Carryall ambulance photos

Seems like it was a Yankee Coach, a 1974 model. I drove it a lot during my rescue squad years from 1990-1996. Was out in the snow in it once and it was horrible in the snow...
The rescue squad sold it about 3-4 years ago, it first went to a squad member, then he sold it to an individual. Haven't seen it around in awhile...

Seems like it was a Yankee Coach, a 1974 model. I drove it a lot during my rescue squad years from 1990-1996. Was out in the snow in it once and it was horrible in the snow...
The rescue squad sold it about 3-4 years ago, it first went to a squad member, then he sold it to an individual. Haven't seen it around in awhile...

Yankee it is; '75-'76-ish.

the grill went flat in 75 and the single round headlights were on till the early 80s I guessing. it's a 75 to. some difference in the grill was all there was for the first 10 years then the nose changed. and the square lights started to appear. as to who converted it I'll let someone else take a crack at that.

Woodbine, NJ
1967 S/I Interne

Lanoka Harbor, NJ
1964 S/I Deluxe

Riverside, NJ
1963 Christopher/Chevrolet

Hamilton, NJ
1949 ?/Chevrolet

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Woodbine 67 Interne.jpg
    Woodbine 67 Interne.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,650
  • Lanoka Harbor 64 Deluxe.jpg
    Lanoka Harbor 64 Deluxe.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,405
  • Riverside NJ 63 Christopher.jpg
    Riverside NJ 63 Christopher.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,414
  • Hamilton 49 Chevy.jpg
    Hamilton 49 Chevy.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,398
  • Hamilton 49 Chevy interior.jpg
    Hamilton 49 Chevy interior.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,421
Chevy?

Chevy and GMC made 1-Ton Panels in that era (including the extra SS Trim on the Fenders.... so it could have been modified for ambulance service "in-house"? (*) Wish they would have straightened up and tightened the low-band antenna base before the picture! MM

May be completely unrelated, I'm not a "car person", don't judge plz. ha ha

This is sitting at a local garage that replaced my brakes. Dunno what it is, make, model, year, use, etc.. I suppose if someone wanted to talk them into selling it, I could provide the info, with the agreement that they didn't say how they got the info. On a side note, it belongs to an auto transport company, they do new, used and antique transports from (here) to places down south.

blue.jpg

Here are some photos of a typical carryall lowtop conversion. This one, a '71 or '72 by the A.G. Solar Co. in Dallas, was one of several hightop and lowtop Suburbans operated by the Sparkman-Hillcrest F.H. in Dallas. They had the contract for the north portion of the city when these pictures were taken. This particular rig had Chevrolet factory front and rear air conditioning; while initially more expensive, it worked better, lasted longer, and was generally more reliable than the aftermarket versions.

The exterior is not so typical with triple four-bulb beacons, dual lollipops, twin speakers, and a Q2B. The standard lowtop conversions by Summers, Gordon K. Allen, Solar, and even Modular Ambulance Corp. incuded four Do-Ray lollipops, a #17 beacon, and the customer's choice of either a Q2B or a PA-15 Director with dual speakers.

(SL collection)

Here's another S-H rig, with a #12 Twinsonic light bar in addition to the triple beacons:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drmo/530834827/

Attachments

• Suburban 1.jpg
    Suburban 1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,310
  • Suburban 2.jpg
    Suburban 2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,286
  • Suburban 3.jpg
    Suburban 3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,362
  • Suburban 4.jpg
    Suburban 4.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,334
"The exterior is not so typical with triple four-bulb beacons, dual lollipops, twin speakers, and a Q2B. Director with dual speakers."

If those two lollipops are actually either a Federal model 18 or 19 then that is the same light set up the very first ambulance I ever drove had on it. It however was a 1974 Plymouth van that had been converted from a "flower car".

Can anyone here tell us what the items are under the front bumper? They look like jumper cable ends...

They are brackets of some sort, I have a pic of it with flags in them. Iowa PCS member Lloyd Ray was the current owner of this rig when he passed away. I do not know what became of it after his passing.
1963 Christopher Chevy.jpg

Thanks to Bill!

Bill Leverett, thanks very much for posting that incredible collection of photos of the CarryAll/Suburban style ambulances here in beautiful british Columbia prior to BCAS. Some were a trip down memory lane for me, but the majority of them I had never seen before.

