Sherley Store - Anna, TX

In 1872, brothers Andrew and Fred Sherley opened a Hardware store in the newly established town of Anna in Collin County, TX. In 1894, they built a building that still stands today and was Collin County's first brick building. In its lifetime, the building, always under ownership of the Sherley family, served many functions. While primarily a hardware store, the "A. Sherley & Bro. Hardware Store," as it's known, also served as a furniture store, undertaker's parlor, and general store. It closed its doors to the public in 1979.

Shortly before the turn of the 21st century, and over 100 years after the store was first opened, current owners Jan Sherley Miller and her husband Virgil decided it was time to do something with the old two-story building and the hundred year’s worth of treasures, inventory, and “stuff” sitting inside. In the effort to preserve the history, the building and its contents were turned into a museum. In an interview Mrs. Miller explained, "We’re going to hang on to everything we can for as long as we can so people will have something to see."

Around that time, in 1999, the state of Texas also honored the special building by making it an official historic landmark. Today, and by appointment only, those passing through Anna can stop in and immerse themselves in TX history and Americana going back as far as the state’s roots themselves.

Click here for more photos

4831681424_4dd13cd6d7_b.jpg

Fantastic post Adam !

I love old buildings and small town history.

Incredible hearses too.

Has anyone ever posted anything on the PCS website or in the magazine about this before ?

I think they should remove the tree out front and plant a new one !
Somethings just need to be updated.

Darren

Cery interesting and, thanks to Adam, I've had my major laugh of the day. There are people that don't really know what they have and the "steam-powered" hearse pictured in this place's garage proves this point once again. This is not a steam-powered hearse. I'd bet pretty heavy money on it. What this is is a circa 1920 S&S Westminster 12-column carved panel funeral car. Note the 12-columns and distinctive two-tone carvings, particularly the details - all of which match those of an S&S. And then of course there's the round S&S nameplate on the radiator shell - something of a "dead" giveaway to this vehicle's identity. Wow, would this ever be a treasure restored and running. Couldn't you just iagine it on the showfield at the next PCS International Meet? Spectacular...yes. Rare....yes. Steam-powered....no way. Thanks, Adam, for the discovery, posting and the laugh.

What this is is a circa 1920 S&S Westminster 12-column carved panel funeral car. Note the 12-columns and distinctive two-tone carvings, particularly the details - all of which match those of an S&S.
Thanks for posting. I just learned this too, and was going to post that. One other thought from a guru I showed this to is that it may be an S&S "Masterpiece". I'd say more, but I'm completely out of my knowledge realm here :)

Steam-powered....no way. Thanks, Adam, for the discovery, posting and the laugh.
Glad to share! You know it's a slow day at work if I have enough time to write, although short, any article. And the funny part about why I even came across the photos is that I was doing some online research into actual steam powered hearses. No idea why whoever took these pictures thinks it's steam powered, but thankfully they did, otherwise I wouldn't have stumbled upon the photos...

Last edited:
Wow, would this ever be a treasure restored and running. Couldn't you just imagine it on the showfield at the next PCS International Meet?

Yes and yes, but I doubt that will ever happen. I was too excited to leave it at this, so I dug around a bit more, found a number, and just had a short conversation with the owner. Very nice elderly man who was excited to talk about the place and invite me to see it, should I "ever be in the area" (he laughed when I told him I was in Atlanta). To answer the question I'm sure a lot of you are wondering, no, it's not for sale.

It sounds like the museum was created as something of simple preservation; a legacy of the Sherley family and the role they played in pioneering and founding a small part of a state that had just received its statehood. As a person who passionately loves not just these cars, but the stories and histories that surround them, I sincerely thanked him and let him know how much it meant to more people than he probably realizes.
:smileflag:

Cary never seams to fail us with his incredible knowledge and photo archive !

A great guy the club has as a member.

Thanks bro !
Darren

:respect::thumb::applause:

Adam

Sounds like you should write a short article on this FIND so it will be in the PCS magazine in print so it doesn't just disappear in old threads on this site.

Plus... the many members who don't use this site will be amazed as we are.

:thumbsup:
Darren

Back