'old hearse in a barn' game

As some of you know, I rather enjoy ferreting coach leads as time permits. '59s turn out to be '71s; that carved coaches turn out to be Plymouth Suburbans; etc.

Then, periodically my jaw drops. After all, the term 'old' is relative, right..? Who wants to guess what this even is????? (No, I haven't the entire answer.)

coachs.jpg

This cropped passenger front fender from a photo not posted is the reason I suggested National:

l_f4c20dbd7c0a4a109d62a8140603a457.jpg

May not be perfectly clear - but the letters are consistent with National and not Barnett.

51ambulance

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/album.php?albumid=18

It does match up.

(hope pic shows - first time I tried to add one)

not a 50

From my memory of 50s Pontiacs this one is a 51 or 52. The grille is different on the 50s. If of course they used the same grille as the normal production cars of the time. The only pics I have of the old (1950) 'family Indian' are the ones in my memory.
Mike

As some of you know, I rather enjoy ferreting coach leads as time permits. '59s turn out to be '71s; that carved coaches turn out to be Plymouth Suburbans; etc.

Then, periodically my jaw drops. After all, the term 'old' is relative, right..? Who wants to guess what this even is????? (No, I haven't the entire answer.)

So what's the plan for them? Are you going to try to add them to your collection?

Also, just curious, but where are they? I don't mean specifically, since I'm pretty sure you won't say :)(), but are they East coast, West coast, foriegn, etc?

Adam

The Pontiac is a National. The side trim and the taillights are different from the ones in the other thread. Barnette taillights are flat against the back of the car, National's stand out a bit on a little tube or tunnel.

Why can't I find barns like this?
You're well on your way to building one.

Why can't I find barns like this?

Hmmm. I'll go with having a 'real' job and far too many responsibilities as my final answer Ron. ;)

So what's the plan for them? Are you going to try to add them to your collection?

Also, just curious, but where are they? I don't mean specifically, since I'm pretty sure you won't say :)(), but are they East coast, West coast, foriegn, etc?

They're in Mexico. So far south in Mexico actually that Guatemala is close! I've emailed a couple reputable shipping companies south of the border for quotes and have yet to hear back. They have asking prices, yes. I'm considering sending a friend already in Mexico to take 100+ pics of each. Until I have a better grasp of individual conditions and levels of correctness/completeness, no contact info is public. Pics only in this forum.

The Cunningham seems quite reasonable and the other two even more so. Cunningham is well worth the investment AFTER shipping is factored in as is. If the Meteor isn't full of bondo, it is too. The Poncho is cheap @ 20,000 pesos ($1400 US) but even if free I don't foresee anyone in the US jumping for it given the shipping involved. (Shooting for $1200-1500 up to the border.) With as much of a stigma that hovers around Mexican coaches, I'd *love* to see this Cunningham make it's way into the hands of a capable American FD to prove the process isn't that difficult!

Brady has already been briefed and maintains right of first refusal once the rest is known. :)

I'm choosing '52 for the Pontiac

From my '49 - '54 Service manual, it's closest to the '52. The '51 and '52 grill look very much the same except the hood piece in the '52 dips down slightly in the center just below the Pontiac emblem.

Maybe many of the recent Pontiacs we've seen are surfacing now that GM has done away with the Pontiac line?

Bill

In another installment of Good Things Come to Those Who Wait, the actual owner of these 3 coaches revealed himself to me, not the middleman who was promoting them for sale previously.

Translation? Full picture set slated for Friday. (This process should move a little faster now... ;)) Really curious to see coachbuilder identification.

Back