upstate NY return trip is NEXT WEEK

Attila Bethlenfalvy said:
Chuck and anyone else interested, it took almost 10 months to receive permission to be on this property. There is a small window between third week of April and first week of May where ground should be firm yet foliage not in bloom, TBD by amount of precipitation from now to then. I simply did not have enough time to remove all desired items in 2 days this trip so another is planned within that time frame. Left a list of items I'm taking next trip, which will also be 2 days. ('59 Superior Pontiac moldings are not included. :p) Will try to map property before returning to have a 'key'. Like the idea of saving time and miles trekked. :thumbsup:

Opening opportunity to anyone that wants to join for next foray. Two have already expressed interest in going privately. This is a massive property in upstate NY. Although few cars are restorable, there are hundreds of desirable units one just doesn't see in typical junkyards any more among the thousands present. I believe there are more procars yet as well, as property owner's description didn't match what I came across, plus I found units he did not remember. If you're within a day's drive and want in on the fun, PM/email to be kept in loop. Closest hotels ($60/single) are 16 miles one direction and 12 miles the opposite direction. Property owner says Sundays are out and he prefers to have his Saturdays free, so most likely a M-F visit, although a Friday & Saturday trip is possible.

Later return than anticipated between late snow and a wet Spring. I've been in contact with property owner throughout. As of late last week ground was still quite sloppy. Had wanted a Fri-Sat foray but owner called today and relayed that something has come up on Sat and he will not be available. Darren, John, Charles, Chuck, Dana, Nikki, and whomever else - this happens Thursday and Friday, May 9-10. :071:

Foliage will be pushing it. Be prepared with boots and Deep Woods Off. PMs/emails to follow. Refresher pics:

www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11788&page=3

Unfortunately Mother Nature is screwing us this week. Rain second half of Wed, first half of Thurs, then on and off showers all day Fri. Trip is POSTPONED until next Thurs-Fri, May 16-17. (Still wanted a Fri-Sat trip but property owner won't know until next Thurs-Fri if he'll have Sat open, which is too late.) We're going to have to deal with more foliage. Argh! Still better than driving 1200 miles AND having to pull parts in the rain/sloppy yard for me anyway. :(

For those wanting a hotel reservation: Batavia right off 90 or Brockport offer multiple options. I've stayed in both cities and prefer Brockport as it is more reasonable.

Econo Lodgemore $60/double
6575 4th Section Road
Brockport, NY 14420

We will get there one of these days!

Thanks for the hotel information Attila!

Dad and I are still in, but unfortunately, only for Thursday this time around.
We will be in the area Wednesday night,
spend the night and be ready whenever you are Thursday morning.

Hmmm...

I was hoping to get there this week because the item that you are bring with you for me to purchase is going to be a Mother's Day gift for my wife. I guess that she will have to wait a week for that Mother's Day coffin that I am getting for her! :) :) :)

Everything still good for the NY trip tomorrow?
At least the weather looks better this week compared to last week.

We got our reservations and are all set.
Send along the details when you get a chance.

Thanks!

Charles

See you at the Econolodge tonight.

I will be heading out shortly after a tire repair for a nail or something like that.

Take it easy and drive safe,
Darren

Dad and I got in an hour or so ago.
It was a good drive up and we are really looking forward to tomorrow!

Thanks for the PM with the details Attila!
Also thanks for giving me a call to fill us in on everything!

We haven't seen Darren yet, but I am sure we will by morning anyway!

Pictures (lots of pictures) to come in the next few days!

We just got back in from a great day in the yard.
Some great pro car finds and a whole lot of interesting automobile history in general!

First picture is of the crew... Darren, Dana, Dad (Chuck) and Jacob!
Second picture is of the 59 Superior Pontiac that we went looking for!

We are all cleaned up and getting ready to get a bite to eat!
Lots more photos to come when we get back from dinner!

Attachments

• The Crew.jpg
    The Crew.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 277
  • 59 Pontiac.jpg
    59 Pontiac.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 271
Sorry, but the additional pictures will have to wait until tomorrow!

Just like any great PCS event, there was much talk after dinner.
We ate at Friendly's restaurant next door to the hotel.
Finished up there at about 9pm and sat in our hotel room (it was a bit too cold to get out the lawn chairs and occupy the parking lot) until now... Well after midnight chatting about everything and anything!

