It arrived all in one piece

James Fischer

PCS Member
Went down to my local Yellow Freightlines today to pick up the big "package" from PILKINGTON......
It arrived all intact with no issues....:thumbsup:now just have to get it installed....which leads me to ask,which would be better-Install it BEFORE or AFTER the paint and body ??

003-6_zps9d737346.jpg

Definitely after. You have a greater risk of your paint and body dude damaging the windshield(sand blasting, etc.) than you do the windshield guys damaging your paint. Just make sure that you are there lurking while they are installing it.

windshield

after, after, after!! watch em like a hawk. had one cracked by installers and was bent! 1400 bucks shot! there insurance bought another after 55 days of phone tag and okie doaks. used a installer the second time recommended by a custom shop and no issues as they understood what they had to do. no more jose cheap glass installers.

after you guys crazy, how you going to clean up the jam and repaint after you paint your car. so the correct answer is during. just before you paint. when all the body work is completed and your ready to final sand. pull the glass, clean up the jam, prime, put the new glass in. then do your final sanding and paint the car. why risk messing up a new paint job doing major work right after it's done. I know guys that will jam and put the moldings one before they paint. so they don't scratch things up putting them on afterward. the worse thing it find after you get your car painted is rust in the pinch weld when you change the glass.

What about if your windshield is fine but you want to paint the top. Is it worth the trouble of removing and then reinstalling? I dont have any visible rust formations around the windshield but Im pretty sure the windshield in it now is a replacement as it has the yellow/greenish upper tint and the rearview mirror was sitting on the seat to be reinstalled.

I would not pull a windshield unless I had to. there is always the risk of braking it why take that for no propose. in this case the glass is begin changed. because it's broken. in the case of the one in the 69 it was falling out. in you case there is nothing wrong so simply pulling the moldings around it if you can and cleaning up the edge is all you need to give the paint something to stick to.

Back