Sad news. Joe Weller, Brothers- Memphis, Tennessee

Jeremy D. Ledford

PCS Volunteer Chapter President
Wanted to pass along this sad news just received (off of Facebook from one of the children of Joe Weller) of another member of one of the coach builder families that is about to pass into his eternal home with the Lord. Joe Weller, son of the late George Weller was a member of the Weller Brothers family out of Memphis Tennessee, a longtime coach builder. Prayers and thoughts are with the Weller family during this time.

Below is the report from the family.

Dear friends and family of Joe Weller/Brother/Dad/Papa Joe/Great Grandad... A hallmark of Dad's life is that his familial and social circles were ever widening and that they have been and remain still a joy to him. Many of you know the unique family ties that occurred only two years after Mom and Dad married and his son, Tim, and I followed suit. For those who haven't enjoyed hearing Dad tell this story, I'm Terry, Tim's wife and Mom's daughter. Dad is a great communicator and his condition reports have kept you all in the loop for nearly three years now. More recently the news became less glowing with each visit so his reports became less informative and less frequent. Many of you have found ways to reach our family for information and we have been very glad to hear the kind expressions of love you have conveyed. But yesterday when Tim had time to search Dad's contact lists we saw for the first time just how many of us there are who have been receiving these reports. We also realized the overwhelming majority have probably been in the dark for a few weeks now. Dad was hospitalized two weeks ago. His high white blood count, extreme nausea and a very distended abdomen prompted a procedure called paracentesis. Six liters, or roughly thirteen pounds of fluid were drained. Five days later we were at the West Clinic where another four and a half liters were drained and two days after that yet another one and one quarter liters. It was during that last visit we were told that the CAT Scan taken while he was in the hospital had been compared to the most recent CAT Scan the West Clinic had and indeed the cancer had spread from the liver into the paratineum lining of his abdomen. Within minutes of this conversation his oncologist, Dr. Pallera, came back into the exam room where Dad, Mom, Tim and I had been trying to absorb the CAT Scan news. The doctor sorrowfully reported that his blood work of that morning revealed his liver was not functioning properly adding extra stress on his already overworked kidneys which now were also shutting down. Dad, along with the rest of us, made the decision that we would support Dad so that he could walk the remaining distance through this fight with cancer with the courage and dignity he has brilliantly exhibited up to this point. Sunday Dad celebrated his final Father's Day with his devoted and very grateful family; children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, all remembering and honoring the man who has made us the family we are blessed to be. Dad is unable to communicate via telephone, text or computer anymore. We do read and relay any messages we receive when his condition allows. His time is very short now. We will send you notice of his departure from this world into the eternal joy of God's presence. As Dad habitually ended all his condition reports, thank you for your care and especially for your prayers. Sent with love to those who love this extraordinary man.... Terry

he is going out with style. to bad for me I never got to meet him. would have loved hearing about the work he did.

I've known Joe for going on 30 years now. It was only in the last 5 or so that the connection to Weller Brothers Coach came up. During these last 5 years, Joe was constantly looking for a Weller Brothers car but always came up empty. The last time I talked to him was when he received his Weller Brothers DeSoto ambulance model. Needless to say, he was very proud of that and (my words) figured that was as close to a Weller Brothers car as he would get. Joe has fought hard over these last few years against cancer and I hope and pray that he as well as his family are comforted in his last days.

Back