Question about Data Tags...

So for some time I have been trying to determine whether or not my 1962 S&S Victoria's color is Granada Green, ( an option that particular year). Finally I got around to looking at the build Data Tag. But alas it is not on the cowl where it should be. So that brings up the question; Did commercial chassis vehicles of this era have a data tag from the factory (Cadillac), or only a tag from the coachbuilder?

My car does have the Hess & Eisenhardt production tag on the driverside front fenderwell, so I know the original owner, S&S production number and model number, as well as the engine serial number. But I have no accessory code, paint code, or production date.

Also I know that the car would have been painted by S&S, but did the coachbuilders use standard Cadillac colors, or did they paint them in any color desired by the owner.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this question.

As far as colors, the customer usually specified a color, and it could be anything the customer wanted. The coachbuilder was not limited to only Cadillac colors, since they were ordering paint from a paint manufacturer, so they could order any color regardless of "car manufacturer" or "year". The paint didn't care what car it was on...

My '70 M-M ambulance, is painted Cotillion White and "Flamengo Red". That color was a mid-'60s GM color but certainly not a Cadillac color. It just looks good!

Indeed, in the '80s era of van ambulances, we had a Ford van with a really nice metallic green stripe which was, apparently, a Corvette color.

there is no GM paint or interior code because it was a incomplete chassis supplied to to a out side manufacture. all of the big builders had there standard colors. they also had there names for them. these were the paints they bought in bulk and offered in the base price. special orders were done at a extra price. I have never found a paint code on a S&S the Wayne people put them on all there cars and superior did some but so far none of the rest have been found. you can't go wrong with color choice unless it newer then your car. finding the original color if the car has been repainted is a lot of guess work

Since you know the original owner of the Victoria you might try calling the funeral home and asking what color it was. It may be a long shot or you could find an employee/owner who was there when it was purchased. We funeral directors seem to take photos of our cars like they were kids. You might luck out and get some real interesting insight to your coach. Maybe even a photo or bill of sale.

Plus in some towns each funeral home had a color. Here in Knoxville our hearse color was Blue. Everyone knew if you saw a blue hearse or ambulance it was from Berry Funeral Home.

I would love it if someone called me and said hey I have your 61 Superior Crown Soverign, 1967 Superior , 1974 S & S 3-way, or your 1978 S & S Victoria. (Hint Hint). I assume asking for one of the Packards to come home is out of the question.

If that did happen I have a lot of original paperwork I could give them a copy of and if they did not want it anymore I could take it off their hands...:D

Jeff

Color

Plus in some towns each funeral home had a color. Here in Knoxville our hearse color was Blue. Everyone knew if you saw a blue hearse or ambulance it was from Berry Funeral Home.

The color of my 61 is I belive still in use at the same Funeral Home.

Attachments

• DSC02508.jpg
    DSC02508.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC01495.jpg
    DSC01495.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC02249.jpg
    DSC02249.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 105
Here are cowl plates from two 1972 Cadillacs for data reference. These plates are located on the cowl next to the hood hinge on the passenger side of the car.

Photo 1 is of the cowl plate on my 1972 M-M Lifeliner along with a GM Cadillac data plate removed from a 72 Cadillac DeVille that I parted out and crushed this past summer. Note more data on the plate from the DeVille than on the Lifeliner which is a commercial chassis car.

Photo 2 is if the DeVille plate (bottom plate) and a plate removed from one of my 73 M-M parts cars (top) that I dismantled for parts. Note the size difference between the two plates. The DeVille was painted Cognac (brown) with a tan vinyl top. All three cars were produced at Cadillacs Clark Ave plant in Detroit.

Both 72's were bought new and owned by the Nave family too.

Attachments

• image-1256920685.jpg
    image-1256920685.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 99
  • image-134732606.jpg
    image-134732606.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 95
Back