1974 Superior 54XL Ambulance Dilemma

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
Yesterday I was FINALLY able to take a look at the Superior 54XL ambulance that I had mentioned in another thread. It turned out to be a '74, not a '76. Wasn't able to get any service history on the car at all. It was sold to this salvage yard in 1991 and was last licensed in Appanoose County, Iowa. No parts have been sold off of the car since the yard has owned it. He is willing to sell the complete car or parts.

Here's my dilemma. As with many of us that are 50 and over, I have a list of "shoulda, coulda, wouldas" as long as my arm. I have personally parted out half a dozen cars 30 years ago that never should have been parted out. That list includes a '56 Superior Cadillac 3-way landau, a '58 Eureka Cadillac 3-way landau, a '59 Coupe deVille, a '60 Sedan deVille, a '57 Coupe deVille, and others.

I don't want to add to that list! At what point is a '74 Superior Cadillac 54XL not worth restoring?? Cadillac commercial chassis ambulance prices seem to be staying very strong. I suspect that ambulance prices will always remain considerably higher that any hearse in like condition. This particular ambulance is very complete, but has the typical lower door, fender, and quarter panel rust. All glass is intact with no cracks and all interior is surprisingly good. Not even a tear in the front seat or dash! Front fenders and hood are still easily attainable in good condition in my neck of the woods. I have a rust-free rear door off of a '71-'76 hearse that, I assume, could be modified and used on this car. Rust free doors can also be located if needed. Don't think it would need them, but I also have NOS '71 through '76 rocker panels.

I just don't want to part out a car that really should be saved. I would NEVER even consider restoring any '74 Cadillac hearse with a body in this condition. The car is still wearing its original orange/white color combination.

The owner is going to be moving the car out to where I can get a better look at the driver's side and get the hood open when I stop back in 2 weeks. I will take a bunch of photos of it at that time.

What are your thoughts??

buy it now, and the worse that can happen is you will sell it in a few years to someone that will restore it, if you don't find the time to do so. Your never too old to start a new project...

My thoughts:
1) Superior didn't offer a 54XL (like the Criterion) in '74, only '75 & '76.
2) Old saying, "Regret for the things you have done will pass with time. Regret for the things you didn't do is inconsolable."
3) If you buy it and later decide not to do anything with it, you can part it or sell it later. If you don't buy it and later decide you wanted it after all, it may not be there. Do you really want this to be a "woulda, coulda, shoulda"?
4) Anything is restorable, given enough money and time.
5) If you didn't really want this, you wouldn't have posed the question, you'd have just gotten what you needed and walked away.
:myopinion:

I agree with Steve. The fact that this one is a 54XL,which much fewer XL cars were built then a regular 54, makes it even more in need of saving. But that coming from someone that already has an ambulance orphanage of his own.

I agree with Paul and Steve. These ambulances are gaining wider appeal, even outside of the PCS. As a result, values are almost certainly going to go up and up. My opinion, GET HER BOUGHT!!

I appologize for getting folks excited thinking that this was the 1 illusive '74 54XL prototype. It is not. Just a standard 54 incher. I will have photos to post in a couple of weeks.

speaking as a man that owns 5 of these things I can honestly say for me they are a lot easier to get then get rid of. having one to just say you did is a expensive way to do the one ups man ship. but then again if it's one you want and you have a place to store it so it doesn't further deteriorate then they are not making them any more. finding one complete in any condition is hard. finding on in a yard that the interior is still in is all most impossible. had a chance to buy a 72 MM high top for 500 bucks. but the Interior is missing from the front seat back. no way to put it back together. do I regret not getting it. nope no place to put it no time to take it apart and I have 4 right now in need of major work. all I could do is pass.

I appologize for getting folks excited thinking that this was the 1 illusive '74 54XL prototype. It is not. Just a standard 54 incher. I will have photos to post in a couple of weeks.

Agreed, I have seen the photos, it is a 1974 Superior Cadilac 54" Hightop.

mind reader

buy it now, and the worse that can happen is you will sell it in a few years to someone that will restore it, if you don't find the time to do so. Your never too old to start a new project...

been telling my wife the same thing for years maybe she will go for it soon.

Kurt,
I can't wait to see the photos, at PFD we had a 74 Superior Hightop. A rare beast I'm sure. Production numbers would be a huge help if anyone has them.
Maybe Mr. Loftin can help here.

Photos

Here are a couple of photos of the '74 Superior 54". The owner finally had it drug out to where I could thoroughly check it out. It is NOT what I would ever consider "restorable". Ken Novak and I are buying some parts off of this car and then I will open it up to anyone that might be needing something. The interior, front and rear, is just as it was when it was pulled from service!

Attachments

• 2012-11-27_14-46-30_673.jpg
    2012-11-27_14-46-30_673.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 2012-11-27_14-47-11_102.jpg
    2012-11-27_14-47-11_102.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 288
Didn't take any interior photos, but everything(cot hooks, cabinetry, A.C. unit, door panels, etc.) is intact front and rear. Again, this is a parts car.

It is easy to understand why these ambulance were left to die a slow and rusty death back in the day. But, it sure seems a shame now, when they are gone beyond restoring.

That looks like a great car to restore. I have had alot of ambulances in worse shape saved. Don't appear to have to normal rusted out body panels that go along with these year caddy's.

It has ALL of the normal rust issues. Fenders, hood, doors, back bumper, floor, rocker panels, etc. are all rusted through. You would have to be a very accomplished welder with a very good parts car to do this one. The quarter panels are full of bondo. Look closely at the rear wheel openings. I will give you all the contact info after I get what I want. He is willing to sell the car or parts. I only want parts from this one.

It has ALL of the normal rust issues. Fenders, hood, doors, back bumper, floor, rocker panels, etc. are all rusted through. You would have to be a very accomplished welder with a very good parts car to do this one. The quarter panels are full of bondo. Look closely at the rear wheel openings. I will give you all the contact info after I get what I want. He is willing to sell the car or parts. I only want parts from this one.

My point Kurt was I have had alot worse but these cars are so desirable it would be worth fixing. I understand if you are not in mood for a project as most of us are not. Thanks for sharing.

I am willing to provide the owner's contact info to anyone interested in buying the car to restore...... after I have purchased the few items that I want off of the car. He will also sell parts off of the car. If someone is interested in a HUGE project, knock yourself out.

Back