Door latch help for my 1956 Superior

I am in desperate need of the front door latches for my 56' Cadillac Superior Funeral Coach. I have had a few sent and the striker portion that is visible on the door has been too big. This is critical as the existing latches are worn and the door does not line up. Any suggestions would be appreciated- Thank you

It seems as though I've seen those on ebay, in the Cadillac listing. Your comment makes me think you have a greater problem, worn hinges. I have a similar problem on my '76 S&S and have yet to get it adequately repaired. If you can lift the opened door from the bottom and you can feel movement, replace the hinges.

Can you not just replace the pins?

yes you can if it's worn or replace the bushing if they are gone. if there is movement in the door it's to worn to adjust. they all were subject to bending when you tossed the door open so if there is no movement adjust the door would be in order. the truth be known I have never seen a worn out latch. striker yes, but not a latch

To add to what Ed has posted, if the hinges have worn out the hinge pin, and the hinge pin hole has become elongated, then it needs to be bored out, and bronze bushings installed, along with a new pin. Not all hinges have the bronze busings in them from the original manufacturer.
Now, there is one more issue that comes up, and that is if the hinge is broken, and you have to find a replacement. The hinge might not necessarily be a Cadillac part, however, in all likelihood it is a GM part. The difficult thing is to determine what the hinge was originally used on (i.e. Buick, Olds, Chevy, Pontiac, GMC), and what year car was the hinge originally sourced from. I have seen some body builder parts books that give this information along with the part number, and other times, it only has the body builder part number, which is of no use today. In one parts book, the upper hinge was one brand of car, and the lower was another brand of car, but both were GM.
If you have to have one hinge repaired, you might as well do all the rest, because the rest are not far behind in failing in the future.
As to the striker, if the door has been sagging, then it will wear out the striker. If it is possible, take a picture of the striker, and give the measurements of height, width, and depth, and possible we can figure out what you need for a replacement. Sometimes, you might even find a casting number or part number on the part, that will help in the identification. If you latch is worn, then you have even more problems trying to figure out what the correct replacement part is going to be, but once again, it can be done with pictures.

Back