procar 'grails'

now for me the holy grail would be the 71 c/b 48 top offered to me for 500 bucks by Lloyd Ray. we were loading the 72 Seville and he said you want that one you can have it for 500, subpost to have a good engine. it was a complete car the interior was brown. rust coming threw over the header. I had a rusty 73 S&S I got suckered in getting of e-bay and the 72 I was loading needed work. I passed as it would have required another 800 mile round trip and I had no place to put it. he died less then a year later, the car got scraped and I have not see another 48 CB ambulance for sale since.

Attachments

• IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 411
Not bragging, I am just the present custodian. The 1975 American Ambulance of Detroit, Superior Cadillac 51, never put into service and still has less than 3000 miles on the clock. It is a time capsule. Still smells like a new car.

Attachments

• 75-44 (2736 x 2052) (600 x 450).jpg
    75-44 (2736 x 2052) (600 x 450).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 393
  • 75-40 (600 x 450).jpg
    75-40 (600 x 450).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 387
  • 75-36 (1368 x 1824).jpg
    75-36 (1368 x 1824).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 400
Hi, Just a new guy here, but I would love to have the "One that got away" a 30's S&S Carvedside on a Buick Chassis. That was the car that got me started in the love of Hearses. Another would have to be a 1959 Superior Crown Royal Landolett

Tell us the story about the one that got away, and how that happened. I have let things slip by without giving it much thought until later, when I realized what I was looking at, wasn't what I was thinking it was. Missed out on a factory prototype Trans Am when I said that it wasn't real. After doing some checking, I learned that it was real, however, it was already sold.

Attila and Able you both went back and edited your original posts (comments) after I had already quoted you and responded. Not sure how Attila was able to do it without it showing he edited it unless he beat the time frame where you can edit a post without it showing its been edited.

Either way it basically makes the comments I made with your original quotes in both cases moot points as you both changed the wording in your original posts to address or clarify both responses. LOL

Yeah I added "1973 or older" to mine, because anything after 1974 for me would no longer be considered holy grail (or even desirable, since I really don't have any interest in pro cars newer than the 1974 model year).

Not bragging, I am just the present custodian. The 1975 American Ambulance of Detroit, Superior Cadillac 51, never put into service and still has less than 3000 miles on the clock. It is a time capsule. Still smells like a new car.

That is a "Grail" vehicle in my book, so is your 1965 Pontiac Superior in the condition its in.

I have a question for you. After looking at your album and your Starrs Fleet of vintage Ambulances I noticed the Star Air Ambulance as well. I noticed the spelling is different on the air ambulance, is there a reason?

Either way what a beautiful collection!

picture.php

PS: Is the air ambulance yours too and do you fly?

my choice!

My choice would be the 1941 Miller Cadillac carved-side funeral coach, which my great grandfather purchased, and was shortly after used on his funeral........

Very much enjoy and appreciate hearing responses so far. Reading them has provided educational. Keep 'em coming!

May as well throw down .02. As some of you know, I've kept a registry of all known surviving '59 and '60 Superior Crowns going back into the '90s. Among them, I consider Dennis Goethe's stupendous original '60 Crown Royale Landaulet 3-way a grail.

6234286_orig.jpg

http://www.seemycars.com/1960-cadillac-hearse.html <-----Much better pics with accompanying story!

Really wanted to suggest maybe a '30s grail but after much consideration decided to go with familiarity. Lame and predictable, right? :p

Another I consider a grail is this magnificent '60 Fleetwood based ambulance built by Dutch coach builder Smit-Joure (posted previously on site). Tough for me to lustfully gaze upon without having the whole heart-pitter-patter thing happening. Between those roof windows, all that stainless (note roof trim ending in corner lights), the simple, elegant, and effective two-tone paint treatment (a la '59-'60 MM ambulance), the rear Eldorado grille...then considering rarity (at least 2 were made). May not be traditional but make no mistake - this is one classy ambulance. Completely smitten like a kitten.

1001520_10151735898108221_933238255_n.jpg

534772_10151735859603221_264737158_n.jpg

Starrs and STARS

Thanks for your kind comments.

Starrs was the major ambulance provider for Calgary from 1931 to the mid 1960's. I hold a strong tie to it as my father knew the founder, Mr. Ernie Starr and in the early 60's I would ride my bike down to their base and admire the wonderful vehicles they ran, including my favorite, a 65 Superior Pontiac Rescuer. Several years ago Evan Butcher fulfilled a life long dream I NEVER EVER thought I would see, owning a sister car.

STARS: http://www.stars.ca/

Started in 1985 in Calgary to serve southern Alberta. (I stand to be corrected but believe) it is now the largest non government, non profit air ambulance program in North America, serving the three prarie provinces provinces. They do terrific work!

The posted picture was from EMS week earlier this year along with Emergency Medical Services of Alberta Health Services. They provide all ground and much of the fixed wing service for Alberta. Wonderful to "hang out" with two big players who do a lot of good.

Thanks for your interest.

For me?

Absolute holiest of grails? Tough, but it's down to these two for me:

8283558361_e59fb7ecb5_b.jpg

4050041662_fa18c3986e_b.jpg

I'm sure many will agree: the Crown stying introduced by Superior for '59 is incredible. It's my absolute favorite, and I feel the '59 Landau is the perfect example of it. It sends chills up my spine.

The other is the '59 Bubbletop Series 75 limo, built for the Queen's visit to Canada.

Of course for me, any '59 or '60 procar is grail... in fact, most old Cadillacs at all are enough to drive me crazy.

Thanks for member Dave Smith for hosting the photos.

