1957 DeSoto CD Ambulance- who converted it?

After re-reading this thread and considering all of the written as well as visual evidence, my money says this girl is a Comet combination.

I would love to find out for sure some day...!

after looking over the pictures I have here I will say I agree with that.the back door and roof line is dead one for them. if it is there should be a tag drivers side on the fire wall or at least 4 screw holes were it was. then the name script was on the front fender. if they have been removed you should still find traces of them

Well, I looked at the car again today...no sign of a tag on the firewall, nor any holes. And no sign of a fender emblem ever being on it. But I did discover that this car was originally a single headlight model, that was changed to duals. The single headlight fenders had the backs cut to accommodate the larger dual headlight buckets. Then everything was sprayed with undercoat. It appears that it has been this way since it was converted...

The fenders were done that way so that if the federal government threw the DOT did not approve the quad headlights for use they could go back to the singles used in the year before. Chy was the first set of quad lights on the market.

But here is what I'm guessing on the general shape of the rear. But anyone could have built it in their back yard and there were a number of people working for other people that were trying to get in the business themselves that did that.
Were the doors are off the roof line and rear door look vary much like this one.1958 comet rear  ply chassis.jpg

Back