Superior Vent - how does it work

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
we have had a few people ask just how did the fresh air vent work on a superior combo or ambulance. as I was forced to get into things earlier then I had planed I took a few pictures showing the rout on this 67 crown.

air enters the vent and fallows the hose down to the shut off valve at the collector box. at the box it is sub-post to drop out the water . then it fills the wheel will and comes out the holes into the tool box. were it crosses over and out into the foot will. giving everyone a breath of fresh air.

of course in this case it was filtered threw the mouse nest to really make it good. as you see the vent hose like most of them is broken dumping water out into the quarter panel and making it impossible to close off.

I will share with you that the inside of cap off a spray can of paint will go with a little glue inside the hole on the plastic vent making it a ornament

Attachments

• IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0952.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 193
What we really want to see is how to remove the intake without destroying it. I would venture to say that most of these that have been broken were broken trying to take it apart!

I have figured out how to remove it from my parts car......... it's called a Sawz-All!

I have done it once on a 66. a lot of quarter turns at arms length for the front side and easy on the rear. only two self cutting nuts hold it on. but like any thing they will refuse to back off. then it's slip a wedge under the offending side and don't pry. as it backs out just keep shoving the wedge down father. wear you fit bit and you get a weeks worth of excursive on each nut. bring the supper glue to stop the blood flow on that front one

all right found and gathered the pictures of the 66 so here they are funny how you forget things. we need a plug and made one out of a spray bomb cap. glued it to the outside of the vent. the vet is a two piece so getting it apart to clean and repaint was easy enough. the car was a repaint of white over blue and we were going to black so leaving the loose over-spray of white inside the vent was not a option. the hard one was the upper front. with the heater core out it will be a lot easer on this 67. teh vent fits tight on the hole so going threw the side with a pin would be trouble. we use some silicone on this one

Attachments

• IMG_1267 got this off.jpg
    IMG_1267 got this off.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1268 the tube is shot.jpg
    IMG_1268 the tube is shot.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3222 little problem here pealign paint down in side.jpg
    IMG_3222 little problem here pealign paint down in side.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3224 it's plastic so no stripper or bead plaster. but we can get it apart.jpg
    IMG_3224 it's plastic so no stripper or bead plaster. but we can get it apart.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3228 now we can clean this up.jpg
    IMG_3228 now we can clean this up.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3229 thats better.jpg
    IMG_3229 thats better.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3231 lets plug off the ir flow.jpg
    IMG_3231 lets plug off the ir flow.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3232 since we are not using it no since in have the water leak.jpg
    IMG_3232 since we are not using it no since in have the water leak.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 143
I believe that those intakes are the same as was used on all 1963 through 1970(?) Cadillac Series 75 limousines.

yes they are the same as the 75. trouble edge tape would have worked with a flat piece of plastic. jb weld the bumper cover repair kit any number of things.with weather resistance qualities. silicone and a plastic cap was what I had on hand. in hand beats a trip down town any day :D

Back