procar 'grails'

Considering recent forum discussion, let's discuss what other elusive procars can considered holy grails and why. Strong cases can be made for several - like Flxible Innovation, Miller Cathedral Carved, MM Guardian, etc just to name a few. There are no right/wrong responses.

Little different than filling in a dream procar list. Grails should focus on different parameters (low production numbers, inventiveness, design, known remaining, etc.) regardless if it happens to fit your individual collecting parameters (or owned/want to own). Given such a diverse array of procar tastes and knowledge depth here, replies should be quite varied and stimulating. ;)

Here is mine...

1960 Eureka 3way Landau Hearse

I would say there are less than 10 in existence but have no facts on that.

:thumb:
Darren

Attachments

• 60 Eureka 3way DREAM CAR.jpg
    60 Eureka 3way DREAM CAR.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 906
1954 - 1956 Superior Beau Mondes, of course. The innovative "hardtop hearses" made in end-load, combo and flower car versions with fold up, disappearing "B" pillars.

According to the late great Bernie DeWinter, approximately 12 made from 1954 - 1956 and as far as I know only 3 56's known to exist. The blue one from eBay that went to Australia, the black one in Columbia in that incredible collection and my black 56 Combo that needs everything. Rumor has it that the green 54 prototype is hiding in a barn in Ohio somewhere.

Holy Grail to me is any car of any year model or make that is a low / no mileage all original pristine mint condition vehicle regardless of production numbers produced or popularity.

You can have a totally restored Carved Panel Hearse that’s the only example remaining or even a frame off restored 1959 High top Guardian ambulance or even a ratty low production un-restored rare vehicle but nothing will ever touch “Grail” status in my book more than an ALL ORIGINAL low mileage pristine condition vehicle of any year or make.

They are out there too just VERY rare and this is what makes them such “Grail” cars IMHO

Would certainly make people stop and stare in amazement as Guardian model was introduced in '60. :p

Yes but they began their design and pre-production in 1959. In your Guardian research did you not come across any information that there was in fact at least one known 1959 Guardian produced as a conceptual model.

To me it would be a unused, fully loaded 1973 or older Superior Cadillac hightop ambulance, purchased brand new by an eccentric funeral director who died shortly after purchasing it, and his funeral home went out of business but his rolling stock remained unused and hidden away/forgotten about in a hermetically sealed back garage somewhere hidden behind a lot of vines. Vehicle has less than 100 miles on the odometer, and still has plastic seat covers over the seats from the Superior dealership, and the ambulance was never used for a single run!

Last edited:
To me it would be a unused, fully loaded Superior Cadillac hightop ambulance, purchased brand new by an eccentric funeral director who died shortly after purchasing it, and his funeral home went out of business but his rolling stock remained unused and hidden away/forgotten about in a hermetically sealed back garage somewhere hidden behind a lot of vines. Vehicle has less than 100 miles on the odometer, and still has plastic seat covers over the seats from the Superior dealership, and the ambulance was never used for a single run!

Wasn't there in fact a Doctor who purchased one of the last 1977 Superior Hightop ambulances that came off the assembly line and never used it in ambulance service as well as its all original and has VERY low miles? He in fact purchased it as a collectible vehicle.

I would say the chances of finding an older Ambulance like that would be almost unheard of but not an older coach or limo.

1959 or 1960 Eureka 18" Chicago style flower car. only 4 Eureka flower cars were made per year for 1959 or 1960. Only 1 18" flower car was made each year. Have yet to lay eyes on one in person. I suggest a holy grail needs to be something sought after by more than just the person who wants it too. I would assume someone else may want a low deck eureka flower car besides me.

Editing Posts

Attila and Able you both went back and edited your original posts (comments) after I had already quoted you and responded. Not sure how Attila was able to do it without it showing he edited it unless he beat the time frame where you can edit a post without it showing its been edited.

Either way it basically makes the comments I made with your original quotes in both cases moot points as you both changed the wording in your original posts to address or clarify both responses. LOL

I would say that holy grail is subjective to what a person likes. I owned a 1960 Eureka three way it was somewhat of a project, after I figure out that I could not make an ambulance out of it I sold it to Nick Yassan. Don't get me wrong, a Eureka is an absolutely stunning coach, but to me Its not the holy grail. My point is, it depends on the eyes of the beholder and the frame of mind at the time what the beholder is beholding. Right now my holy grail is the right low top ambulance. I would love to find a 1970 M&M low top ambulance.
Just my 2 cents

I agree with Ed in that a '60 Eureka "Hi Boy" would be about as good as it gets when it comes to ambulances. Second place would be a '60 Miller-Meteor Guardian.

Flxible Innovation would definitely be one, but I have to ask,which would be more desired, the One of Cadillacs or one of the Buicks??
Another would be the 57 and 58 S&S Cadillac Park Place, both are most likely the only ones built from what I understand.

All I can think of at the moment. The others were either already mentioned or would be my personal grail cars(better for the dream procar list).

for Me...it has to be a 1933-34 Eureka Carved panel "beavertail" Town Car ( page 65 Professional Cars )

or a 1954 Eureka electric three-way landau in Black !

59 Guardian??

Yes but they began their design and pre-production in 1959. In your Guardian research did you not come across any information that there was in fact at least one known 1959 Guardian produced as a conceptual model.

I will be the first to admit that I do not know much about them, but would love to know more about this concept 59 Guardian you speak of. Im not even a 59 Cadillac fan, but this sounds very interesting.

The holy grail for me would be exactly what I have now only as a 3-way instead of Endloader, though if one popped up I would not ditch mine for it as it doesnt bother me.

Wasn't there in fact a Doctor who purchased one of the last 1977 Superior Hightop ambulances that came off the assembly line and never used it in ambulance service as well as its all original and has VERY low miles? He in fact purchased it as a collectible vehicle...
PCS member Dr. Roger White ordered the last 1979 Superior Cadillac ambulance, specifically to be a collector vehicle. He sold it some years ago to Dr. Dave Richards, and it's well cared for. :cool:

A few choices

My first is not really a procar. I want a GMC rescue truck exactly like Rescue 8.

Next would be a Superior or M&M combo, all white, great shape, with a red and white hilltopper light.

Any beautiful late 60s early 70s hightop would be great, as would a late 60s early 70s truck based ambulance.

Of course, it would also be nice to play pool with Jennifer Anniston, and find out she loves procars, but . . . .

What about the 1976 Superior Coupe de Fleur? 18 built by Superior and I've only ever seen a picture of one. Wonder how many are still around

Attachments

• 76_Flower_Car_Parker_Buck_001.jpg
    76_Flower_Car_Parker_Buck_001.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 323
Back