Downsize Superior Ambulances 1977-1979

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
While searching for something else on my computer, I came across this today, which I had prepared in October 2014. Unfortunately, the Northland Website no longer exists, and it was a great resource that we have lost. Below are my notes, and possibly we can get all this information updated.

Date: Oct 10, 2014 11:34 PM
Of the 30 ambulances that Superior manufactured from 1977 to 1979 I only know of 11 of them that have survived based on information on the Northland PCS Website. I know of the following 11 cars. Does anyone know of the whereabouts of the 18 ambulances not accounted for??? I assume that the one that went to Saudi Arabia is still there, so I didn't include it in the final count of missing units. I find it amazing that the only picture of the entire production run that isn't on the Northland PCS Website (http://www.northlandpcs.com/index.htm) is of unit #4. I thank them for providing the information to do this research and also for great archive service to the PCS Members.
Mike Barruzza 1977.......1 (#729, 730, & 731)
Brian Schuff 1977..................2 (#732 & 733) (reported as scrapped)
??????.................................3 (#734) Physician's Ambulance of Rancho Cordova, Ca.
??????.................................4 (#735)(no picture) Brian Schuff 1977.......5 (#735 & 736)
Jim Ireland..........................5 (#736) (number needs to be confirmed) Under Restoration
??????................................6 (#738) *Brian Ochs..Needs to be verified
Bob Hess 1977....................7 (#739 & 740)
Tony Corriher......................8 (#741)
Earl Wendt 1977................. 9 (#742, 743)
??????...............................10 (#744, 745)
Dennis Goethe ....................11 (#746) (number needs to be confirmed)
Paul Steinberg ....................12 (#748) Setter Hospital (Canada) Copper River EMS (Alaska) Undergoing restoration
??????................................13 (#749)
??????................................14 (#750)
Mark Ferris.........................15 (#751, 752)Ashland Fire Department
??????...............................16 (#777)
Jim Ireland.........................17 (#753 & 754)Kearny NJ Police Department
AMR/Connecticut*...............18 (#755 & 756) 18 & 19 were delivered together to Village of Dundee NY Fire Department*unknown if 18 or 19
??????...............................19 (#755 & 756)
Myron Gittell 1978..............20 (#729, 757, 830, 831) 1979
??????...............................21 (#758, 759) pair delivered to the City of New York Police Department.
??????..............................22 (#758, 759)
Terry Lange 1979...............23 (#760) does he still own this car?????Winkler, Manitoba Fire Department
??????...............................24 Unknown
??????...............................25 Unknown
??????...............................26 Unknown
??????...............................27 Unknown
Peter Grave.......................29 Condition not reported. Located in a salvage yard
Dr. Roger White.................30

From Memory, I believe that I eventually accounted for all but one, however, what I found today was the original rough draft, and not the finished product that was published on the original Professional Car Society website that we lost many years ago.

I sometimes wonder if we ever completed the "how many left" project on Criterions. If memory serves we were double and sometimes triple counting the same car due to different paint-jobs and we were supposed to send as many data-plate photos to Paul and Richard as we could so that we could compile a database of all known Criterions.

Drumheller

Here is the Drumheller Cadillac. 1977 car. Forgot the #. Brian Schuff saved this one and was the previous owner. I’ve almost finished a restoration. Here is a photo from last year. I’m away from home so don’t have any more recent photos.

If you have the exact URL of the northland page you might try entering it in the search box at archive.org . I was able to pull up the old Criterion page with pictures, but I don’t know the URL of the page that had the downsized cars on it.

Criterion page

If you have the exact URL of the northland page you might try entering it in the search box at archive.org . I was able to pull up the old Criterion page with pictures, but I don’t know the URL of the page that had the downsized cars on it.

Could I get the URL for that? Thanks

Here is the Drumheller Cadillac. 1977 car. Forgot the #. Brian Schuff saved this one and was the previous owner. I’ve almost finished a restoration. Here is a photo from last year. I’m away from home so don’t have any more recent photos.

To Jim, Paul, and Brian, thanks for saving this one. Drumheller is about 1 1/2 hours out of Calgary, and it would have been a very special addition to their emergency services when it arrived. Well done. :thumbsup: If I cross paths with any old EMS members from there I will let them it is in great hands.

It' a shame The Northland Chapter Archives were eliminated and never resurrected! I miss going there and always looked for updates! If I remember correctly there was no prior announcement nor explanation-------it was just GONE!

'77 Superior Transport #4 was owned by Huntemann Ambulance in Washington, DC. It was the only one of the Transports that RD White was not able to get a photo of. I'm friends with Mike Huntemann, he promised me a photo, but to no avail (not surprising).

A year or two ago, I found a photo of it posted elsewhere on the 'net. I immediately sent it to Dr. White, who now has the complete set. For anyone else collecting, here it is. Presumably, it has been scrapped.

Attachments

• 77SupTpt04HuntemannsWashDC.jpg
    77SupTpt04HuntemannsWashDC.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 186
Back