My 1970 Superior Pontiac is on the road

Bruce Biancalana

PCS Life Member
This weekend, between the rain, I was able to do some work on my 1970 Superior Pontiac. I placed a light on the roof, tinkered with the spotlights and did son engine tuning. I installed a Mars model 600 on the roof and removed the 1156 light bulbs from the factoy bullet lights placed the correct light bulbs in their place. The bullet lights are now brighter as they were from the factory. I was able to take some pictures and also took a video at night while the car was driving with the lights on. The begining of the video didnt turn out too well because the head lights blind the camera. As you watch the video the lights come into the picture. It ended up looking like an old news video clip..

Mars Model 600

photobucket-9712-1335402997274.jpg

The full car

photobucket-4664-1335402978453.jpg

Video

70 Pontiac Hightop

Great car bruce. I worked out of a 1965 and 1968 Pontiac Highboys. Just a suggestion: Geez I hope you are not going to load up with too many lights. A lot of people in PCs load them up w/ lights and Qs and then they really do not look like the cars we knew and loved so much. Great car. Enjoy it in good health. JVV:smileflagcan:

Bruce: Are your plans for it to be a Chicago FD ambulance. Correct me if I am wrong, but they ran these in their fleet.

Bruce - as I was exiting an auto parts store near my home in the North Scottsdale area this afternoon I met a man who was shooting photos of my Criterion. He said he was going to send the pictures to his cousin who collects ambulances. I asked him where his cousin lives and he said in IL. I then asked what is his cousins name and he responded "Bruce". I then filled in your last name. You should have seen the look on his face.

Last edited:
Bruce - as I was exiting an auto parts store near my home in the North Scottsdale area this afternoon I met a man who was shooting photos of my Criterion. He said he was going to send the pictures to his cousin who collects ambulances. I asked him where his cousin lives and he said in IL. I then asked what is his cousins name and he responded "Bruce". I then filled in your last name. You should have seen the look on his face.

He called me and told me, He was amazed. He really was impressed with your car. It's a small world!

Bruce: Are your plans for it to be a Chicago FD ambulance. Correct me if I am wrong, but they ran these in their fleet.

Chicago did run Pontiac's in 1970. I am not sure about making this Pontiac a CFD car, I think I will just stick with white for now and make that decision later. I am still in the process of building a 1970 M&M Cadillac as a Chicago FD rig. I was checking on it it last week as the paint was being put down on the roof. Hopefully I will have it home soon. I will post pics when it comes home.

Chicago received these Pontiac cars on a grant.

CFD_Pontiac_Amb_34.jpg

CFC used 2 Different headroom Pontiac cars as you can see in the next two Chicago Tribune photos These were 2 new CFD ambulances being delivered to the city maintenance garage

AFD-648-CT_F.jpg

Chicago Tribune photos of the press lin up showing off the cities new grant.

AFD-671-CT_F.jpg

Steve, do you you know any other details about that order?

No, I don't; wish I did. I'm curious as to what whistles the Pontiacs had.

Note in the CFD photos that some cars had junior west coast mirror/convex sets and some didn't. Some had #225 and others #10300 spotlights...bizarre.

No, I don't; wish I did. I'm curious as to what whistles the Pontiacs had.

Note in the CFD photos that some cars had junior west coast mirror/convex sets and some didn't. Some had #225 and others #10300 spotlights...bizarre.

It looks like the put them together with whatever was in stock. I was told that the city put 8 inch Mars Commanders in the Pontiacs, 8 inch Mars Commanders in the Cadillacs and PA-20s in the Ford vans. One of the complaints that I heard about the Fords were that They had standard 65 amp alternators. Tom Nangle might be able to give more Intell.

Back