Superior roof light lens

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Today, while looking at some eBay auctions, I found the following information. The glass lens ("GUIDE R1-56" )that is used on the Superior roof light is GM part number 5947161 (1955 Chevrolet Passenger Car) ...... someone might need this information in the future. Paul

superior light.jpg

I think this is a '56 Olds taillight...corrections welcome.

The Olds lenses are very similiar in shape and size. The one thing that I have found is that the Oldsmobile lenses have a brass insert where the retaining screws go through it, and that they are usually at an angle toward the center.

I think we figured that out in another thread, but I can't find it now. I don't think we had a part number though.

Or was that for the lights on your 62 C/B Paul?

The bullet lens on the front of my 1962 C/B is the same Chevrolet part... or at least that is what I remember. I also thought it was a Oldsmobile part, but I had go to the original post to check and verify this. The part on this light is a 1956 Chevrolet NOS tail lamp lenses. GM part # 5947161 and it fits all models of 1956 Chevrolet passenger cars, including Bel-Air, 150, 210, station wagon, Nomad models, left or right side are the same.

would the front bullet be a 59 caddy light then?

This is the same bullet light lens as Superior also used on the other ambulances. In real life, it is similar in shape to the 1959 Cadillac taillight lens, but it is much larger. Only wish that I had a 1959 Cadillac lens to take a picture of side by side with the Superior lens. I would estimate that the Superior lens is 50% larger than the Cadillac lens.

Paul-

I happen to have both of these lights somewhere in my garage. I’ll make an attempt to dig them up and take some comparison photos. This might take a few weeks as the IRS deadline is occupying all my free time.

Keep up the good work.

Joe

having had a set of these in my hand I would agree they are the same shape as the 59 caddy but about twice as big. so superior used this same bullet across both lines of the cars they built? whether flush mounted or the add on light. it would stand to reason. a lot cheaper that way and you get the brand regeneration. the use of the Chevy lens had to be one of size and availability. as we see it on a number of cars. kind of like the 53 assembly with the back up replaced with a red lens as the side marker on the roof of a lot of them.

Back