Station wagon ambulances

You'd hope they didn't have too many patients that were hypochondriacs. One would think that subject may never arise with a sick or injured victim.. Maybe their mind is elsewhere.. But you take someone that is already in an uncomfortable predicament and push the envelope a little, and now you have an uncooperative patient.

By chance did you mean claustrophobics?

1965 Ford Country Sedan amblewagon
photo by Andrew Messer, 2006
Stecoah Fire Department

Attachments

• StecoahXAmb.jpg
    StecoahXAmb.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,360
wagons

1965 Ford/Summers - G.W.C.F.H., Pryor, OK
1965 Ford/Gordon Allen - Ninde F.H., Jenks, OK

(SL photos)

1959 Ford/local conversion - Jim Green F.H., Pryor, OK
1964 Ford/ " - "
Note the four Carpenter Wig-Wag lights on the '59; two were blue, two red.

(JGFH photos)

never forget my dads 65 olds vista cruiser conversion. low boy stretcher. 2 beacons and a b&m under the hood. my older brother decided to go into the ambulance buisness on his own and hey had a 65 ford wagon fron gordon k. allen. my dad bought a 62 & a 63 chevy wagon that had belonged to bell helicopter in fworth. 327's 3 on the tree. 4 lollipops, q2 and a model 17 on both. used em for standbys at racetracks. memories are flooding back...thanks steve...

Found this serie on the City of Montreal (Que) archives. It's from the public domain so no copyright... Would love to share them with you they are too neat to be kept, we are back in 1963 when the Montreal police department was the only free ambulance service in the city. They used to have a fleet of 2 door patrol cars radio equipped, another fleet of station wagons and they bought some IH that year also.

I think those color pictures were taken for a publicity or something like that, note the "too clean" police package Ford custom in background.

It's hard to tell in the one photo, but I seem to remember the whistle being a CS8B:

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle.php?id=240148

I'd sure like to know what firm owned this car. It likely belonged to whichever funeral home was closest to where this scene was shot.

That picture was taken about 8 miles from my current office. Paul U. Lee would have probably been the closest funeral home. They are no longer in business in Baytown but now operate just over the Hartman Bridge in La Porte. That photo was taken near what is now the Fred Hartman Bridge which traverses the Houston Ship Channel in the City of Baytown, Texas.

Last edited:
Found this serie on the City of Montreal (Que) archives. It's from the public domain so no copyright... Would love to share them with you they are too neat to be kept, we are back in 1963 when the Montreal police department was the only free ambulance service in the city. They used to have a fleet of 2 door patrol cars radio equipped, another fleet of station wagons and they bought some IH that year also.

I think those color pictures were taken for a publicity or something like that, note the "too clean" police package Ford custom in background.

That's gotta be one of the shortest cut beacon skirts I've ever seen on anything!

That picture was taken about 8 miles from my current office. Paul U. Lee would have probably been the closest funeral home. They are no longer in business in Baytown but now operate just over the Hartman Bridge in La Porte. That photo was taken near what is now the Fred Hartman Bridge which traverses the Houston Ship Channel in the City of Baytown, Texas.

Paul U. Lee - Baytown was taken over at some point by Navarre Funeral Home. Jess Navarre ran the ambulance service in the City of Baytown during the 70's - 80's time period and until the City of Baytown Health Department took over EMS. They ran EMS until two months ago and all EMS functions have now been taken over by Baytown Fire/Rescue.

Of some note, Jess Navarre joined forces with a well known operator/collector by the name of Diamond, Steve Diamond, and they formed Navarre-Diamond which ran for a time in the late 80's-early 90's.

navarre

Paul U. Lee - Baytown was taken over at some point by Navarre Funeral Home. Jess Navarre ran the ambulance service in the City of Baytown during the 70's - 80's time period and until the City of Baytown Health Department took over EMS. They ran EMS until two months ago and all EMS functions have now been taken over by Baytown Fire/Rescue.

Of some note, Jess Navarre joined forces with a well known operator/collector by the name of Diamond, Steve Diamond, and they formed Navarre-Diamond which ran for a time in the late 80's-early 90's.

had some friends who drove and rode for jess. was friens with my mom and r, s. bill jr. who operated mercy corps. ray thomson also knew him well and we have been friends for 4o years. jess never did me wrong.

what I chuckled over was once they got the pt on the gurney how were they going to get them in and ambulance. it's a staged shot and they wanted both cars in it. the end gate on the ambulance is closed so that they can do the load pt on gurney between the cars for the camera shot. then endless possibility of how the cars got tucked around the guy down or why they carried him to the gurney not vice verse and all that are mine boggling.

This '56 Ford was once owned by the Cordry F.H. in Hennessey, OK. It is complete and original except for ambulance equipment.

There is a picture at the funeral home that shows this car with a WLR sirenlight on the roof:

(SL photos)

Attachments

• 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,019
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,022
  • 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 987
This '64 Olds wagon is in a salvage yard near Enid, OK. With a split second seat and mounting holes for a Federal beacon, I'm betting this was a funeral home "hot shot" car. This girl appears to be complete except for ambulance items:

(SL photos)

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,048
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,026
Back