Answers and opinions please

it's kind of hard to make the call on these sedan deliveries. as I recall there is
not the typical window treatments on yours nor does it have tunnel lights. the anchors for the rack are the only indication of the ability to be used for a hearse. as are the folding jump seats. not a lot of seafoam green Hearses or ambulances out there. but who can say with fleet colors. I would say it's a 53 Barnette combination set up and used as a ambulance. lacking the indication that it was built as a ambulance. the last pictures is a ambulance

Attachments

• 1953 Barnett combined right.jpg
    1953 Barnett combined right.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 202
  • 1953 barnett combo 1.jpg
    1953 barnett combo 1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 1953 barnett combo 3.jpg
    1953 barnett combo 3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 1953 Barnett taken in 1956.jpg
    1953 Barnett taken in 1956.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 207
Thanks Steve...so any vehicle that has the ability to act as an ambulance and carry a casket is a combination regardless of whether the vehicle would be used as a funeral coach or not?

A 3-way or endloader hearse has the ABILITY to be used as an ambulance in a disaster or other emergency situation, as well as carry a casket. A flower delivery van or a U-Haul truck could do the same thing.

A combination car is a vehicle that was BUILT to be used as either a hearse or an ambulance.

Last edited:
so many people getting the low end cars would order the combos. a number of them never had a caskett in them. like your it only has the floor anchors for the rack. the brag was to have a combo that had never been used as a ambulance. now me I have a 1972 seville landow combination set up as a ambulance. like yours it was ordered with only the floor anchors for the rack. I don't believe it has ever carried a casket. has a number of bodies though.
no matter how you configure it hearse or ambulance it's still a combo. no me I would not have a problem with a 53 Barnette combo set up and used as a ambulance. after all that was one of the original designs by the manufacture for the car

Back