Answers and opinions please

Doug Kelley

PCS Member / Funeral Director
2 Questions:

1. What is the general opinion of combinations that are made into full time ambulances, meaning paint schemes and permanent emergency lights ?

2. If one does so, does the value of the car go down ?

Thanks

I did it myself but you will be surprised, it's better to keep a car original to my opinion. About the value, sadly on the market (out of here of course) a modified combo have a greater value than original. General car collectors will not pay for a lighten hearse,... nor a dark ambulance.

I think it is okay to dress it as an ambulance. Back in the day, they were often used by volunteer squads, after the funeral director was done using it. Remember, a combo is a hearse and an ambulance, how can you go wrong? Maybe you should keep it the original color. As to value, it currently might be worth more as an ambulance, but trends do change sometimes. You should do what you are comfortable doing. Good luck!

Original in My Opinion

Combos look great dressed up as low tops BUT given your day job is owning a funeral home, you will find that service for a vintage car collector may request a vintage coach. That way you have the best of both worlds.

If you want an ambulance, buy an ambulance.

Many combinations were converted to straight ambulance use during their service lives; there's nothing that can be done about that. Central units 28 and 55 here are an example:

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=30803&postcount=24

Too many combinations have been ruined lately by collectors that wanted an ambulance but couldn't find or afford one.

Keep yours original (and convertable) while you can - it's only original ONCE.

We have the interior of our 72 set up as ambulance and have beacon on top but keep landau panels on. At shows we remove one panel with ambulance signs in window and educate people about combos. If you are wanting combo set up as ambulance consider a coach already modified versus an original. Like our 71 for example.

I hear people say keep it original, and though I understand the logic and respect the opinion, IF you are going to keep it and don't care what the resell value it - my rule is - have fun with it the best way you can.
I bought the '77 S & S and it was in bad body shape - and WHITE... my least favorite color. I had just got the green '92 and loved the color... so, I whilst doing body work I changed the '77 from white to green, and it quickly became one of my favorites.
You can pretty well bet that the value may drop on a car if you deviate from originality, but I don't care what it does to the value. If I like the car and want it my way, why should I stay with a color or design just in an effort to stay original?
I say this with a tremendous amount of respect to the previous posters who offer a differing opinion.
My vote: if you want to make an ambulance out of of it, go ahead... the only downside to me is idiots who would holler "ghostbusters!" at it then...
(though a straight hearse, I offer my color change photos below)

Attachments

• 77 S & S vic 3.jpg
    77 S & S vic 3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 389
  • '77 GT photography.jpg
    '77 GT photography.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 398
I hear people say keep it original, and though I understand the logic and respect the opinion, IF you are going to keep it and don't care what the resell value it - my rule is - have fun with it the best way you can.
I bought the '77 S & S and it was in bad body shape - and WHITE... my least favorite color. I had just got the green '92 and loved the color... so, I whilst doing body work I changed the '77 from white to green, and it quickly became one of my favorites.
You can pretty well bet that the value may drop on a car if you deviate from originality, but I don't care what it does to the value. If I like the car and want it my way, why should I stay with a color or design just in an effort to stay original?
I say this with a tremendous amount of respect to the previous posters who offer a differing opinion.
My vote: if you want to make an ambulance out of of it, go ahead... the only downside to me is idiots who would holler "ghostbusters!" at it then...

Although I lean towards originality on a car and I think it is wise to keep original colors, whenever possible. But, I love the green hearse. Truthfully, you did your hearse a big favor by making it look special. Nice job Kent!

I mostly agree, but depends on WHY someone likes/wants such a car as ours. In my case, it's mostly about the history that took place with it. In that case, the original color is one of many things that would mean a lot to the current owner or potential purchaser.

As I see it - a paint job can be easily reversed with no real damage done. Maybe leave a record or photo for the next guy in case they are one of the above folks. However, other changes - maybe not so much. In which case, then someone would have to explain to me how it'd be any different than someone building an Ectomobile.

One day I'd like to add a Combination car to my garage...

GB

QUOTE" if you want to make an ambulance out of of it, go ahead... the only downside to me is idiots who would holler "ghostbusters!" at it then..."

