Parkland ER

wondering?

Would there be any type of plaque,etc explaining the historical significance of this historic site,a place we will never forget,but for future generations.

The passing of time. I too look long faced when I drive past the old ER at our abandoned community hospital. I was born in their remember will navigate that dog leg as we backed in from the street. Seen a lot of personal stuff happen in there. How does one of the nations finest Hospitals for the treatment of polio go down to this. Hopefully we were able to offer some help while we worked out of there as a volunteer. One could gut the place and rebuild it inside fare cheaper than building new but the problem of where to put the business while your doing that always comes up.

So true Ed, people pay big money to travel to Europe to see the historic buildings hundreds of years old,yet at home they say we have no heritage,well quit bulldozing em and repurpose them.in Woodstock they closed our old jail,it has been repurposed and restored as the Oxford County board of health,but what a fight,we also have bulldozeritis. if there is a use for it save it.

I have read somewhere that the original Parkland Memorial Hospital building may actually be razed.

There is currently a small plaque where the former Trauma Room 1 was located, which is where JFK was pronounced dead on 11/22/1063. The former trauma suite is no longer a part of the ER though, I believe it's now an x-ray waiting area.

All of the contents and equipment of Trauma Room 1, as it existed in 1963 down to the wall tiles and flooring and all equipment and supplies have been preserved and I believe are in storage somewhere.

I sure hope they don't raze the old hospital because of its historical significance!

Last edited:
Here is the wall plaque which is located where the former Trauma room 1 was, apparently it's now a part of the Radiology department.

picture.php

The passing of time. I too look long faced when I drive past the old ER at our abandoned community hospital. I was born in their remember will navigate that dog leg as we backed in from the street. Seen a lot of personal stuff happen in there. How does one of the nations finest Hospitals for the treatment of polio go down to this. Hopefully we were able to offer some help while we worked out of there as a volunteer. One could gut the place and rebuild it inside fare cheaper than building new but the problem of where to put the business while your doing that always comes up.
I felt the same way every time I would pass our abandoned hospital. Finally they razed it but they cannot raze my memories of all the good times and the crazy times there. I wish I could travel back in time, I would vacation there every year.

I began reading a book about Trauma Room 1 last week, so far so good. If LHO killed JFK I'm a jet pilot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1605209279...7b6bd4eb92953aa1e8ad8_1941_402_950854567_6848

Thanks Rocky, I recently purchased and read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/At-Door-Memory-Assassination-President-ebook/dp/B004Q9TM6Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440876770&sr=8-2&keywords=at+the+door+of+memory"]"At The Door Of Memory, A Witness To History and the Assassination of President Kennedy"[/ame] (Kindle Edition) by Aubrey Rike, who was an ambulance driver for the O'Neal Funeral Home in Dallas. Aubrey happened to be at Parkland after an ambulance call for a seizure victim when the JFK motorcade arrived with a mortally wounded JFK. Very good read, and it goes into detail of what it was like working as an ambulance driver in Dallas during those times (pre EMT days).

Apparently you can loan kindle books to people for free through Amazon, so if anyone is interested in reading it, PM me and I'll be happy to loan it to you.

Parkland/Dr Duke

All,

Dr. James "Red" Duke died this week in Houston! He was an Intern doing his Surgery Internship at Parkland Hospital on November 22, 1963!

I have had the fortune of being treated by Dr Red Dude twice, when I was injured on duty with Houston Fire Department! It was very reassuring to see Dr "Red" Duke standing on the Herman Hospital E.R. ramp when the back doors of the ambulance were opened, and stepping inside to asses me and lead the stretcher into the Shock Room! He delivered "State of the Art" Emergency Care mixed with his Deep-Rooted Texas - "Twang" and Folksy Mannerisms! He always wore faded bluejeans and worn-out cowboy boots that (Possibly was last worn in the barn!) I have witnessed Dr. Duke dress down new Interns several times because they disregarded the information the Houston Fire Paramedics (As the New Interns "Knew More Than The Paramedics"!) Dr. Duke would set the record straight-and tell the Interns to listen to the Paramedics, as they have more practical Emergency knowledge than the Interns!