Last edited:
Josh, not only does the Queen's limo exist in a private collection but I have visited it on multiple occasions! Its history has been shared with me going back to the '70s. Owner has been meticulously planning a 100pt restoration for years, which is finally about to start.

Every car in this collection is a mind blowing grail. No joke.

Star's & Starr's

Tim,

Thank you for the response regarding the information on Star’s & Starr’s, it’s a neat story. It’s also neat that you were able to find the sister car and I can tell how special that is to you. There is no price that can be placed on such special sentimental memories of our youth such as you riding your bike down to see the ambulances.

As humans I find the psychological aspect very interesting that so many of us as adults find solace in trying to recapture the days of our youth through surrounding ourselves with memories of it. For some it’s because they sadly miss their youth while for others it might the incredible joy certain times or special memories brought them, or a combination of both.

Think for a moment how each of us are also different in the aspect of what memories stand out for us. For you it was the Ambulance while another person might fondly remember riding their bike down to the same place and their memories might be wrapped up in their bicycle. Then later in life they seek out a vintage bicycle just like the one they had as a child to recapture their childhood memories. Of course I think Pee Wee Herman would automatically come to mind if we witnessed an adult man who was riding around on a vintage bike while wearing an intoxicating smile of happiness on his face but the “cool” factor is much greater pulling up in a vintage hightop opposed to riding in on a vintage bicycle.

PeeWeeBike.jpg

But there are people out there who do consider their childhood bikes their “Holy Grail” of their childhood as seen below.

2010-sturgis-pee-wee-herman-bike-build%20(1).jpg

It’s also interesting that there are so many people here who find their “Holy Grail” to be a professional vehicle that has no connection to their childhood but rather it’s just a “cool” sought after vehicle like the 1960 Fleetwood based ambulance built by Dutch coach builder Smit-Joure that Attila just posted, unless Attila was reared in the Netherlands. (Neat vehicle by the way Attilla) or the 1959 Bubbletop Limo simply due to its styling and grace.

I remember as a child the building where my grandfathers housed his vintage auto collection and for me I was more enamored with the actual building than all the vehicles that were stored inside. It wasn’t until I was in my early teens did the cars become of any interest and then it was only out of a yearning to become mobile via a vehicle to replace my bicycle which by that time I felt had reached its “transportation” limitations.

The building where those cars were housed still intrigues me to this day but not in the same way as it did when I was a child. Today I reflect and question myself as to why I ever found that building so intriguing as a child, after all it’s only a building.

Another thing I find interesting Tim is that the only connection to the “Starr’s” ambulance was it was a family friend who owned the company. Meaning I'm assuming your father was not an ambulance driver but regardless of that fact you being so enamored with the ambulances probably started you on your journey and interest in the medical profession and was probably largely responsible for your career path. Funny how life goes and I’m surprised I didn’t grow up to be an architect after my intense intrigue with that building.

PS. I hope my post isn’t too far off topic as it pertains more to the psychological aspect of what or how we determine what “Grails” are and the interest in professional vehicles as a whole. Although my post is in response to Tim I feel it is also relevant to everyone.

This one will always be my holy grail...
1964 Chevy - Pinner service car. My heart TRULY skipped a beat when I finally found it. Reading discussions on this car for many years I always hoped someday it would at least surface again.
Long sory short, I bought it sight-unseen and went to upstate New York to bring it home. Meeting Jack & Tom Pinner at the 2011 International meet was amazing, together they filled in alot of gaps in the real story about the car and verified it is a "one-of-one" build. They actually built three (one per year) in consecutive years '64, '65, & '66 so their styling was each unique to that year's production based Biscayne station wagon. All three were ordered by Fred Herbst Funeral Home in Brooklyn, however this is the only one known to survive.
The stories the Pinner brothers told me @ Hudson are the driving force to restore it to it's former glory. A couple examples were when the Biscayne was delivered new from GM it was in the dark of night, as the 1964 models hadn't been revealed yet to the public. Another was that upon completion Jack Pinner drove it all the way to Brooklyn for delivery... he said it was the loneliest drive he EVER did because it's a radio-delete car!
That being said, I had Tom & Jack both autograph the radio-delete panel. Restoration resumes this fall...

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

Could these guys look more proud?!?!?

IMG_1194.jpg

I secretly took this pic early one morning, Jack was in the parking lot staring at his dad's legacy and later told of all the memories that car stirred for him...

I have a car in mind to add to this discussion, but I'm biting my tongue to keep my mouth shut. Why? Because production was extremely limited, being interupted by World War II, and none were known to have survived. Well just a couple weeks ago, a friend called me to tell about this odd car he'd come across and thought I might be interested. I darn near fell on the floor when I saw the photos of what he'd found! He and I both are now in the process of trying to discover/contact the owner to hopefully make him no longer the owner! So the secrecy is due to not wanting to risk having others swoop in and steal it out from under me, and because if it does become mine, I want to be the one who reveals it. But here's one more clue, for a hearse guy like me to be going nuts over an ambulance, you better bet its something special!

This thread has been dominated by mostly old cars, and all have been well deserving of mention. But one car that I think should be added to the list is the black 1996 Cadillac S&S limousine style Masterpiece built for Archambault Funeral Home in Lowell,Mass. It is supposedly still hibernating in a garage up there, at least that's what Mr. Archambault told me about 4 years ago or so.

This thread has been dominated by mostly old cars, and all have been well deserving of mention. But one car that I think should be added to the list is the black 1996 Cadillac S&S limousine style Masterpiece built for Archambault Funeral Home in Lowell,Mass. It is supposedly still hibernating in a garage up there, at least that's what Mr. Archambault told me about 4 years ago or so

I had the same thought , would any body know if there where any other Limo style,s made from 93-96 by S&S ?

Back