1974 M-M Cadillac Criterion Ambulance For Sale ***

I received the following e-mail today from my friend, A.J. Heightman, who is interested in selling his Criterion. If you want a GREAT Criterion ambulance at a GREAT price, please act on this quickly. The car is in southern California. I have more pics if you want. Here's the info:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steve,

I have decided to sell my 1974 Cadillac Criterion Ambulance because I do not have the time to do all the exterior body work that it needs and I would rather invest the money into educational accounts for my two Grandchildren.

I will offer it to an EMS collector at just $9,000 (unequipped) or $11,000 (with all the 1974 era equipment in the ambulance and cabinets (This includes: Vintage BVMs; pristine FERNO Model 30 cot and IV holder; first release Laerdal Suction unit; RICO suction unit; Modura rail with vintage BP cuff & timer units; soft cervical collars; bandages; splints; MAST trousers; 2-channel Motorola “brick” radio and vehicle charger; LIFESAVER Airway kit; Portable O2 setup with rubber Hudson mask and tubing; LIFEPORT O2 unit and tank; vintage/era Motorola radio in cab)

I have over $18,000 invested in it, including extra MARS lights and interior restoration.

All electrical systems items (red lights, sirens {Federal Q & Federal electronic} included) with the exception of the AC unit are fully operational.

Let me know if you know anyone who would like this 7,200 lb. piece of steel EMS history.

A.J.

A.J. Heightman, MPA, EMT-P
Editor-in-Chief, JEMS
aheightman@pennwell.com
2 - Front right view.jpg
1 -View of Left Side 1.jpg
5 - Rear - Door open Close-up 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, A.J. did give me permission to share his email address, direct-line work phone, and cell phone. I have chosen only to post the email here, but if you want his phone number, message me.

Steve: Please refresh my memory on this rig. Was it Kevin Lynch's at one time and does anyone know where it served brand new? THX-MM

THANKS STEVE! I received the complete package on it's (very interesting) history from you and have made e-mail contact with "AJ" for an inspection on Monday. Thanks again for your help.

(*) The last 1974 Criterion I owned (briefly) served the Norfolk Ambulance Service in Norfolk, NE., much like this one, it was pristine inside, ran-shifted-steered well, but was a "total rust out" and beyond what I wanted to take on at the time. Had M-M simply put drains in the bottom of the doors and the rockers, (I feel) 95% of the chronic rust issues nearly all of them suffered would have been eliminated. MM

THANKS STEVE! I received the complete package on it's (very interesting) history from you and have made e-mail contact with "AJ" for an inspection on Monday. Thanks again for your help.

(*) The last 1974 Criterion I owned (briefly) served the Norfolk Ambulance Service in Norfolk, NE., much like this one, it was pristine inside, ran-shifted-steered well, but was a "total rust out" and beyond what I wanted to take on at the time. Had M-M simply put drains in the bottom of the doors and the rockers, (I feel) 95% of the chronic rust issues nearly all of them suffered would have been eliminated. MM
You're welcome.

He said it needs some body work, but from the photos, it doesn't appear to be a "total rust out". That said, though I've seen a lot of photos of it (and even helped connect Kevin with the second owners in WA), I've never seen the car in person, so I can't say for sure. And you're right about the drains - but then again, I don't think M-M expected "work vehicles" to be around 40+ years later.

I wonderes if this car was still alive! Back in old internet days it was one of the only documented and well pictured cars available on the web. Beautiful Criterion, why asking a low price like this? Is there any bad issues ?

I wonderes if this car was still alive! Back in old internet days it was one of the only documented and well pictured cars available on the web. Beautiful Criterion, why asking a low price like this? Is there any bad issues ?

I will be doing a personal inspection of it tomorrow (Monday @1100) at the AMR Offices in San Diego. MM

I have a friend and Studebaker collector who worked at US Steels Fairless works here in Pennsylvania. Many years ago he told me Studes rust issues were in part because they purchased second line steel for bodies. If I remember right higher carbon content equaled more rust. Among other buyers mentioned by him was Divco equals M-M. Around here (Eastern and Northern Penna.) M-Ms always rusted before Superior or S&S easy to see why. I have a Criterion in the yard came from Central N.J. was retired due to rust has been in yard for ten years and every time I look there is less there.

I received the following e-mail today from my friend, A.J. Heightman, who is interested in selling his Criterion. If you want a GREAT Criterion ambulance at a GREAT price, please act on this quickly. The car is in southern California. I have more pics if you want. Here's the info:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steve,

I have decided to sell my 1974 Cadillac Criterion Ambulance because I do not have the time to do all the exterior body work that it needs and I would rather invest the money into educational accounts for my two Grandchildren.

