Road Trip

Leaving Ga. monday headed to Baltimore, MD area to deliver 85 mustang convertible we sold then up to place near Williamsport, PA. to pick up a 99 caddy S&S masterpiece with 24k we bought then on to Louisville, KY to get a 96 corvette and then back to Ga. Figure gone about all week and if I can stop by and visit anyone along the way I will. Hope it don't start snowing again before I get to PA.

Why don't you buy something in the South Dakota area, and pick up a vehicle in CT and move bring it to Ed? Then you can pick up whatever you bought and bring it home to GA. Heck, I will even take the ride with you to keep you company. Won't be any longer than the trip that you have posted above.

we don't have any snow out here and none expected, be nice all next week. but for those of you getting the storm of the century according to the big news media, here is what it looked like coming across Neb the first part of last week. I was glad it went south of us.

Attachments

• IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 570
update, long day

Had a great visit this morning with Kenneth McCoy at his funeral home in Blacksburg, Va. He was getting ready for an afternoon service but he took time to give a tour of the place which is beautiful. Having been in funeral business I know what is needed for a great place and he has it all here. Plenty of room, everything layed out great, super fleet of cars, great staff, beautiful chapel, I could go on and on as I loved it. Hated to go but finally did and shortly after leaving noticed truck was acting weird with clutch issues and stopped for rest stop and figured out I had no clutch anymore and slave cylinder was dry so added fluid but ran out bottom of tranny. I managed to get it going by shifting at right time without a clutch and drove about 200 more miles but finally needed fuel and stopped and had more trouble getting started this time and made it back on interested just in time to finish it off. Now on side of interstate dead so unloaded car off I was delivering and drove back to exit I had just left and got a hotel and started calling PCS folks in the area for help. Didn't want to tow this truck all over the place but wanted to find someone who could tow and fix maybe and Steve Lichman offered some guideance then I called Kenneth back and he mentioned a funeral director in area that might know of someone who could help and I was looking in phone book and found towing service with same last name and called them and they said they were related to guy at funeral home and they could tow truck and fix it but would be friday before they could start on it. Ends up best option I could find so tomorrow will get up to get the 99 hearse I was going after in PA. and with Cynthia's help drive down to MD. and leave mustang and come home in hearse which is my favorite mode of transportation anyway and after they fix truck I guess I will come back up and load what ever I am driving that day on truck and head back. This did cut short going to KY to get the vette but always next week. More tomorrow!

I hated it when GM went to back to that hydraulic clutch. lets hope that the luck of the draw gets a good place and she is back on the road when expected. but congradulations not a lot of peope can figured out how to drive a stick let alone shift with out the clutch.

put her in a gear you can get it out of and start it in that one. then go from there hopeing you don't miss one or you get to start all over again. not a fun way to drive. bad enough in a light rig but a truck loaded! hats off to you.:horsepoop-1:

If there's anything else I can do to help while you're up here, let me know.

Also, you can thank PCS member Bob Baker, who was the one who suggested to me that I suggest the shop to you, that you had already talked to and had blown you off. We both tried, anyway. :pat:

Well long but good day! Drove about 200 miles to PA. and got hearse and cynthia drove it and I drove mustang another 200 miles to place near baltimore Md. and then found hotels in that area very expensive so started back toward 81 and figured out I was almost back to where it all started last night so about 200 more miles and back where I was this morning for about 600 miles today. Boy I love the 99 hearse, she is a beauty. Sorry Steve I didn't come near you at a decent time to visit. Oh, BTW the hearse is getting 23mpg which is funny as the 85 mustang got same driving it today.

Couple of interesting moments to share from the trip. Was on hwy 11 south in PA. heading to baltimore, Md. and knew mustang would need gas before I delivered and didn't want to have to stop in city so started looking for fuel which not alot along the way in rural PA. at least on hwy 11 but spoted a citgo and wheeled into a small store/tire shop/gas station and proceded to get out to get my gas and guy walked up and I though what does this guy want? Believe it or not he wanted to pump my fuel! Wow, a full service citgo. I haven't found anywhere in years that will pump your fuel anymore. Second funny which always happens was at rest stop and cute girl about 30ish walks up and wants to take picture of my hearse so I said sure, should have ask to get picture of her but didn't, anyway she wanted to know if this was my daily driver! This is a 99 funeral ready car but guess she didn't know year difference and since I was riding around in it she thought that was all I had maybe?

you get more chances to do PR moving a car home then any other time. hated to stop bringing the 58 to the house because everyone wanted to look at it and talk about it.
but full service wow did you mark that spot with a x on the map I would go out of my way just to see that. had the drill hammered into me on my first real job put the hose in the tank ,wash all the windows, check the tires, check the oil, check the air filter and condition of the fan belt. got 1% exeter on the pay check for every fan belt and air cleaner we changed on the island. so we did it on every car.

Full service, Im used to that. The gas station where I live does this, which is one of only 2 businesses in town, not including the post office that may be closing soon.

The closest gas station to my house here in Toronto is still a full service station. There are a few around that pump the gas for you in Toronto.

There are a few along the 401 highway that offer both, full service and self serve.

I know a few in MI too.

Darren

P.S. and you pump first, then pay ! not pay first, then pump like in the US.

There is a gas station in Lebanon TN that stil pumps your gas for you. Its not a service station, just a small gas station. They are few and far between now days. I remember as a kid the little Exxon station down the road from my house. It was a full service service station, and even had a couple wreckers. There was a small Texaco station across the street, that closed down for about a year, then they tor it down and built a big gas station with a McDonalds in it, and not to long after that, the full service Exxon shut down. Boy how things change.

Hey Danny, you forgot to give me that girls number.

Josh

There is a gas station in Lebanon TN that stil pumps your gas for you. Its not a service station, just a small gas station. They are few and far between now days. I remember as a kid the little Exxon station down the road from my house. It was a full service service station, and even had a couple wreckers. There was a small Texaco station across the street, that closed down for about a year, then they tor it down and built a big gas station with a McDonalds in it, and not to long after that, the full service Exxon shut down. Boy how things change.

Hey Danny, you forgot to give me that girls number.

I have got to pay more attention to details Josh.

Danny, that's OK that you couldn't get by, another time, perhaps. Glad you got everything fixed and back home.

That would be interesting to know where the gas station was in PA. Do you remember where you were?

In New Jersey, they used to (and I think they still do) require all gas stations be full-serve, they do not permit self-serve. I can't imagine why NJ would outlaw pumping your own gas, but I guess they feel that still needs to be professionally done for some reason. So if you don't want to pump your own gas, go to NJ to fill up!

Back