1960 Eureka Landau Combination Car

Came *so* close to finding this coach before Ardeen Vaughn beat me to it 6ish years and three owners ago. Served in Victoria, TX.

Word to the wise: As rear loading door glass is not pictured nor installed, assume it is not the correct piece. '60 is one year only and a $2k piece of glass (same as '59). If you're familiar with Dwayne Velasquez's vehicle descriptions, you already understand. Images used are also 5-6 years old.

If you're familiar with Dwayne Velasquez's vehicle descriptions, you already understand. Images used are also 5-6 years old.

In this case even older. We were talking about this coach on another site, and these pictures are from two owners ago, and were taken almost 15 years ago.
I had Dwayne send me some recent pix, and it now has a big dent in passenger quarter, and landau bars are now missing, and he does not have them. Looking at location of newer pix, it looks like it has been sitting outside for a long time.
So based on that, if anyone is interested, I would recommend checking it out in person to gage its true condition.

I came upon this car in the mid 1990's in Columbus, Texas. At the time, it was sitting in a closed up black owned funeral home. It's stable mate was a '55 or '56 Oldsmobile Comet combo. This car was painted red white and blue, for the 1976 festivities, and was actually used in service this way until 1980, when the owner of the funeral home died. At that point, the business was closed, and the building and coaches went into disrepair.

When I first inspected this car, the interior was perfect. The front seat, as well as the dash pad were soft and supple. The rear window was intact, and the rear compartment was nothing short of amazing in it's state of preservation. There was even a mohair bag covering the church truck. The only damage at that time was the lifting of the lead roof seam on the passenger side, above the drivers compartment. Around 1996, neighborhood kids smashed the rear window, and the owners solution, was to tape a plastic bag over the rear window. I will mention that many attempts were made by me to either purchase this coach, or store it in a secure facility, free of charge to the owner.

The owner was a delusional woman, who was saving the car for her 5 year old nephew.. and she saw no harm in a "little moisture" getting into the car from the smashed rear window. She managed to get behind in property taxes, and the car was sold to Ardeen, who promptly flipped the car to someone else. It's sad to see it in it's present state, as it was 100% complete back then. Even the sconces were intact in the rear compartment, and of course the landau bars were intact as well. I have a feeling that this coach has been robbed of some of it's rarer parts for another coach Dwayne Velasquez has.

I came upon this car in the mid 1990's in Columbus, Texas. At the time, it was sitting in a closed up black owned funeral home. It's stable mate was a '55 or '56 Oldsmobile Comet combo. This car was painted red white and blue, for the 1976 festivities, and was actually used in service this way until 1980, when the owner of the funeral home died. At that point, the business was closed, and the building and coaches went into disrepair.

When I first inspected this car, the interior was perfect. The front seat, as well as the dash pad were soft and supple. The rear window was intact, and the rear compartment was nothing short of amazing in it's state of preservation. There was even a mohair bag covering the church truck. The only damage at that time was the lifting of the lead roof seam on the passenger side, above the drivers compartment. Around 1996, neighborhood kids smashed the rear window, and the owners solution, was to tape a plastic bag over the rear window. I will mention that many attempts were made by me to either purchase this coach, or store it in a secure facility, free of charge to the owner.

The owner was a delusional woman, who was saving the car for her 5 year old nephew.. and she saw no harm in a "little moisture" getting into the car from the smashed rear window. She managed to get behind in property taxes, and the car was sold to Ardeen, who promptly flipped the car to someone else. It's sad to see it in it's present state, as it was 100% complete back then. Even the sconces were intact in the rear compartment, and of course the landau bars were intact as well. I have a feeling that this coach has been robbed of some of it's rarer parts for another coach Dwayne Velasquez has.

Nice story. From what I heard Darlene Daniels bought it from Ardeen, and she sold it to Dwayne. The pictures he has posted is when it was at Ardeen's place.

I would love to know that also.

one more story of save what you can before they're all gone this route. it keeps getting passed around because of what it is but each time it changes hands a peace of two off it gets diverted. with only attempts made at bring it back nothing is ever completed. if the rubber is still there a piece of lexan would have solved that glass problem till a more realistic one came along. way to expensive a project now for me to even think about'

but what did happen to that set of comets??? they were just oldsmobiles who cares!!! but which car today is more rare

From what I heard, Ardeen bought both of them from her. I would suggest asking Ardeen, but of course he'd probably want an "information fee" or some such nonsense. If you did pay him, it would undoubtedly be a dead lead. (ask me how I know!) From what I recall, the Comet was black/white and had a mint green interior. It seemed to be in really good shape, just faded paint and moldy interior.. but then again, this was in 1995.

From what I heard, Ardeen bought both of them from her. I would suggest asking Ardeen, but of course he'd probably want an "information fee" or some such nonsense. If you did pay him, it would undoubtedly be a dead lead. (ask me how I know!) From what I recall, the Comet was black/white and had a mint green interior. It seemed to be in really good shape, just faded paint and moldy interior.. but then again, this was in 1995.

I will contact Darlene to see what she says.

Back