Kent ,
In this part of the country,they even yell "ghostbusters" at HEARSES !!:pat::confused2:

But she wears the green very nicely...looks very dignified to me ! Congratulations !

QUOTE" if you want to make an ambulance out of of it, go ahead... the only downside to me is idiots who would holler "ghostbusters!" at it then..."

Kent ,
In this part of the country,they even yell "ghostbusters" at HEARSES !!:pat::confused2:

But she wears the green very nicely...looks very dignified to me ! Congratulations !

The same morons actually yelled GHOSTBUSTERS at my suburban.

NC GS 14-415.10 Concealed Carry Permitees

This law allows the carrying of concealed weapons in North Carolina:
Educational Property: Yes if secured in vehicle
Alcoholic Beverages are served: Yes unless posted
State & Federald Courthouses: Yes if secured in vehicle
Parades or Funeral Processions: Yes unless posted
Picket Lines, Private Health Care Facilities: NO
Posted Property: No
Law Enforcement or Correctional Facility: NO
Assembly, where admission is charged: Yes unless posted
Owner of Vintage Ambulance, while being hollered at, "Ghostbusters!" by imbeciles: NO!

(this is why I sold the ambulance... ;)

the only value in the car is what it can be sold for at the time you sell it. changing the car from one form offered by the builder to another is no big deal. we all know of the odd ball cars ordered in not normal configuration by people willing to pay for what they want. I myself like to keep the paint original but I have painted over a car as many time as the owner wants me to.

the only problem is lying about it. if you have a combo what want to convert it to a low top ambulance by fixing lights and siren on the outside and changing the inside cabinet. go for it. just say it's a combo converted to a ambulance. let the field judge call it what they want. keep the car original to the year of manufacture and you're good in my book.

it was not that uncommon for small more frugal services to do so. conversion is cheaper than ordering a new car after all.

Many combinations were converted to straight ambulance use during their service lives; there's nothing that can be done about that.

Buying a car that was converted from a hearse or combination to straight ambulance use back in the day (while it was in service) is one thing. Converting one today just because the owner isn't satisfied with it, however, is another.

If being judged at a PCS meet is an issue, please remember that a car will be entered in the class it was born in, not one it's been converted to. Class assignment mistakes made in the past will not be repeated.

If being judged at a PCS meet is an issue, please remember that a car will be entered in the class it was born in, not one it's been converted to. Class assignment mistakes made in the past will not be repeated.
\

One can only wish........

What's my 53 Barnette classed as?

So here's my dilemma.

My 1953 Pontiac/Barnette is by all accounts an ambulance. it has permanently mounted lights and siren. The windows are painted with red crosses and white lines. It says "ambulance" along the roof line. It has a smallish medical cabinet in the patient compartment. As far as I can tell this vehicle was built as an ambulance.

Now here's the odd part. It has holes in the floor for a casket rack and the floor mounts for the bier pins front and back.

My guess is that the funeral home that provided the ambulance service (where this vehicle came from) also had a need to move a casket at times if their regular coach was not available. I can't see it ever being used as a hearse due the lights/sirens and markings.

So is it a combination or an ambulance with the ability to safely transport/secure a casket?

So here's my dilemma.

My 1953 Pontiac/Barnette is by all accounts an ambulance. it has permanently mounted lights and siren. The windows are painted with red crosses and white lines. It says "ambulance" along the roof line. It has a smallish medical cabinet in the patient compartment. As far as I can tell this vehicle was built as an ambulance.

Now here's the odd part. It has holes in the floor for a casket rack and the floor mounts for the bier pins front and back.

My guess is that the funeral home that provided the ambulance service (where this vehicle came from) also had a need to move a casket at times if their regular coach was not available. I can't see it ever being used as a hearse due the lights/sirens and markings.

So is it a combination or an ambulance with the ability to safely transport/secure a casket?

Your car is a combination that has been converted:

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=31829&postcount=55

Thanks Steve...so any vehicle that has the ability to act as an ambulance and carry a casket is a combination regardless of whether the vehicle would be used as a funeral coach or not?

From my research into my vehicle it has never been used for anything other than an ambulance.

Back