hearse 1st on scene

Is that a good thing? :p

dsc08669xx.jpg

Actually when I was in college (embalming school) I wittnessed a rollover crash on the Interatate and I was first on scene driving a 1998 S&S Cadillac Medalist end loader!

I remember in 2002 I attended the Cadillac Centennial with my 1980 Superior landau. I stayed at a different hotel from where the meet was, and while driving back to my hotel about midnight after the day's activites, I saw a whole bunch of flashing lights ahead, and soon traffic came to a halt. A police officer had one car at a time turn around on the two lane road as a major crash had the whole road blocked. When I pulled up to be the next car in line to turn around, rather than just automatically directing me to turn around, the officer came to my window and asked if I had been called there! Guess it really had been a serious crash.

last year I was at a Car show at a retirement villa with my 87 Eureka, when the Manger came up to me and asked if I could move the car..... IT WAS FRIGHTENING THE RESIDENTS ! LOL

last year I was at a Car show at a retirement villa with my 87 Eureka, when the Manger came up to me and asked if I could move the car..... IT WAS FRIGHTENING THE RESIDENTS ! LOL

When I worked at a nursing home ( I really miss that job) I drove my 60 Superior all the time and the residents actually thought it was cool!

When I had my hearse, a '90 Eureka, I was working at a retirement village and they asked me to park it in a certain place so as not to scare the residents. I did as asked, but the residents loved the car. Only one or two thought it was in bad taste, but I explained why I drove it and they changed their minds. One day, one of the residents missed her ride to her hair dresser and I volunteered to give her a ride, but said she would have to ride in the hearse. That was fine with her so off we went. When we got there, her stylist was just getting out of his car and saw her. He asked her what she was doing commiing in a hearse. Her answer, "Just a practice run". We had a good laugh over that.

When my wife had our second child I would take my '86 Superior and park by the morgue. I could just take the service elevator up to the maternity ward and come out at her room. I put my "Funeral Professional official Business" placard on my dash.

It was better than walking forever from the parking lot.

I gotta get me one of those "Funneral Professional Official Business" placeards would save me a ton in parking fees !!! lol

Actually when I was in college (embalming school) I wittnessed a rollover crash on the Interatate and I was first on scene driving a 1998 S&S Cadillac Medalist end loader!

Speaking of the Interstate, Jeremy, you should've been at the '99 PCS meet in Lancaster, PA. Actually the host hotel was right on Route 30, which is as busy as any interstate.

I had just left there and gone out for the evening with some of the guys I had gotten acquainted with there...so I missed all of it.

Late that evening there was a bad multi-vehicle crash on Rt. 30 right by the host hotel. As you are well aware, a lot of the member ambulances are fully equipped and stocked; so some of the guys responded in their ambulances to the scene and took care of some of the victims until the local EMS got there.

Never a dull moment in PCS!

I trust he was joking and that you stood your ground!

Sometime people aren't joking about that Steve. When I lived in Lubbock I kept two of our Pontiac Consort ambulances at my house: one in the drive and one on the street. Just out of the blue one day a guy from the city showed up saying there were complaints from some of the neighbors about the two ambulances sitting there, and that they needed to be moved. I asked why and he said that they scared some of the elderly people in the neighborhood. I stood my ground and told him that they weren't hurting anything or anyone and that those "scared people" would have an entirely different attitude if they needed an ambulance in a hurry. I was actually ordered to move them but I refused, and after that I never heard another word from them.

When I was in college, I acquired our '57 DeSoto wagon/ambulance, and I was living for a while in a rented room off campus. The owner of the house was a sweet little old lady, the widow of a professor at my college.

So I picked up the DeSoto and parked it in front of her house for several days until I could drive it home. She got a couple of phone calls from the neighbors, asking if she was alright, since they saw "the ambulance" in front of the house. She thought it was a hoot! :p

When my wife and I moved into our first house 47 years ago all furniture was Moved in with a fully lighted and operational 1962 Cadillac Superior High Top. As we were carrying the first of the furniture a "concerned neighbor" came stepping over to ask if anyone was ill. The same rig was used for Halloween later that year my wife and another therapist she worked with dressed as nurses I as the driver and the therapists Husband as the patient. We arrived at the Halloween Party lights ablaze (no siren) and brought the house down. The girls wheeled the patient into the party on the gurney to complete the effect.

Rig was bought in NYC on Jerome Ave wholesale district RED & WHITE. I donated it to the Bucks County Resque Sqaud based in Bristol Pa. for their Bensalem Township Substation . It served there for as I remember three years when a dispute with the township got them kicked out. I got a call from the Police Chief come get your car they are out of here. I can't remember what fire company but I then sold it to a fire company in upstate Pa. Lost track of it after that. If you can find any pictures Bucks County Squad had some beautiful Henny Packards in the 50s they were always on station for Races at the Langhorne Speedway .

When my wife and I moved into our first house 47 years ago all furniture was Moved in with a fully lighted and operational 1962 Cadillac Superior High Top. As we were carrying the first of the furniture a "concerned neighbor" came stepping over to ask if anyone was ill. The same rig was used for Halloween later that year my wife and another therapist she worked with dressed as nurses I as the driver and the therapists Husband as the patient. We arrived at the Halloween Party lights ablaze (no siren) and brought the house down. The girls wheeled the patient into the party on the gurney to complete the effect.

When I took over our small standby ambulance service in '71, my first ambulance was a '63 Consort ambulance with twin red 17s on the roof and a 77GB doubletone siren mounted on the right fender. One day I had taken the Consort out while running errands and stopped by a friend's house. His mom was standing at the kitchen window when she saw me drive up and immediately opened the window and asked who I was looking for with this stricken look on her face. When I replied, "Randy", she said "Oh...." and the window came down fast with a loud bam. Randy was laughing so hard when he came out that I thought he wasn't going to make it to the car!

Speaking of moving, when I moved from an old rent house to a nice mobile home (also a rental) in '86 I used our recently-acquired 1973 wide-bodied Superior Chevy ambulance to do the move. Plenty of space in that old critter.

Being asked by businesses to park your hearse in certain areas is not an odd occurrence at all.

Does anyone remember a couple of years ago in Hudson? Several people had taken their coaches to dinner at the local TGIFriday. Parked right out front with them all and it didn't take long for the manager to ask if they could be moved... Maybe parked out back where people wouldn't see them as easily. If I remember correctly, the coaches WERE moved to accommodate the restaurant... They were moved next door to another restaurant! :)

Back