I walked the halls of Hermann Hospital and visited with Dr. Duke several times, one time, he told me about Parkland E.R. and the Kennedy Assassination: Dr. Duke said he was summoned to the E.R. "Stat" and entered Trauma Room One to see so many Medical Personnel, Cops, Secret Service Agents, he could hardly get to the Patient! Several other Doctors were there already! He saw Kennedy on the table, with his grievous injury, and saw Jackie nearby! His first thought was "They are working on a dead man!" and turned to leave the Shock room, as he entered the hallway, A Nurse grabbed him, and asked him to help her in another Shock room. Dr. Duke entered to see Governor Connolly by himself with the "Fist-Sized" Chest Wound (The Nurse was trying by herself to save him!) They put in a chest tube and saved him, and sent him to the O.R.!

My indirect contact with "Nov 22, 1963" and "Camelot" occurred in early June, 1993, I received a desperate phone call while working in the Medical Telemetry Communications at Ben Taub Hospital. The women on the phone told me "This is Nelly Connolly! John is having trouble breathing, and refusing to go to the Hospital with the ambulance (HFD #1103) Please call Dr. Pepe (HFD Medical Director) for me, and have him call me! Approximately 30 minutes later, I handled the medical communications as Gov. John Connolly was transported to the Hospital! He died about a week later! Listed as his cause of Death "Homicide-Gunshot Wound causing Pulmonary Fibrosis to lung tissue!" 30 years after the fact!

Dr. Duke formed the "Level 1" Trauma Center at Hermann Hospital, coordinated a Trauma hospital network for Texas, and also put together The first Hospital based Helicopter Air Ambulance "Hermann Life Flight" Pretty good for an Ordained Minister and Former Army Tank Commander!

God Bless You, Dr. James "Red" Duke! Your contribution to Emergency care will never be forgotten!

Robert L. Koryciak
PCS Houston 2015

All,

Dr. James "Red" Duke died this week in Houston! He was an Intern doing his Surgery Internship at Parkland Hospital on November 22, 1963!

I have had the fortune of being treated by Dr Red Dude twice, when I was injured on duty with Houston Fire Department! It was very reassuring to see Dr "Red" Duke standing on the Herman Hospital E.R. ramp when the back doors of the ambulance were opened, and stepping inside to asses me and lead the stretcher into the Shock Room! He delivered "State of the Art" Emergency Care mixed with his Deep-Rooted Texas - "Twang" and Folksy Mannerisms! He always wore faded bluejeans and worn-out cowboy boots that (Possibly was last worn in the barn!) I have witnessed Dr. Duke dress down new Interns several times because they disregarded the information the Houston Fire Paramedics (As the New Interns "Knew More Than The Paramedics"!) Dr. Duke would set the record straight-and tell the Interns to listen to the Paramedics, as they have more practical Emergency knowledge than the Interns!

I walked the halls of Hermann Hospital and visited with Dr. Duke several times, one time, he told me about Parkland E.R. and the Kennedy Assassination: Dr. Duke said he was summoned to the E.R. "Stat" and entered Trauma Room One to see so many Medical Personnel, Cops, Secret Service Agents, he could hardly get to the Patient! Several other Doctors were there already! He saw Kennedy on the table, with his grievous injury, and saw Jackie nearby! His first thought was "They are working on a dead man!" and turned to leave the Shock room, as he entered the hallway, A Nurse grabbed him, and asked him to help her in another Shock room. Dr. Duke entered to see Governor Connolly by himself with the "Fist-Sized" Chest Wound (The Nurse was trying by herself to save him!) They put in a chest tube and saved him, and sent him to the O.R.!

My indirect contact with "Nov 22, 1963" and "Camelot" occurred in early June, 1993, I received a desperate phone call while working in the Medical Telemetry Communications at Ben Taub Hospital. The women on the phone told me "This is Nelly Connolly! John is having trouble breathing, and refusing to go to the Hospital with the ambulance (HFD #1103) Please call Dr. Pepe (HFD Medical Director) for me, and have him call me! Approximately 30 minutes later, I handled the medical communications as Gov. John Connolly was transported to the Hospital! He died about a week later! Listed as his cause of Death "Homicide-Gunshot Wound causing Pulmonary Fibrosis to lung tissue!" 30 years after the fact!

Dr. Duke formed the "Level 1" Trauma Center at Hermann Hospital, coordinated a Trauma hospital network for Texas, and also put together The first Hospital based Helicopter Air Ambulance "Hermann Life Flight" Pretty good for an Ordained Minister and Former Army Tank Commander!

God Bless You, Dr. James "Red" Duke! Your contribution to Emergency care will never be forgotten!

