1970 Cadillac Superior Rescuer

Mike Owens

PCS Member
Have learned that my gas gauge does not work. Any ideas as to repair or replacement. Anyone know how big this 1970 gas tank would be???

Gas gauge repair not too bad the run from the tank is a long one for the wire. Chances are 7 out of 10 the wire has broken. Is the gauge stuck on full or does it not move? Meantime till you get it fixed my rule is fill the rig with gas set trip meter to zero when you have gone 175 miles fill again you won't get stuck.

thats about it. first set of checks is in the back. if it reads empty it may have cut threw the power wire were it clipped to the frame grounding it out before it gets to the sending unit. if it reads full it may be broken in two, normally were it jumps from the frame to the tank. there is a connector there to that corrodes or falls apart. the gage is standard 70 cadillac so any caddy instrument cluster will supply one or the aftermarket people can. the tank is the standard tank off a 58 caddy as is the sending unit. they used the same unit in 57. it is rare that the gage goes out. if the rear wiring is good check fuse in the GM fuse block center dash just over the hump as I recall that modal.

but in reality 9 times out of 10 it's the sending unit. not the gage

Fuel Gauge

The gauge shows half full (or half empty for my pessimistic friends) and the needle moves up and down when driving...needle never compensated when we filled tank up last, it remained in same position...

If the wiring checks out to be good, then consider one of the gas tank sending unit repair companies that are listed in the Recommended Vendor Forum.

I have used them a few times. they do a good job. but they are now reproducing this sending unit in Stainless steel at about 3/4 the price of the last one I had rebuilt

Back