loftin (03-01-2017), Wayne Krakowski (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:10 PM
Website Member

Thanked 1,326 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Dorsey View Post
I was asked to assemble some of my old funeral memorabilia for the state funeral directors convention (Wolfman Jack's and Sonny Bono's Memorial folders, UPI newsfeed breaking news of John Lennon death, Buford Pusser's funeral procession photos, Elvis procession photos and ultimate end of the 77 M-M, etc...) and I stopped by this thread and printed off the letters attesting to the crushing of this car and printing the photos to be laminated for folks to see.
I reminded me, thanks to Steve Lichtman and all those PCS faithful who worked on this, it was PCS' finest moment, and Barrett-Jackson's worst.
If you don't need it like tomorrow, I have every picture and video associated with this thread that I can burn to a DVD or CD for you. It is a little over 200 MB.