oddly placed spots

Yet another high top in a yard I've photographed this year. What stands out are the roof mounted spotlights. No provision that they were ever mounted on A pillars originally. How common was this practice? After scanning though saved files, I don't have another like it.

dsc04484z.jpg

Although they don't look as nice mounted that way, they are probably more functional there to spot street signs and house numbers. I have seen a lot of Fire Dept ordered Superiior Ambulances equipped that way from the factory in the same era. MM

This was a fairly popular 1971-76 Superior option. You'll find many rigs with one or two of these as you peruse these threads. For the 1973 model year the front tunnels on the 54" models (except for cars with Solar Rays and Traffic Breakers) were raised in order not to be blocked by roof-mounted spotlights.

Personally, I preferred the door-mount option which can be seen on 1971-76 Cadillac ambulances (and even a very few combinations) from all procar builders. I've also seen a few C/Bs with the spotlight(s) installed through the front fender. To my knowledge, no Pontiacs from these years had anything but roof-mount spots.

"A" pillar mounting, as seen on the 1965-70 models, was not available for these model years on any procar chassis.

What's unusual about the '71 in your photo is that the spots are Unity #250 models (5" bulb) instead of the much more common #225 (6" bulb). The double-headed #10300 was available, as well.

Last edited:
1971 Superior from Kost Amb in Mankato, MN

Here is a photo of a 1971 Superior used by Kost Ambulance in Mankato, MN. They had roof mounted spots for driver and front passenger.

Attachments

• Kost4.jpg
    Kost4.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 413
the ditz center mounted remote control spot light was a option for MM or CB in this set of years to. mounted center of the roof and the remote control set on the dash. I have only seen one of them on a 72 lifeliner. but here is one from my pictures.

Attachments

• 1972mm0001a.jpg
    1972mm0001a.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 392
Here are two photos from the Cadillac thread showing the raised tunnels and door-mounted spots:

Attachments

• McHatton%20Sadler%20FH%20amb_001.jpg
    McHatton%20Sadler%20FH%20amb_001.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 401
  • Neileigh.jpg
    Neileigh.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 397
Here are a couple from the Pontiac thread showing the lower tunnels and dual #225s:

Attachments

• Loup%20City%20NE%2071%20Pontiac_001.jpg
    Loup%20City%20NE%2071%20Pontiac_001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 389
  • West%20Ridge%2071%20Pontiac_001.jpg
    West%20Ridge%2071%20Pontiac_001.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 393
the posts are really thin on this set of cars so mounting it there was not a good choice. same with the fender mount on the 59 to 64 style cars. just not enough piller to drill the hole threw and keep the car togather.

Yet another high top in a yard I've photographed this year. What stands out are the roof mounted spotlights. No provision that they were ever mounted on A pillars originally. How common was this practice? After scanning though saved files, I don't have another like it.

dsc04484z.jpg

What about the 75,76 next to it is it an ambulance as well?

Attila,

Any chance the salvage yard is parting that '71 Superior with the roof spotlights?

A good friend of mine has been seeking a pair of 1971 Cadillac tail light lenses. He was too busy showing off his old photos here to probably even notice that is a '71... :poster_oops: :071:

Attila,

Any chance the salvage yard is parting that '71 Superior with the roof spotlights?

A good friend of mine has been seeking a pair of 1971 Cadillac tail light lenses. He was too busy showing off his old photos here to probably even notice that is a '71... :poster_oops: :071:

Thanks Tony!

Attila: From any 1971 Cadillac I need two tail light lenses, the front grill, headlight bezals, and backup light in rear bumper. I also need the center step on rear bumper. I don't know if this was specific to Miller Meteor or not. Looking to the more experienced folks to weigh in on this.

Rear Bumper Step

You can actually see the difference between a Superior step and a Miller-Meteor step in the photos Attila posted here. Superiors tended to have a wider "grate" that was fastened under the rear bumper, while M-M designed what I'll call a "box section" step as part of the center (license plate area) piece.

None publicly but 3 so far privately Russell.

There is a full set of 4, no cracked lenses. One was removed and hooked up. Works fine. Been waiting on their price since last night, along with siren and ditch lights.

Back