1957 National Chevrolet Ambulet

Keith Snyder

PCS Member
I know I've said this before but, here's something you don't see all that often. In this case it's once again true. I haven't any idea where the owner/seller of this vehicle got his production statistics but, he's probably right that you won't see another one on the internet. Is anyone familiar with the car he refers to having been sold at the Barrett Jackson? I'm not a big fan of '57 Chevys so..this seems to me to be a bit over-priced considering what it would cost to restore. What thinks the rest of you guys?

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/4894374949.html

Attachments

• 00y0y_c0fmsMYVi0n_600x450.jpg
    00y0y_c0fmsMYVi0n_600x450.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 01616_68PTyvqBGxz_600x450.jpg
    01616_68PTyvqBGxz_600x450.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 267
  • 00Q0Q_2BCVPjPBwmr_600x450.jpg
    00Q0Q_2BCVPjPBwmr_600x450.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 00E0E_89lHUbcbUjR_600x450.jpg
    00E0E_89lHUbcbUjR_600x450.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 272
Every time I show someone the Buick Limo ,I mentioned it is 1 of 2 built. First words out of there mouth is it must be worth a ridiculous high dollar amount. No explaining to them yes it is 1 of 2 made , but that does not make it worth a crazy dollar amount. Worth more than a regular 62 Buick 225 sure but not worth the dollar amount they see it at . When they throw out some high dollar amount I always say tell you what I ,ll sell it to you for half that amount and you can double your money. No takers yet. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC04244.jpg
    DSC04244.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 344
Last few times this was on CL, it was sitting in a weed field and woods. Glad to see it got pulled out, but I think the price then was about 1/3rd of what it is now.

it's a chevy nomad

Doesn't matter that it's a rare procar, it matters that it's a '57 chevy nomad. someone will buy it and restore it as a nomad. Might keep the etched rear glass, though. Hemmings shows a bunch of these, and none are cheap, even the "disassembled" one at $19.5k. Doesn't mean it will sell for the asking price, but it will sell.

Doesn't matter that it's a rare procar, it matters that it's a '57 chevy nomad. someone will buy it and restore it as a nomad. Might keep the etched rear glass, though. Hemmings shows a bunch of these, and none are cheap, even the "disassembled" one at $19.5k. Doesn't mean it will sell for the asking price, but it will sell.

That isn't a 1957 Chevy Nomad, just a plain Jane 1957 2 door station wagon. Look at the picture of the rear of the car and then compare it to the picture of the rear of a 1957 Chevy Nomad. They don't even look close to being the same.

Attachments

• 00Q0Q_2BCVPjPBwmr_600x450.jpg
    00Q0Q_2BCVPjPBwmr_600x450.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 360
  • 1957 nomad.jpg
    1957 nomad.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 365
I like it...I don't know much about the history or value of classic Chevrolet procars or passenger vehicles, but I know what I like. I told my wife that if we had room in the garage, I would probably make an offer on this one. As it turns out, my garage is FULL and I have 6 cars parked in storage, and one being restored. I wish I had more room and money for cars, but I have learned that, even if I bought this one today, there would be another beckoning me to buy it tomorrow.
Maybe I will take the money that I was going to offer for this one and use it to fix up one I already own...
That said, I do like the look of a 57 Chevrolet Ambulance/Hearse. I own a 57 Cadillac hearse...there are some similarities in the front clip...some....I like the hood accents and the fins on the Chevy. The fins on the 57 Chevy point back like the 58 Cadillac...The 58 Cadillac Procar is one that has always caught my eye....No matter what happens, or what this car sells for, I hope it goes to someone who will respect that it is a Procar, and keep it looking as such.

Does anyone know if the rear corner glass section, that is metal on this car, was original to this vehicle's build or if it is likely that metal was used to replace expensive curved glass? The Nomad that was pictured in this thread has rear corner glass....Just wondering...I would not be surprised if the builder used metal or glass for the corners.

or just hot rodded with no purpose because it a 57. national made a lot of them there are still a half dozen of them just the some as national put them out. it started out as your standard 2 door t-10 wagon. not to mention all the Comet's out there. as this one was not stretched it was a cheap ambulance

Back again , but the pics are in the weeds from where it started. Down 5K from where it started in Feb.

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/5145645307.html

1957 Chevrolet 2dr Ambulance - $10000 (La Pine)

1957 Chevrolet 2dr Ambulance *Extremely Rare*
less than 40 ever Made!
you wont even find one on the internet! may be one of the last to be still in existence!
needs complete restoration!
is very complete even both etched side glass and spinning bucket seats!
want to have the coolest hot rod?
don't be like every one be the only one with this unique car!
a restored bubble roof 57 ambulance at Barret Jackson auctions http://www.barrett-jackson.com/ went over $100,000
so just imagine this low profile 2dr National will go for restored!
bring your reasonable offers
Looking for a WRX SUBARU , TOYOTA TACOMA, MINI COOPER ECT.
Bring offers lost storage hate to sell must move!
SOLD WITH BILL OF SALE ONLY! and lost title paper work DMV Forms signed by original owners!
THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEM GETTING TITLE! GUARANTEED!
let me know what you have thanks

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 152
You're right. Doesn't alter my basic premise, it's a desirable year and model, it will sell, it won't be restored as an ambulance.

first heard this statement about 5 years ago on this vary car. national cranked out these as there low end short wheel base ambulance. they are done on the 57 sedan delivery body. yes that are sharp done up right. I much prefer the comet jR. in style though. and as for there desirability it's passed over because it's all ready cut up and there for not a lot of hot roding left and it's one expensive puppy to re do. those 57 boys really get the money for there parts. you can right not go out and buy every piece of this car after market if you want it. but if you redo it as a ambulance you have a small low end two door and if your into rods it just doesn't have the desire as one with the blank panels would have. then of course there is my guess that from the rockers down it most likely gone. so there are vary few people willing to spend the money to get it and the money to repair it. when you can find one ready to go for the same bucks. you want to drop 50 grand on a car I'm guessing most of us would pass.here is a picture I have of it back when I first saw it surface.

what one has to remember is those people that really desire one of these are my age and they have all ready had one or still own one. bought a 57 2 dr hp in spring of 70 traded it for a new pinto that fall. no I wasn't sorry and no I don't wish I had it back. miss the pinto though.

Attachments

• 1957 national.jpg
    1957 national.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 87
Back