This has been a great trip all around. A few good friends, a lot of classic cars and trucks and some quality socializing! What more can one ask for?

Work is always coming in the way of our hobbies and I understand not being able to take time off, but we sure did miss seeing Attila. The guy that made all this possible and he is stuck 'in the office' while we are here having a ball climbing around all the old cars. Thank you very much Attila!

I promise though, more pictures to come...

I learned a hard lesson yesterday.

Spent a solid two hours on initial trip painstakingly removing frozen ground away from one good S&M glass lens that had sunken over time. Note passenger side.

599494_10151597906383221_743318636_n.jpg

Mainly used a 1/2" wood chisel and a 3 pound mini-sledge digging. Immense diligence was taken not to apply any pressure on (nor touch) glass itself with any tools. The process was incredibly slow going. Deeper hole became, the further my frozen hands went, delving into ground water that perpetually filled hole from under '62 somewhere. This was complicated by broken windshield glass everywhere, which was cutting my hands up. Managed to get rotted trim ring off. Could tell lens was indeed intact.

941190_10151597905978221_106469613_n.jpg

Lens would NOT come off. I had it entirely 'exposed'. Two variables kept it affixed to body: Rotted gasket and frozen temperatures. Tried mini-trenching water away. That didn't work either.

375094_10151597905988221_334264369_n.jpg

Property owner assured me it would be there on my next trip and suggested I leave it until weather warms. It seemed like the best call.

Work this week ended up having much higher flow than anticipated and I couldn't get away for more than a day, which thwarted my plans! Dana and Charles found the Olds to retrieve this lens on my behalf.

This S&M lens was broken in 3 pieces.

Completely my doing as it turns out. That hole I dug which held water subsequently froze. Lens couldn't take the pressure. Never would have crossed my mind!

Sucks.

Any similar scenario will never repeat from this point forth.

Oh no, your best-laid plans and all. Looks like you even dug a drainage trench to drain the water from the hole. Sorry to hear that the situation was made worse, not better. So it goes, you tried, and I don't think anyone would have thought of that happening.

How about the left (upper) lens, was that saved?

A big thank you to Attila for setting this up. It was well worth the 450 mile trip. I was very disappointed that work prevented Attila from making it to his own party, and I was looking forward to finally meeting in person. I wasn't planning on buying anything, but came away with a few items - a GMC cabover truck gave up some Guide MB-5 chrome trim rings from its cab marker lights, for the back of my front S&S tunnel lights. I liberated an amber-domed Federal 17 from the remains of an Oshkosh plow truck, and I also grabbed a St. Johnsbury Trucking Co. branded mudflap (not procar related, but St. Johnsbury, VT, where the company started, is about a 1/2 hr from me.)

Another shot of the '39 Miller, now that the snow is gone:

Attachments

• 39miller.jpg
    39miller.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 158
Jacob,

Glad to see that you guys found the '39!

With working on removing parts for dad's '59, the '39 is on that we never got to see (we never found it Thursday). We didn't have the time in just one day to see the whole yard and to also remove parts!

All said, we spent well over 6 hours out in the yard Thursday and I am sure that there were more than a few areas that we didn't get to see. This would be a great yard to spend two days in just to look around (and then another two days to go back and pick up all the wanted parts :D )!

:thumbsup: I promised more pictures to come!

#1 - Dad and Darren working on removing trim from the '59.
#2 - Harvesting parts is a tough job! Darren needed a rest!
#3 - Another overall picture of the '59.
#4 - Back door of the '59 clearly says 'Frontier'.
#5 - Jacob on the roof of (what is left of) the cabover removing the MB-5 trim rings.

Attachments

• '59 Trim.jpg
    '59 Trim.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Resting.jpg
    Resting.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 59 overall.jpg
    59 overall.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Frontier.jpg
    Frontier.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 154
  • cabover rings.jpg
    cabover rings.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 157
Although this was not a professional car, I thought some here would enjoy seeing it. It is a hand crank tow truck that looked very much like some of the fire trucks of the era. We were not 100% sure if this was built off of a retired fire truck or if it would have been built by one of the coach companies specifically for towing. The tunnel lights on the roof were unique and especially the built in spot light on the rear roof. That spotlight is huge!

Attachments

• truck side.jpg
    truck side.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 152
  • truck front.jpg
    truck front.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 152
  • truck rear.jpg
    truck rear.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 152
Back