Todays barn find

John Royark JR

PCS Member
Today I had to get out of the house so I took a pain killer and was on my way for a short drive. Before I knew it I was on a road I have never been on before. As usual, I look to see if any old cars are in someones pasture when about 500 yards off the road I thought I saw a pro car top. I turned around thinking it was just a station wagon, which has been the case so many times, but not this time!! From the road you still could not tell so I asked the owner if there was a hearse in the barn. The owner said yup, a 1952 Buick, (of course I knew right away it was a Flxible) it has been there over 20 years but does not want to sell. He said he wants to fix it sometime. He had no problem with me checking it out, so I waided through over waist high grass to check it out. I figured I would find a rusted hulk, so I was supprised to see the condition. The front interior is bad due to the fact it sitting in the sun. I was amazed to see how nice the rear was. There is no dents, or visible body rust, but the frame is on the ground. I left him my card and told him to contact me if he wants to sell it. MY card also has PCS info on it so maybe a new member?
Like a dumb ass I didnt even think of getting the numbers off it to see where it is from.

1952 Flxible Buick 1.jpg

1952 Flxible Buick 2.jpg

1952 Flxible Buick 5.jpg

1952 Flxible Buick 6.jpg

1952 Flxible Buick 7.jpg

1952 Flxible Buick 9.jpg

a few more

I guess I should have waited for the dust to settle some more before I took these.
The rear headliner was almost perfect and still soft.

1952 Flxible Buick 10.jpg

1952 Flxible Buick 11.jpg

1952 Flxible Buick 12.jpg

1952 Flxible Buick 13.jpg

1952 Flxible Buick 15.jpg

If I would of been with you, I would of suggested trading him for your 49 that you dislike so much, because the curtains are missing. :yankchain

Ah heck, who wants to own a coach thats only one of two ever made. John your 49 is gorgeous, I would of still suggested it. John my back is killing me right now and all I can think about is getting my mind off the pain I am in. My suggestion is that you are on a roll, and you should do the same thing you did today, tomorrow, except take two pain pills instead and I guarantee you will go down a different road tomorrow, maybe even find another coach, possibly a driver you can actually buy this time with curtains, half tank of fresh gas and the title card sitting on the seat with a pen that works, right next to it. The seller is a person that just wants to get that thing out of their garage so they can park their new suv in it.

Flxible landau

Good find, John! With it being fairly close to you, maybe you can make it back sometime to get the body number. Would be interesting to know this car's history, especially due to the extreme rarity.

radar eyes

ok, we all want it. you forgot the address or directions and thats what happens with painpills so did your car have gps? i already know the answer so i wont dwell on it. i want a 73 ive heard about but might like that one, who knows. you probaly crossed stste lines so i wont ask you to try and remember were it was locted at. kidding aside, nice fine. ya just gotta look. good job

John.....Tom McPherson sent me a note saying that this car had piqued his curiosity, so he dug out the Flxible production and delivery record book and once again confirmed that, in 1952, Flxible only delivered two landaus. He sent me the following information..."the first one was delivered to the Boothby Funeral Home in Cherokee, Iowa on July 30, 1952. It was body #17537 and was a Sterling (Super) funeral car FB21-552L. The next one was also a Sterling funeral coach (FB21-552L). It bore body #17548 and was delivered to the Robertson Funeral Home in Laredo, Missouri on September 4, 1952. According to the 'official' records, these are the only two landau style professional cars the company sold, built and delivered in 1952. If they built another one, someone missed the "L" at the end of the model number when entering it into the book." He told me that, as a straight end-loading hearse, a 1952 Sterling Landau would have retailed $6,038. John, I hope that sometime you'll be able to get a look at the Flxible serial plate on this car to see which of these two units it is. Being one of only two built and as an example of the last of the first series of Flxible-Buicks, it would seem that this car would be extremely collectable. It's certainly rare. Just thought I'd share this with everyone.

Jn a world full of imitations, that looks to be a true barn find!

And, a car with provenance - not some vehicle with an unknown past. Unlike some cars that come with good "stories" (a certain Superior-Pontiac ambulance immediately comes to mind), this is a rare car (what else would you call one of two ever built) with a known , facory documented, history.

ok, we all want it. you forgot the address or directions and thats what happens with painpills so did your car have gps? i already know the answer so i wont dwell on it. i want a 73 ive heard about but might like that one, who knows. you probaly crossed stste lines so i wont ask you to try and remember were it was locted at. kidding aside, nice fine. ya just gotta look. good job

I know exactly where it is. Any time I find one I never forget where it is.

John.....Tom McPherson sent me a note saying that this car had piqued his curiosity, so he dug out the Flxible production and delivery record book and once again confirmed that, in 1952, Flxible only delivered two landaus. He sent me the following information..."the first one was delivered to the Boothby Funeral Home in Cherokee, Iowa on July 30, 1952. It was body #17537 and was a Sterling (Super) funeral car FB21-552L. The next one was also a Sterling funeral coach (FB21-552L). It bore body #17548 and was delivered to the Robertson Funeral Home in Laredo, Missouri on September 4, 1952. According to the 'official' records, these are the only two landau style professional cars the company sold, built and delivered in 1952. If they built another one, someone missed the "L" at the end of the model number when entering it into the book." He told me that, as a straight end-loading hearse, a 1952 Sterling Landau would have retailed $6,038. John, I hope that sometime you'll be able to get a look at the Flxible serial plate on this car to see which of these two units it is. Being one of only two built and as an example of the last of the first series of Flxible-Buicks, it would seem that this car would be extremely collectable. It's certainly rare. Just thought I'd share this with everyone.

Thanks for the info. Since he does not want to sell at this time Im not going to bother him anymore, so for now it will remain a mystery. If I go back he may get upset and not let me know when he decides to sell it, or he may think I am real interested in buying it (which Im not) and jack up the price. I know how long it has been there, so I already know it needs way too much work for my interest, but I will be sure to keep an eye on it.

it might not hurt to drop in and fill him in on the Hx of the car just for his information. might perk his interest in the PCS and spur some movement. just let him know you shared his desire to keep the car and just want to fill him in on what you were able to find out internationally about it.

If he hasnt done anything to it in 20 plus years, hes not ever going to do anything with it.

Most likley not. But he still has a right to be left alone. I know if I told someone I do not want to selll my cars and someone came back again in a few days in regards to it I would be pissed. I left him my card, and PCS info so if he wants he can contact me.

Last edited:
it might not hurt to drop in and fill him in on the Hx of the car just for his information. might perk his interest in the PCS and spur some movement. just let him know you shared his desire to keep the car and just want to fill him in on what you were able to find out internationally about it.

I told him about the PCS and he can find alot of info on the coach, and help with parts here. If he wants he can come here on his own. It is not my place to tell him any more history and rairity of the car than I already have when I looked at it. I did not post my entire conversation with him. You never know, he may be one that normally would sell it for $500, but if he finds out the rarity next thing you know it will be on Ebay for the price of gold and everyone here will just bitch about what he wants. Believe me, this is not the only sought after car he has sitting around the farm.

I never thought my thread would end up being a you should stop again and tell him this, or that, I know what Im doing. I just wanted to share some new pics here.

Back