double action fuel pump

rebuilding a pump

If you can track down a kit for the pump it is not that hard to rebuild it. Most times now days everyone just replaces a part. When you say rebuild you may as well be talking another language. Check with Kanter brothers if your local shop cannot get a kit. Kanters advertise in Hemmings Motor News every month. Go to:
www.kanter.com
76 Monroe Street
Boonton, NJ 07005
Hope this helps.
Mike

Kanters just acts as a middle man and sources the parts after you order and pay for them. When I was working on my 1963 Chrysler, they claimed that they could supply me with brake drums. After waiting a month, they still hadn't called back, even though I had called at least twice a week wondering where the drums were. In the end, they admitted that they couldn't find them. Now, when I need a part, I start by looking in Hemmings for vendors, and eliminate the middle man.
Ed, let me know the application, and I will look for you when I go to the swap meets this week and next week at Carlisle.

it's out of a 55 Buick century. with a v-8 there is a man selling a kit on e-bay for 57 bucks and shipping. another with a rebuilt pump that may be too old at 20 bucks. this car has the vacuum wipers. so what year was the first for all electric wipers? they were a option in 55 I know. standard in 57 or 56? not a whole lot to rebuilding one, but not my cup of tea to do on someone else's car. but when he gets it running I get to paint the roof. now that I like to do.

Century pump

You got my attention now. A 55 Buick Century. I don't know when Buick went to standard electric wipers. If you get a kit lay all the parts out on a clean table or bench. Some will be small so make sure you have plenty of light and they don't blow, roll or somehow get off the table. Then as you take the old pump apart match the parts. You could even put them on paper and number them. The kit may have a parts list. If it does check the kit against the list. Good luck.
Mike

Back