Air Force Cadillac Ambulance?

Didn't know we used these way back when, but I surfed across this one from the Air Force History Pages at Laughlin AFB as I was looking for others.
Credit to the USAF historians who capture nearly everything in film.

Attachments

• 080319-F-0000X-001-1.jpg
    080319-F-0000X-001-1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,276
Both Superior and Miller supplied these to military branches through at least '51. One of the quickest visual indicators in determining which coach builder is to look at the spare tire access panel directly behind the driver door. Superior hinged them at the waist line; Miller hinged them a couple inches above the waistline.

The one you've posted appears to be a Superior. Each had ID plates mounted to passenger side of dash.

dsc03550q.jpg

PCS member Chris Bruno is currently restoring a Miller version.

Be nice now!

A 51 Cad. was the first Ambulance I ever drove , It was the base Ambulance at CFB Gypsonville in 1976-77 Had the cadillacauto rans. with the screwed up prnundl, it was 1st, 2 nd, 3rd,.nuetral ,park, then reverse.manual streering loved going straight, hated turns, fought you all the way. Have pics. of it somewhere, will post.

I have some other pictures of a more recent Air Force ambulance on a flight line and hope to find them soon. They were related to the assassination of Egyptian President Anwar Sadat back in the 70's I believe.

If I had a Cotner Bevington, I would restore it to USAF glory! Funny how you can also tell an Air Force ambulance by the sticker on the dash telling the light colors to cross the runway from the tower, which is also why we had to test color vision for all medics.

We're still at whits end here in CT.

Happy 2014 everyone, We so need Spring & Summer here in Connecticut..We're still coming up empty (ZERO) in trying to find this replacement windshield for our 1952 Cadillac Superior Ambulance. The ambulance looks MINT, Fleet continues to pick away at her within the interior, but boy hitting this brick wall has really hurt ...I've spoke to every kind of expert and professional in all industries and NO ONE has figured out this mystery
Whats on ther plate?
Did Superior actually make their own windshields?
Did the Fisher Body Co. make their own or have a specific part #

If anyone has the key to the Mystery, we'd love to hear from you

Bruce ! THE OLDEST one I got to drive was a 1974 Superior AWESOME long distance car. Attila Should we have found this same type of plaque on our 52..Only one we found was under he hood

Happy 2014 everyone, We so need Spring & Summer here in Connecticut..We're still coming up empty (ZERO) in trying to find this replacement windshield for our 1952 Cadillac Superior Ambulance. The ambulance looks MINT, Fleet continues to pick away at her within the interior, but boy hitting this brick wall has really hurt ...I've spoke to every kind of expert and professional in all industries and NO ONE has figured out this mystery
Whats on ther plate?
Did Superior actually make their own windshields?
Did the Fisher Body Co. make their own or have a specific part #

If anyone has the key to the Mystery, we'd love to hear from you

Bruce ! THE OLDEST one I got to drive was a 1974 Superior AWESOME long distance car. Attila Should we have found this same type of plaque on our 52..Only one we found was under he hood

Have you tried Pilkington glass? That year is a standard Cadillac windshield.

Also, just a quick google search saw this, I would contact to confirm if it is the one you need http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-1951-1...LD-GLASS-/291055642194?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
Or this site shows it listed http://search.cartserver.com/search...lac+windshield&bool=AND&search.x=0&search.y=0
There are more listings also, may just have to start going down the list.

Last edited:
ex-USAF

I had a '67 low-headroom Superior Pontiac USAF unit........no partition, little siren, little beacon, but the interior was still 100% USAF, right down to the control tower color signals! I wonder where it is now............

the glass he needs for that caddy is a series 62.

but with a little help from my friends I have gathered up these X air force ambulance pictures

Attachments

• 1953 henny usaf.jpg
    1953 henny usaf.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 349
  • 1966 airforce ambulance.jpg
    1966 airforce ambulance.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 443
  • 1972 Old USAF mac flight 2.jpg
    1972 Old USAF mac flight 2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 479
  • 1951 superior dod airforce.jpg
    1951 superior dod airforce.jpg