rear heater ducting

Working on putting the 63 M&M back together. This is the rear compartment heater in the back of the Duplex. The vent pointing up is the exit for the air going into the rear compartment. There was remnants of a flex duct on the round tube on the heater box.

The grill in the foot well has a lever. It is not connected to anything. What does the lever control, and how is the ductwork connected?

Attachments

• DSCN1160_556.jpg
    DSCN1160_556.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN1161_555.jpg
    DSCN1161_555.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN1162_554.jpg
    DSCN1162_554.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 185
now from my experience. they used a lot of stuff from different sources. it would look to me like the leaver was never connected to anything. they may not have been any duct work. if there was not, there would be a opening for air in and air out. a hot and cold side of the heater. most of these have the air out agents the grill and they suck air from the back threw a different hole. if your remote from the grill the hose must have gone to a plenum behind the grill and the leaver shut that air flow off. over the years this rear heat system may have been altered by any number of people. if you want I can send you a pictures or two of what is in the 63 superior but it's way different they anything your showing. my 68 MM and the 72 cb had there rear heat exit in the foot well. in re looking over the pictures that has to be a tube for the cold coming in. but your missing some jacket around the heater. it should draw cold from some were force hot into the weel well and it comes out the grill. run the blowe and you'll figure out the system.

Ran the blower and air comes out the top. The factory sales broshure (?) shows warmed air moving up from the heater, into the rear compartment along ductwork, located on the left side of the rear compartment.

if air comes in to the grate pictured and exists threw the duct. it's still missing the sides on the top. got to be one more vent that the 4 inch duct hooked to up front. basically a recirculating heater. draws cold air from the cab on one side puts hot air out on the other. the two can't mix at the heater. some were in that wheel well is a vent or grate with a end that the hose would go on. or it's drawing air from some were else other then the wheel well. the hot air would then move out of that grate you pictured as the presser builts up in the wheel well. but there has to be a divider between the cold and the hot to get movment. were is it drawing air from? now that we know were it is comming out of. were is it going in at. just because it looks incomplet dosn't meen it woun't work. her eis the set up on the 73 S&S draws air in from the front of the wheel well, then threw the heater out into the back.

Attachments

• IMG_104.jpg
    IMG_104.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_105.jpg
    IMG_105.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 156
its time

It is time for Chief Ron to get into this discussion. He has the sister car to your's. Jim Tighe's old M-M. His heating is most likely the same. My 61 M-M is nothing like your's. If Ron does not jump in here write him a note. Tell him you need pictures.
Mike

here is how I see it working. there must be a grill for the cold some place

Attachments

• DSCN1160_556.jpg
    DSCN1160_556.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 143
Where you show "cold in", is where warm air blows out to the upper vent. I have a sales broshure that shows warm air comming out the top vent. The upper vent is hooked up correctly, as when the floor was removed, the ducting was taken out also.

them I'm reversed and your missing the rubber around that hot air vent. duct tape will do it if you can't get a piece of rubber that big. it will draw air in that vent grill you pictured and the leaver was never hooked to anything. the water hoses still hook up, return the big one the smaller one is hot. cold air goes into the center of the fan from the wheel well, threw the core, out the bottom and up the vent to were?? what's on the other side of that duct work? the round tube would be used for cold if needed but with out the side on the box it's not.

duct work

Russ,
If you need an air duct of some kind maybe a dryer hose would work. No one is ever going to see it. It can be cut down to the proper size and clamped in place. I still think Ron can be of help here. We just have to prod him a bit.
Mike

Back