Out of the shop

That is one gorgeous car! Thanks for sharing she is really, really beautiful. :applause::applause::applause:

is it torn up or just showing use. a good cleaning with a rinse and vack may just make up your mine for you. seen some really nasty stuff one thoroughly cleaned be vary serviceable. hit it heavy with some scrubbing bubbles and then right after that with the rinse and vack. it may clean up better then you expect.

Ed, as you can see from this shot, when I first acquired the car, there was a fair amount of dry mold on the interior. I had a guy who cleans RVs for a living steam clean the interior. He did an acceptable job overall. Some of the ivory fabric "dissolved" on the back door, but I have enough new material to get that looked after. I plan on re-carpeting the floor, which should improve the appearances dramatically, but am holding back on choosing a floor color until I find out what I will end up with for the fabric. Since there are curtain rods throughout the interior, even though it is a landau, it might also help to continue the window curtain treatment throughout the rest of the car.

Attachments

• Comet 8.jpg
    Comet 8.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 205
After trying Ed's suggestion to get the fabric as clean as possible, what about using a fabric spray paint (dye) to mask any remaining discoloration. I know it's easier done when covering dark over light but it may be worth a shot as a temporary fix.

thanks for caring for this piece of history!

It is just stunning; sorry I can't think of a word that hasn't been used yet.
WOW.

your right on that mold is a nasty thing to get out and it always leaves a stain.

so two choices one can pick a different pattern or do a cover up. believe it or not shoe polish works well. to get the right color check the underside of one of the pieces. then remove the hardware and put it one. wet rag will clean up any mistakes. try the back door first. you may have to custom mix a color and remember to let it dry before you reject it. you may need to do two or more layers but it will cover up dry and look like it belongs there. there is nothing like the original pattern and most were custom print for the builder.

Nice

Beautiful car there, thankyou for sharing the photos. It may well have been asked before, and other threads have been upon the subject before, but what was done to the roof of the coach? It does look kind of crinkle - finished, and very nice indeed.

Thanks

Dave

Beautiful car there, thankyou for sharing the photos. It may well have been asked before, and other threads have been upon the subject before, but what was done to the roof of the coach? It does look kind of crinkle - finished, and very nice indeed.

Thanks

Dave

The original finish on the car was the crinkle paint that was common back in the '50s up until I believe the mid to late '70s. My understanding is that this material is either no longer available, or body shops won't work with it any more. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but I was unable to find anyone in my area that was familiar with the process. What I had applied to the roof was the spray on bedliner material, which in my opinion is more durable and uniform in appearance. This has become very popular on funeral coaches as a replacement for the old crinkle paint. I also heard that the "rockguard" paint might work, but I don't know personally of anyone who has used that method over such a large area.

they still keep it for engine paint. 50 bucks a quart last time I got it and takes some playing with to get it on. the bed liner is a good alternative but once again find a man that sprays it and knows what they are doing. looking at these pictures I was guessing you did the wrinkle paint.

Tried it on the 68. Need to re do parts of it but came out pretty good.

Attachments

• DSC03527.jpg
    DSC03527.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC03545.jpg
    DSC03545.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC03546.jpg
    DSC03546.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 248
Hey Terry,
Thats a beautiful Comet Olds. The firm I worked for and later purchased had a 1959 Comet Combination. I made many ambulance calls and funerals with that car. You can see it by searching Marvin Deen under photo's.

Hey Terry,
Thats a beautiful Comet Olds. The firm I worked for and later purchased had a 1959 Comet Combination. I made many ambulance calls and funerals with that car. You can see it by searching Marvin Deen under photo's.

Always nice to see another '59 Comet Olds, Marvin! And that Barnett DeSoto is gorgeous!!

Now that I have seen it in the flesh.........

I love it just the way it is. Try Ed's suggestions and leave it until the perfect fabric surfaces. It is better, the way it is, than done in the wrong fabric. This is a spectacular car and you have my most animated THUMBS UP!!!!

I'll just echo what everyone else has said. Beautiful car! You are to be commended for restoring and preserving such a rare car. As I sometimes say, we are curators of cars that, if we did not preserve them, might be turned into soup cans and lost forever. It would be a horrible shame if this Olds met that fate. Again, congratulations on a terrific job.

Back