I think we should declare you to be the official B.C Ambulance Historian of P.C.S. No pay involved, but we might be able to rustle up some flashy business cards! :applause:

BCAS Photos

Thanks Doug...actually it's a team effort with folks such as yourself contributing as well as the "...I remember when..." stories that really help fill in the gaps and provide the context. Those stories make the history come alive. Many of the pro-cars were on their way out or gone when I started in 1979. As for the photos, I managed to get them scanned when Fleet Manager Jim Fissel gave me his box of BCAS government photos for a week. I also have copies of the registrations and disposal documents for most of the photos. There's another medic in BCAS now doing the same but with a much higher resolution scanner. When Jim lent me the box he lamented on how many other photos he kept had gone astray over the years. I wanted to make sure that at least what was left was recorded.

When I picked up the 1962 C/B Chevy in early summer, the truck was still in the garage, and it was covered with dust. I briefly looked at it, but wasn't interested in it very much, so it was just a cursory once over. Lloyd had done a few modifications to the truck I was told, and some were to accommodate something that he had in mind, and others were to make it easier for him to drive. How much was completed at the time of his death I can't say. I had a feeling that it would take some work to complete the truck for driving. At that time, is was not sold, and even though I don't remember the exact asking price, I thought that it was quite high for a truck. I do remember that the original stretcher for the truck that was in the 1962 Chevy stayed, and I got a one man mortuary cot with my car.
As for the flag brackets, I believe that they were just some pipe welded to a piece of flat stock and bolted under the bumper..

(unidentified operator in Florence, AL)
1969/70 Southern/Chevrolet

Waterville Valley, NH
1973/74 ?/Chevrolet 4x4
While the raised roof has the "look" of a Springfield, it is likely a local or dealership conversion.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Southern Suburban.jpg
    Southern Suburban.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 2,007
  • Suburban 4x4.jpg
    Suburban 4x4.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,844
Zepfel F.H. (Reynoldsville, PA)
1975 Suburban

I really like this one; it has "funeral home ambulance" written all over it:

McDonald-Aeberli F.H. (Mars, PA)
1973/74 Suburban

Both of these were probably converted locally or by the funeral homes themselves. By the cut of the beacon skirts, I'm guessing they were taken from older combinations.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Zepfel.jpg
    Zepfel.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,936
  • Suburban.jpg
    Suburban.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,896
Last edited:
National/Suburbans

The National ambulance products were "high end" by the time these rigs were built. Of all the carryall conversions I've seen, they were of the highest quality materials and construction with the best interior finish and layouts. Note the different lighting arrangements in this batch:

Norvelt, PA

Wolcottsville, NY

Shawnee, NY

Tri-Community A.S. (serving Frontier, Bergholz, Pekin, Sanborn and St. Johnsburg fire districts in NY)
1972 (one of twins)

Old Orchard, ME
The roof-mounted rear tunnels on this one indicate it has the optional raised rear doors.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Norvelt PA.jpg
    Norvelt PA.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,852
  • Wolcottsville NY 71 National.jpg
    Wolcottsville NY 71 National.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,869
  • Shawnee NY 69 National.jpg
    Shawnee NY 69 National.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,852
  • Tri Community AS St Johnsburg NY 72.jpg
    Tri Community AS St Johnsburg NY 72.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,877
  • Old orchard ME.jpg
    Old orchard ME.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 3,543
More Nationals that are different...

...in one way or another. National dubbed these as their Pacer series:

Rolling Meadows, IL
1971-ish GMC 3/4-ton chassis; Mars 888 Traffic Breaker, siren speaker on upper roof, two Unity RV-26 and an RV-26 Spitfire beacons (the Spitfire series, available with two or four 5" or 6" bulbs, had a solid-color dome with two clear strips for an enhanced flash effect)

River Grove, IL
1971 with no tunnel lights, Mars Commander siren, side flashers wide apart; RV-26 beacons

West Lake F.D. (Erie, PA; one of a pair)
1969 with Super Chief whistle

Grand Valley, PA
Fairly nondescript 1969

(SL collection)

J&J Ambulance Sales (Markleysburg, PA; rig is ex-Tunnelton, WV)
1973 with dual Power Lights, sealed beam ditch lights; spotlights mounted at top of "A" pillar
(this is the only post-'72 Pacer I've ever photographed)

(SL photo)

Attachments

• Rolling Meadows IL National.jpg
    Rolling Meadows IL National.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,835
  • River Grove IL 71 National.jpg
    River Grove IL 71 National.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,901
  • West Lake 69 National.jpg
    West Lake 69 National.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,805
  • Grand Valley PA 70 National.jpg