"Humble Heroes" book about funeral home ambulance service

"Humble Heroes" is a book that offers a concise, illustrated account of funeral home operated ambulance service. 40 pages provide a narrative to 30 black and white photographs showing funeral home ambulances and crews at work. Topics include training, equipment, finances, the challenges that brought an end to this long tradition of service, as well as a chapter about an Ohio funeral home still operating emergency ambulance service. Softcover, saddle stitched, 40 pages, with great black and white photos by Bill Dever, Dr. Jim Moshinskie and Kent Kirkley. PCS price $13 including shipping to anywhere in the continental U.S. Send check or money order to: Scott Reinbolt, P.O. Box 103, Blanchester, OH. 45107

Great book

Got this book a few years back,very interesting read and well done,shows where the Ambulance service started in many cases,and how improvising was the only way to survive,well worth the price.

Scott hasn't been back to the forums since 2017, so I suggest that you send him either a private message, or email. Click on his name, and you should see the options to do this. If you need help, let me know in the Help section at the top of the forums.
thanks
Paul

Humble Heroes

Bill-Thanks for the inquiry. I don't have any copies left, other than one I kept for myself. The minimum order for the printer is 100 copies. I have been toying with the idea of ordering another run or writing Humble Heroes II with some new information. Funeral home ambulance services are even more rare today than they were in 2011 when I wrote the book. We're down to only 3 in Ohio and only 1 that isn't operated as a business independent from the funeral home. I'll be glad to let you know if I decide to order another run.

Paul-thanks for sending Bill in my direction.

Bill-Thanks for the inquiry. I don't have any copies left, other than one I kept for myself. The minimum order for the printer is 100 copies. I have been toying with the idea of ordering another run or writing Humble Heroes II with some new information. Funeral home ambulance services are even more rare today than they were in 2011 when I wrote the book. We're down to only 3 in Ohio and only 1 that isn't operated as a business independent from the funeral home. I'll be glad to let you know if I decide to order another run.

I would buy an updated version.

I would like to see it include a current (at time of book publication) list of funeral homes still operating ambulances, even under separate corporations. There are seven left in Illinois, for an example. There is one left in Oklahoma, with separate corporations and facilities. There is one in Arkansas* and none in Texas, Kansas, and Missouri that I know of.

*https://www.emersonfuneralhome.com/page/343

*The funeral home is in the background:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwjjiNi7tv3fAhUKQq0KHXG6CKYQpx8wCnoECAAQCw

I have the original, a definite must-have; very well documented, and written. A fascinating read!

I would definitely buy the sequel, and prequel! :applause:

Back