Fan Belt Help Needed

Anyone know a good place to get fan belts? Local auto parts stores are, of course, clueless.

I need new ones for the '70 MM Cadillac. There are a pair, and they run the fan and the alternator. So with no juice, I'm not going anywhere soon.

They are 5/16" wide x 49" long. At the auto parts store, they used a measuring device and came up with the numbers 11 & 615, not sure what that means (and neither was the guy who worked there, other than to say they don't have it and can't order it). They could be a little longer, I do have some adjustment room on the pulley.

Suggestions appreciated.

on the 68 and 69 the pair run the AC compressor and power steering. the alternator is a single belt then fan and smog pump are another one.

the gates numbers for the double belts on the 68-9 are a 7590. I can come up with the others if you need them

My 69 uses a double belt on the P/S pump and single belt on the smog pump and water pump and alternator. I searched a while looking for the old "matched pair" of belts to no avail. NAPA did get me all the right belts though. I agree that NAPA should be able to get you taken care of.

Today, the parts "books" (computer) show belt numbers that are close to the originals and will work, however, they are not the same sizes. I ordered belts for my 1969 by using the original GM belt numbers and the exact size as printed in the GM parts book. The local Carquest dealer used this information to get the correct belt part numbers. I will look up the information and get it converted again. Paul

if you look the book says the fan and alternator is one belt the ac /ps is two. so it's your car and I know you looked at it. it could be the difference in CC or ambulance verse hearse. early verse late 70. there are no absolutes in car parts. but the man in the parts house that could not read his belt gage is what your ran up against.

Well, based on the info from Dan's page from the parts book, I went ahead and ordered two #7508 (1970, fan and alt. w/AC) fan belts on e-bay. They came yesterday.

Not even close. Too wide and far too short.

Can anyone else help me find what I need?

according the to book that is the single belt that goes over the fan and alt. post a pictures of what you have for a set up and we'll get the numbers you need

Last edited:
belts

Steve,
I will check our old parts store here. We also have a very understanding and sympathetic NAPA counter guy here too. Of course we have all the name chains too. I do get lucky at O'Reilly's every now and then. We can take my Gates belt gage to Hershey and look too.
You have to watch that 'little adjustment' too. A little bit can make a big difference when you are dealing with the belts.
Mike

Success

OK, I managed to find our NAPA store (see below), and they were able to match the belts. It's # 7612. They fit properly, they are on the car now, the alternator is....alternating...and all is well. A rare example of me doing my own repair on a car and it turning out ok (so far).

Of course, they were $22. Each!

Now I'll be able to get the Caddy to the Capitol Cadillac CLC show, highlighting professional cars, in October! Thanks all. :D

(The NAPA store used to be in a shopping center. They moved out several years ago, and Advance Auto Parts moved into that space, which is where I went earlier without success. I went by where the NAPA moved to but they weren't there. I assumed they closed, so I looked on line for another NAPA store. Turns out they moved into a new warehouse in a part of town nobody drives by. They have no signs facing the street, the staff was not customer-friendly, but they had the correct belts so whateverrr. My other project for yesterday, after completing the belt situation, was to get my lawnmower in for service. The lawnmower service place moved recently, and I had to find out where they went. They are now in the space vacated by NAPA when they moved! :stars: )

your belts

Steve,
Glad you found your belts. What I found here was a Gates 7512 that is 13/16 wide and 50 5/16 inches long. While not your exact measurements you might want to mark that number down on the wall in the garage for future reference.
Mike

Mike, that would be way too wide. Mine's only 5/16 wide, the one you listed is 13/16, it ain't gonna fit. 5/16 was tight.

The 7612 is the right one.

Back