Robert L. Koryciak
PCS Houston 2015

I'm curious if you ever asked him if he thought the gaping gunshot wound to JFK's head was an entrance wound, or an exit wound! Of course the Warren Commission concluded that it was most definitely an entrance wound, and the exit wound was apparently the throat injury, through which the Parkland doctors created a tracheostomy -- as they could not have any shots from the front of the motorcade for that would then prove that at least one shooter was in front of the motorcade, and thus Lee Harvey Oswald couldn't then be the (only) shooter!

Parkland /Dr. Duke

I do recall asking Dr Duke about the wounds to the Presidents head, as I remember, he said he didn't stay in the Trauma room long enough to make a detailed assessment, other than JFK was missing a large portion of his cranium, and the crush of people in the shock room made it impossible for him to do anything productive! He was then summoned to help Gov. Connolly. Dr. Duke did still believe at the time I talked to him that Oswald was the lone assassin! That there was not enough (Non-Ambiguous) evidence to be conclusive!

*I found out tonight doing research that Dr. Red Duke also helped attend to Lee Harvey Oswald when he was brought to Parkland after Jack Ruby shot him!

Ref: (Per Interview with NPR Radio) Kennedy Head Wounds- Dr. Robert Grossman who was the Neurosurgeon who was the primary Dr. for Kennedy saw two GSW wounds to Kennedy's Cranium, But NONE of the Doctors at Parkland were called to testify before the Warren Commission!

In March 2015, I was in a USCG Auxiliary Aviation Training event in Chesterfield Missouri. One of the Auxiliary Aviators was a retired Fighter Pilot, Marine Lt. Col. George Burkley who was a young Marine stationed in Japan (and who had been to the White House) before Kennedy was killed. What was significant was that the Marine's father was a Navy Rear Admiral George Burkley and JFK's personal physician, and signed the Autopsy! The Col. told me, his father REFUSED to discuss anything about Dallas or the Autopsy!

Robert L. Koryciak

Houston PCS 2015 Coordinator

some facts will never surface. needless to say as with any thing the federal government has taken control of, it's botched by too many cooks in the kitchen with there own agenda.

but we know he is dead, Lee Harvey is dead, Jack Ruby is dead and LBJ finished out his term.

the list of people now dead under strange circumstances that touched anyone of them that day is vary long also.

so now the Hospital is gone and my guess the bronze plack is melted into scrap.

Our mission,

Seems that between the JFK assassination and the martians at roswell people are consumed with theories, and there is nothing wrong with that,however our mission as I see it is to monitor all things relating to the JFK saga as it applies to cars of that event and may I say I am proud of the work you folks have done to "keep em honest":applause:

Parkland ER / Dr Duke

I watched the movie "Parkland" a while back! It was a excellent historical drama about the JFK assassination, it really accurately portrayed what happened in Parkland that day! The only disappointment about the movie, was the total concentration on JFK and Dr. Grossman/others at JFK's side, at the expense of what happened in Trauma Room # 2 with Gov. John Connolly and Dr. Red Duke! This was completely ignored!

Another Tidbit about my distant local connections to History. While attending Sam Houston State University Alumni events with my wife Stella, we went with friends to the Rice Hotel (Now Rice Lofts) in Houston Nov 2013 to eat dinner with Alumni. One of our good friends in the group, Rae Nash, was somewhat taken aback when we entered the lobby. It seems as a young college student, on Nov 21 1963, She sneaked into the Rice Hotel with a Friend who was a Houston Chronicle Reporter who used an extra "Press Pass" to ID her as "Press". She was completely blown away, crying - "I haven't been back in this building in 50 years! I was in this Lobby when JFK and Jackie came out of that elevator, and listened as they greeted the boisterous crowd for several minutes, before going to the Ballroom!" (Now underground parking) The lobby was unchanged, according to Rae! She was very impressed by JFK And especially worshiped Jackie as most young women of the day! If you know your history, that night, after the LULAC Dinner address, JFK and Jackie departed via Air Force One to Fort Worth, and Dallas the next morning and you know the rest!
In the fall of 2014, I had just found a book called "Five Days in November!" written by SS Agent Clint Hill (Jackie's Secret Service Agent (The one jumping onto the rear deck of the Presidential Limousine that day!) This was his ONLY public revelation about the events of 1963. I had told Rae I read a book about it, and promised to give it to her. I signed it to "Rae" for her witnessing "Camelot" and included the classic line from the Play! I was finally able to catch up with her at a Sam Houston Home Football Game, and presented it to her! By Chance- The date was November 22, 2014- 51 years after the event!-

RLK

Back