I will offer it to an EMS collector at just $9,000 (unequipped) or $11,000 (with all the 1974 era equipment in the ambulance and cabinets (This includes: Vintage BVMs; pristine FERNO Model 30 cot and IV holder; first release Laerdal Suction unit; RICO suction unit; Modura rail with vintage BP cuff & timer units; soft cervical collars; bandages; splints; MAST trousers; 2-channel Motorola “brick” radio and vehicle charger; LIFESAVER Airway kit; Portable O2 setup with rubber Hudson mask and tubing; LIFEPORT O2 unit and tank; vintage/era Motorola radio in cab)

I have over $18,000 invested in it, including extra MARS lights and interior restoration.

All electrical systems items (red lights, sirens {Federal Q & Federal electronic} included) with the exception of the AC unit are fully operational.

Let me know if you know anyone who would like this 7,200 lb. piece of steel EMS history.

A.J.

A.J. Heightman, MPA, EMT-P
Editor-in-Chief, JEMS
aheightman@pennwell.com

So here is the report..... I met Mr. Heightman at the AMR-San Diego HQ Shops this morning at 1100 as agreed. While the interior was nice and probably even "over the top" for being (medically) completely era correct equipped... the exterior was almost beyond belief in rust, so much I think we would have had to put Kevin Lynch on "life support" if he were there. Since leaving Kevin's "pampered" caretakership in late 1998, it has only accumulated less than 2000 miles and both the Doctor who Kevin sold it to (who used it for a sign board) and the current owner (the Editor in Chief @JEMS Communications) have put thousands of dollars in to the mechanical part ie; brakes, suspension, tires, exhaust system, electrical issues and several tune-ups (to make it pass CA Smog regulations). 100% of this outside-vendor work was well documented in many file folders of paid receipts. The files also included the copies of the original bid documents to a M-M Dealer, and delivery to the City of Stanwood (WA) with only 23 miles on the odometer.

My first inclination was to totally pass on it. I suggested that he re-post the ad with current pictures as Criterions are well sought after regardless of condition. After some discussion of what it will take us (in hard money costs) to make it show ready, we settled on a much lower figure we both could live with, and (equally) fair. "AJ" was a close friend (as I was to the late James O. "Jim" Page) and only asked if he could still drive it occasionally to local medical equipment related events after it's finished.... that was fine with me.

(*) I will send the pictures we took today to Steve Litchman and Kevin Lynch. They can decide if they want to share them or not. THX-MM

Criterion

Thank you Mike, for the report....

You saved me a trip and I dont think I am as brave as you when it comes to the dreaded "R" word....
I wish you good luck with it and look forward to seeing pictures.....!!:thumbsup:

PS You will have to bring it to Ripon ;)

Jim: Is 1st "outing" will be on the back of a rollback tow truck from AMR's Shop in San Diego to our holding yard in Valley Center, so a piece of rust doesn't fly off and injure a CHP Motor Officer. MM

Mike, best of success in its rebirth. From everything you post you are passionate about these cars and will be able to breathe life back into it.:applause:

Thank you Mike, for the report....

You saved me a trip and I dont think I am as brave as you when it comes to the dreaded "R" word....
I wish you good luck with it and look forward to seeing pictures.....!!:thumbsup:

PS You will have to bring it to Ripon ;)

Jim: We are (VERY) fortunate here to have an excellent "metal crafting" person here who has worked for me over 28 years... mostly on our heavy equipment and trucks, but we throw in an occassional ambulance, police car or fire truck in to the mix to keep it interesting for him! MM

Congratulations, Mike! As a former Criterion owner ('75), it's nice to see this one going to a good home. I know you and your guys will do a great job with it.

You're welcome.

He said it needs some body work, but from the photos, it doesn't appear to be a "total rust out". That said, though I've seen a lot of photos of it (and even helped connect Kevin with the second owners in WA), I've never seen the car in person, so I can't say for sure. And you're right about the drains - but then again, I don't think M-M expected "work vehicles" to be around 40+ years later.

Old photos. As a person who has owned two Criterion's my only regret was to sell the 74 Criterion. Problem was the body needed attention more than I could provide. This was the first Criterion I ever saw when Kevin owned it and it was breath taking. I'm sure Mike will give it a good home.

How about some current pictures Mike....

Last edited:
Back