'56 Superior Cadillac Ambulance

I bought my Superior Rescuer (the red one pictured) for 5K 2 years ago....so this priced quite reasonably, depending on the state of the engine.....

'56 Super Rescuer Has Been Rescued!

Finally got around to picking up the '56 Super Rescuer today. Weather was drizzly, but 45ish degrees. Incredible for January in Iowa/Nebraska! Some people rescue dogs in abusive environments. I rescue coaches from abusive environments!

Attachments

• '56 Super Rescuer 2.jpg
    '56 Super Rescuer 2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 371
  • '56 Super Rescuer 1.jpg
    '56 Super Rescuer 1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 366
The toughest thing to find is going to be the 2 rear S&M oval tunnel light lenses that are broke/missing. Fortunately all 4 of the tunnel light retainer rings are still there and the 2 front lenses are perfect.

Did any other manufacturers make these same oval tunnel light lenses? One of the 2 front lenses is clearly identified as S&M with their California address, but the other front lense has no markings of any kind.

They are not that difficult to find, just difficult to pay for. Like anything else that was mass produced, and then winds up in short suppy, the cost of the remaining goods is expensive. Just consider what a lens for a Miller Meteor Ful-Vue light costs, and you will quickly understand the relationship of demand and supply.

The toughest thing to find is going to be the 2 rear S&M oval tunnel light lenses that are broke/missing.

Did any other manufacturers make these same oval tunnel light lenses?

Keep an eye out for older Superior school busses. I'm pretty sure these are the oval lenses they used until at least the mid-1960s. Surely there's a set in a junkyard somewhere.

To my knowledge no one else made these lenses but S&M.

Attachments

• Superior bus 1.jpg
    Superior bus 1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 499
Thanks for the Superior bus tip guys! I was not aware of that. I know of several yards with dozens of old buses. I will let you know if I have any success.

Superior/S&M Lenses

I've checked quite a few '60's Superior buses (as late as about '69) with oval lenses. The lenses are plastic and say "Superior" on them.

The plastic ovals are hard to find in CA, as they weren't used here on school buses, but I did see some on a church bus years ago. The last pair I looked at were in 2001 in a junk yard in Nevada.

I'm not sure if S&M made them in plastic, but they did make a few plastic items in the '60's, mainly "watermelon" clearance lights for trucks in a variety of colors, some amber brake lights, and various small lenses.

The mid-'50's glass lights are definately S&M. Many Southern CA ambulances and rescues had a red Oval Light in the center over the back door.

I'm not sure when the switch to plastic or away from S&M occurred. Maybe Kevin O or Mike McD can chime in with help.

Carlstadt Ambulance while still in service.

Thanks to Fred Goerlitz for his help in obtaining this photo of my '56 while still in service!!

Attachments

• 56SuperiorCarlstadtNJ.jpg
    56SuperiorCarlstadtNJ.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 494
I've checked quite a few '60's Superior buses (as late as about '69) with oval lenses. The lenses are plastic and say "Superior" on them.

The plastic ovals are hard to find in CA, as they weren't used here on school buses, but I did see some on a church bus years ago. The last pair I looked at were in 2001 in a junk yard in Nevada.

I'm not sure if S&M made them in plastic, but they did make a few plastic items in the '60's, mainly "watermelon" clearance lights for trucks in a variety of colors, some amber brake lights, and various small lenses.

The mid-'50's glass lights are definately S&M. Many Southern CA ambulances and rescues had a red Oval Light in the center over the back door.

I'm not sure when the switch to plastic or away from S&M occurred. Maybe Kevin O or Mike McD can chime in with help.
To my knowledge... All OEM S&M's were glass. Prior to 1956, the CDF (California Division of Forestry) had them center roof-windshield mounted (FLASHING) on all their entire fleet of 80+ Fire Engines including our restored 1949 REO Speedwagon. Circa 1956 when CA's Steady Red Light Law went in to effect they removed and replaced them with two new forward facing red lights, one steady and one flashing. According to some Retired CDF "old timers" they threw all the S&M's in to dumpster! Like Tom said, S&M's were used a lot on Ambulancs here in So-Cal, center mounted (flashing red) just over the rear door as is the case of our former Fallbrook FD 1954 Henney-Packard... that belongs to Hewy & Ruth Wick now. MM

This photo also explains why I was unable to find any signs of a prior roof mounted siren between the front tunnels. What would have been a commonly used roof-mounted sirren on a '56 Superior ambulance? I just prefer to look of the siren mounted on the roof. Can anyone guess as to what the beacon in the photo might be?

the in service pictures shows a high skirt 17. they were probity using a behind the grill mechanic siren. this light is made for a pole mount not a roof mount. the flat top to me doesn't look right on a older car. I can't believe that no one today has recast the oval lens in plastic. it would seem to me that there should be a market for them.

This photo also explains why I was unable to find any signs of a prior roof mounted siren between the front tunnels. What would have been a commonly used roof-mounted sirren on a '56 Superior ambulance? I just prefer to look of the siren mounted on the roof. Can anyone guess as to what the beacon in the photo might be?

Kurt: As Ed suggested, a model 17 beacon would be a good period piece, add to that a C6 and it would look great.

Updates On The '56 Super Rescuer

Since my last post, I have purchased a really nice Federal Model 17 beacon. I have also discovered that the difference between a "Rescuer" and a "Super Rescuer" is not in the roof height, but in the rear compartment features. The "Super Rescuer" had the huge mahogany cabinet, a squad bench, and a rear bumper step. No traditional jump seats in a Super Rescuer(Please let me know if there were additional differences). I have also picked up a rear door glass out of the '55 Superior hearse at Desert Valley A/P. The squad bench and a small section of the rear floor will have to be duplicated as I doubt that I will find the squad bench elsewhere. I had no idea that finding an original '56 Cadillac "Batwing" oil bath air cleaner had become so difficult and so expensive. The "rat rod" guys have stripped all of the salvage yards of them in my part of the world. Finally picked one up a week ago at the first swap meet of the season in Lincoln, NE.

Back